Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy set winter wheels so I have a spare wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not happy about not having a spare wheel. Flats always happen when you need to get somewhere. So I've been thinking about carrying a spare (especially on longer trips). I've also been thinking about a set of winter wheels & tyres.
For £1400 I can get 4 alloy wheels, 4 Michelin CrossClimate+ and 4 TPMS sensors from lkperformance.co.uk. I could then take one of my winter wheels on long trips.

Browse for your perfect pair of iconic alloy wheels for your Tesla Model 3 - LK Performance

Anybody used lkperformance?

Will I have problems getting their TPMS sensors to pair with the car?

£1366 Wheels Tyres TPMS.png

A second set of wheels saves money on mounting and balancing, reduces the chances of tire damage during mounting, makes DIY changes easier, and because wheel cosmetic damage usually happens in winter allows you to have a nice set and a beater set for winter.
I do this myself. I don't bother with a spare, even when on long trips (and I've taken many over the past 6.5 years). Tire selection is important because some tires are more flat resistant than others (runflats are a poor choice always, so I'm not talking about those).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
I also like the idea of a 2nd set of winter wheels for M3 Performance which is on order, especially if they are 18". In the past I have had separate winter wheels/tyres and I will be a bit concerned about how the M3 will handle the odd day with some snow and ice on the OEM 20". However, I had heard that there could be problems clearing the larger brake calipers on the Performance. If you do go ahead with the above, I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with them.

AJP

I suppose one ought to caution about what might happen if you got unlucky and involved in a prang with unmatched tyres re insurance. The other alternative is to punt around scrap yards. If it's for a 3 then I doubt it'll be long before someone writes one off and there ought to be some wrecked S/X around by now. Also factor in heavy enough jack, jack puck and torque wrench.

I'm not happy about not having a spare wheel

I haven't had a spare wheel on any new car I have bought at least the last decade, can't exactly remember before that but pretty sure previous didn't either, so that's likely to be at least last 15 years.

Dead weight hauling it around ... offset against which is the hassle if you rip the sidewall out. I have carried a 12V air-pump and puncture-gunge, and yeah disappointing that isn't standard-kit instead of spare wheel.

I've also been thinking about a set of winter wheels & tyres.

We have had winter tyres on all the family's cars for the last decade or so - ever since driving up an alpine road, snow packed from the valley floor, on Winter Tyres to avoid having to buy chains, and finding it was like night-and-day to all the other chain-using vehicles.

When we go to France we take one "other season wheel" with us belt & braces - but it takes up quite a lot of cargo space. Can smell of rubber too - roof box may be a better place for it, if taking one anyway.

Would love a second set, but nowhere to keep them

Tyre Companies, and even the VW service centre for our last car, offered a storage facility (Winter/Summer) ... not much help if you just want to grab one to tide-over whilst a puncture is being sorted out, need a garden shed for that :)

Does anybody understand the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) relearn procedure when you change all your wheels to the winter set? I'm guessing when TPMS reset is selected the receiver is monitoring 433MHz for new signals. Then when it finds 4 new signals it has to determine which signal is which wheel. When you brake the pressure on the front increases, when you turn the pressure in the outer tyres increases. Is this how it works? I can not think of another option. I'd love to hear from somebody more knowledgeable.

Does anybody understand the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) relearn procedure when you change all your wheels to the winter set? I'm guessing when TPMS reset is selected the receiver is monitoring 433MHz for new signals. Then when it finds 4 new signals it has to determine which signal is which wheel. When you brake the pressure on the front increases, when you turn the pressure in the outer tyres increases. Is this how it works? I can not think of another option. I'd love to hear from somebody more knowledgeable.
Select different/new tires from the screen which causes the system to reset.
The monitoring unit sends a signal to the pressure sensor located in the valve.
Tire pressure does not change when you turn or brake (at least it doesn't for the resolution that the monitoring system or a pressure gauge would have). If you had lab grade equipment installed you might see a difference, but it would be very small.

Reactions: Roy W.
Select different/new tires from the screen which causes the system to reset.
The monitoring unit sends a signal to the pressure sensor located in the valve.
Tire pressure does not change when you turn or brake (at least it doesn't for the resolution that the monitoring system or a pressure gauge would have). If you had lab grade equipment installed you might see a difference, but it would be very small.

I'd only thought of the tyre sensors as transmitters, but if they can receive then it's a step closer to communication. But I still do not understand how the sensor could know which corner of the car it was on. If the only data it outputs is 'I'm alive' and the pressure, then the pressure is the only data the system could use to determine the sensor position on the car.

I'd only thought of the tyre sensors as transmitters, but if they can receive then it's a step closer to communication. But I still do not understand how the sensor could know which corner of the car it was on. If the only data it outputs is 'I'm alive' and the pressure, then the pressure is the only data the system could use to determine the sensor position on the car.
The sensor doesn't know. The monitoring piece knows by measuring the direction from the monitoring piece.

The sensor doesn't know. The monitoring piece knows by measuring the direction from the monitoring piece.

So the receiver has a direction sensitive antenna? Have you any evidence? I wonder why you have to drive the car for 10 mins or so for the system to complete the reset process. I'm still betting on interpretation of pressure data during the reset drive that allows the TPMS to determine the sensor location.

I've done a little more research. Jerry is correct in saying that pressure is not used, which was my guess, and he may be close in saying the monitoring piece knows by 'measuring the direction'.
Two possible systems are details in -
TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS - TPMS PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE PRODUCTION - Swindon Silicon Systems
One is having multiple antennas which then determine position by signal strength.
The other gets rotational information from 2 independent sources and compares them. One source is the ABS sensor on the wheel, and the other is from the TPMS sensor in the wheel. The fact that you have to drive for several minutes suggest that Tesla is using this second method.

I've done a little more research. Jerry is correct in saying that pressure is not used, which was my guess, and he may be close in saying the monitoring piece knows by 'measuring the direction'.
Two possible systems are details in -
TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS - TPMS PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE PRODUCTION - Swindon Silicon Systems
One is having multiple antennas which then determine position by signal strength.
The other gets rotational information from 2 independent sources and compares them. One source is the ABS sensor on the wheel, and the other is from the TPMS sensor in the wheel. The fact that you have to drive for several minutes suggest that Tesla is using this second method.
Unless the UK sensors are different than the NA ones, I get pressure readings after about two blocks (200 m, about a minute).

I think there are two separate questions here - should I get winter tyres?; and should I carry a spare? Having a winter tyre as a spare in summer or a summer tyre as a spare in winter in not a good idea IMHO. The tread patterns are quite different and I would think mixing them on the same axle would cause handling issues.

So far as winter tyres are concerned, it's a much debated point for UK winters. My current car is a BMW 335i (so RWD) and I've got a separate winter set for that. I change to the winters in about Oct and back in March. So far (last 4 years) there's only been one sufficiently bad patch of weather where I've definitely needed them. However, they do give better grip in lower temperatures even if there's no snow or ice on the road.

If your Tesla is the RWD then I'd definitely recommend winter tyres since in snow or ice you could get stranded with summer tyres only. With AWD I think it's less of a requirement. But, it's absolutely true that winter tyres will give you better performance and safety whenever the temperature is lower than about 7 deg C, so if you are the cautious type then it's a good investment for the money.

As to carrying a spare. I used to be very nervous of travelling without one, but I've now done so for the last 6 or 7 years and haven't had a puncture at all over that time. I do however carry a can of slime and a 12V compressor. Personally, I'm OK with it. Only you can decide whether the extra comfort of having one is worth the loss of space, extra weight etc. Remember too that changing tyres in the dark of winter on a busy road is a huge risk in itself. Better for the recovery people to deal with it for the very infrequent times it might happen IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
I assume there is no jack, or even puncture repair kit/ Compressor that comes with the car? or am I wrong?

As for Winter Tyres have used them for years, and tbh personally for me worth every penny, but then I do a lot of night and some very early morning driving when the roads can be icy, with black ice. They just work, it is all about the braking.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I think there are two separate questions here - should I get winter tyres?; and should I carry a spare? Having a winter tyre as a spare in summer or a summer tyre as a spare in winter in not a good idea IMHO. The tread patterns are quite different and I would think mixing them on the same axle would cause handling issues.

What is different to carrying a space saver? Its a temporary solution used at reduced speeds. I don't see it as anything different.

Having a winter tyre as a spare in summer or a summer tyre as a spare in winter in not a good idea IMHO. The tread patterns are quite different and I would think mixing them on the same axle would cause handling issues.

I only carry the wrong-season-tyre when going on a long trip to, e.g. France. I figure it would be a right hassle to obtain a suitable replacement tyre and I'd be better off "limping along" to finish my journey than stranded.

Rest of time I have put on the other-season-wheel at home for the 24 hours that tyre shop takes to get a tyre in - and dropped the wheel off with them so didn't have to hang about for the change etc. But, yeah, no good for long journey / motorway speeds. Probably worth changing both wheels on that axle if its an "at home" thing, rather than a middle-of-France one - there aint room for two spares!

I assume there is no jack, or even puncture repair kit/ Compressor that comes with the car?

No. Tesla sell 12V compressor / gunge pump accessory, but it is not included (and probably not cheap compared to Halford equivalent, or just a "compressed can" equivalent - we've got a couple of those in every car too).

I do however carry a can of slime and a 12V compressor.

I believe there are potential problems using the slime.
a) It might not fix the leak as the slime might not reach the hole location due to the sound deadening foam on the inside of the tyres.
b) It may damage the Tyre Pressure sensor (£45 to replace)
c) Slime has to be removed when the tyre is repaired (extra cost?)