Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Tesla through private limited company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're looking at the dividends on the purchase price. In the "no depreciation example", in year 1, assuming 100% FYA, you'd save 28k on the dividends, assuming you pay yourself out in full, but when the car goes, the CT is 2-3k higher and you'd have 54,990 in the company to pay yourself so you'd pay 28k more, and possibly even more than that if rates go up, in the year the car goes. The net is you are worse off.

The dividend "saving" is effectively against the depreciation and runnng costs for tyres, insurance etc, over the life span of the car, not the purchase price.
An example using very rough figures (please somebody comment if I'm wrong)
Year 1 (first colum is not company car, second column is, car is 100k and 50k for easy figures.
100k - 100k profit
0 - 50k FYA allowance
100k - 50k net profit
18k - 9k corp tax
82k - 41k dividend
28k - 18k dividend tax (need to check my rates are right)

Year 2
100k - 100k profit
0 - 0 FYA
100 - 100 net profit etc

Year 3 sell car
100k - 100k profit
0 - 40k from selling car
100k - 140k net profit after car sale
18k - 26k corp tax
82k - 114k dividend
28k - 40k dividend tax
Figs look good on first glance,

I did spreadsheets for all of this when working out the various options, but also have a half decent accountant who highlighted some other marginal savings.

Do any of you have any view on whether getting car insurance is any more expensive if doing it through the business? I mean purely from a premium/excess point of view, not thinking about tax savings.

I’m currently with Admiral on a family multi-cover thing and I got a quote from them for when I get the MYLR and they want about £2000 per year. I guess I need to go and get quotes if doing it via business. Any recommendations?

Do any of you have any view on whether getting car insurance is any more expensive if doing it through the business? I mean purely from a premium/excess point of view, not thinking about tax savings.

I’m currently with Admiral on a family multi-cover thing and I got a quote from them for when I get the MYLR and they want about £2000 per year. I guess I need to go and get quotes if doing it via business. Any recommendations?
Mine is insured on a personal policy, but with business use.

Direct Line, £400.

Premium paid on company credit card....

There was talk on another thread of getting a business policy etc, but that's overkill and not necessary. The car is already available for personal use so a personal policy with business use specified is adequate. (and cheaper)

Reactions: Nell and Zilla91
My last Tesla I sold for nearly 4K more than I paid, and my current MY could probably also be sold at a profit, if they’d been in my company that profit would have been taxed

(Theoretically) Is that profit something you would be expected to declare on your tax return?

If hypothetically I sell the car in 3 years for the same price

I think the norm would be for someone to then buy another car. If you sell the old car at the price you bought it at then seems likely that a new one would be more expensive ...

But in the scenario where you "cash in" at that point then there is that issue to consider.

Reactions: adambg
I think the norm would be for someone to then buy another car. If you sell the old car at the price you bought it at then seems likely that a new one would be more expensive ...
Good point. I think under normal circumstances where I would be continuing with my Ltd company for the foreseeable future, and if every time I sold a car I immediately buy a new one., well in these cases the tax 'savings' just keep cancelling each other out as time goes on. But I have concluded (pending accountant confirmation!) that my situation may be slightly different in that I plan to shut down the company in about 3-4 years, sell the car, and leave the country. No idea what I'll do when we move but by then I will have genuinely gained from some tax efficiency due to the low 10% rate you pay for Entrepreneurs Relief.

Mine is insured on a personal policy, but with business use.
Re; insurance. I won't actually be using the car for business. It will be entirely for personal use. My accountant said "With the car being owned by the company, you can take out business car insurance which would cover you as an individual to drive the vehicle". This obviously seems worthwhile because it will reduce my CT bill and I'll get the dividend tax savings from not having to withdraw money to personally pay for insurance.

I just have to get a business quote and compare it with my personal quote and decide if it's worth it based on cost vs tax savings.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
(Theoretically) Is that profit something you would be expected to declare on your tax return?

But in the scenario where you "cash in" at that point then there is that issue to consider.
For company assets you record the purchase price (in this case the car attracts 100% FYA), and then the disposal price.
You'd then be liable for CT on the disposal price received.

If it was personally purchased and sold then no, no CGT due on personal car sale.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The CT thing is one to watch, as you say you might get 100% FYA and then pay CT on the sale price, but CT rates are going up so you’d pay tax at a higher rate than you got tax relief at.

When you sell, it’s not what the accountant thinks is acceptable as a valid, free market valuation that matters, it’s what HMRC thinks is fair if they decide to audit.

Another factor is if you do business miles. The rate within the company is 5p a mile, or with a fair bit of pain to justify, the actual charge costs, whereas as your own car you can claim 45p. 10k miles a year and that’s 4K extra you can take out the company tax free.

My last Tesla I sold for nearly 4K more than I paid, and my current MY could probably also be sold at a profit, if they’d been in my company that profit would have been taxed. It is very unusual at the moment but low depreciation, low servicing costs if anything, and some of the other factors mean it’s not a slam dunk. PCP through the company gives you the benefit of protecting you against big depreciation and allows you to buy if the depreciation is low, but they know that so they tend to charge you a little more for the privilege. If you’re likely to end up hit by IR35 and the car has to go, then make sure you’ve an early exit option.
Well said and that’s a very good point worth noting, with proceeds going back to the company with the new rates the amount you pay back could be more than the relief you got initially.

My plan was always to sell the car to myself at some point down the line. But like a lot of people have done, with the trade in values being so high I’m treating myself to a newer one as my one is now worth more than I bought it.

I can’t help but thinking it’s a sweet spot to buy electric cars now. As the years go on, the 100% first year allowance will no doubt go and BIK rates will creep up for sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Reactions: adambg
My 2p worth…

Faced with a large corp tax bill it was a no brainer to give it to Elon rather than Rishi. 100% FYA. 1% (now 2%) BIK. We put all the vehicle-related Xs through the business.

Couple of notes: £400 ins via Direct Line. Noted on policy that comp is owner. DL very cooperative and clearly are used to this - provided it’s not a pool car and it’s just me and the Mrs driving they’re v relaxed.

On the write down if selling, accountant has said if we have a policy of a 5yr straight line write down, this is unlikely to flag with HMRC. Clearly this presents an opportunity for arbitrage but I’ll take further advice if going that way! On that score, were we selling it’d be against the purchase of a new Tesla so I’m relaxed about how that would wash through the balance sheet / P&L.

As I say, for us it was a no brainer. I have a M3 SR+, Mrs now has M3 RWD (she did briefly have e208 but quickly realised the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is beyond shite). Enjoy!

Reactions: adambg and Dommmm
After all the back-and-forth with the accountant and really helpful posts on this thread, I've decided it is worth switching my purchase to a company purchase. So I just emailed Tesla and they changed the details on my account from me to my company, and allowed me to re-apply for finance through my company, which I've just submitted. Decided to go for a HP arrangement instead with a larger deposit because I have some money in the company account lying around.

The price of the car has gone up £1k since I ordered but they are honouring the original price. And the interest rate hasn't increased since I ordered so that's a bonus. My EDD is (and has been for just over a week) Sep 4 - Oct 19, so hoping that doesn't get negatively affected by the change.

Nearer time of delivery I'll have to look into getting car insurance through the company which I've never done before.

Thanks to all for the help and advice!

Nearer time of delivery I'll have to look into getting car insurance through the company which I've never done before.
Careful - if it’s a quote for fleet insurance you’ll prob need a lie down in a dark room with a very stiff drink when they give you the numbers.

With DL (who I’ve been with for years) the conversation was “I’m buying it via the company so that’s on the V5 but it’s ‘my' car“ and all was fine. It’s noted on the policy that “the insured is not the owner or the keeper” (can’t be arsed digging out precise form of words, soz) but I think this is a road well travelled with insurers. Just make sure you can evidence you’ve told them the legal owner and name on the V5 is LtdCo.

DL’s main qualifier was provided it's just you and the Mrs (also a Director) and it’s not a pool car all is good. Still counts as ‘my’ policy for no claims discount etc. And I just put the bill through the P&L as a motor vehicle expense.

Reactions: btc1k and adambg
Careful - if it’s a quote for fleet insurance you’ll prob need a lie down in a dark room with a very stiff drink when they give you the numbers.

With DL (who I’ve been with for years) the conversation was “I’m buying it via the company so that’s on the V5 but it’s ‘my' car“ and all was fine. It’s noted on the policy that “the insured is not the owner or the keeper” (can’t be arsed digging out precise form of words, soz) but I think this is a road well travelled with insurers. Just make sure you can evidence you’ve told them the legal owner and name on the V5 is LtdCo.

DL’s main qualifier was provided it's just you and the Mrs (also a Director) and it’s not a pool car all is good. Still counts as ‘my’ policy for no claims discount etc. And I just put the bill through the P&L as a motor vehicle expense.
isnt it easier to have yourself on the V5?

The owner is your company name, the registered keeper is you.

The car has to be classed as new to qualify for 100% FYA write down. Ex-demo wouldn't be new. You need to be the first person to be registered to the car, the first owner on the log book, which ties back into the owner being your company.