TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Buy this house, get a free Model S...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mcornwell, Apr 3, 2012.

1. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Seller of this house (just reduced $200,000) is throwing in a Model S for the new buyer:
    http://www.getafreetesla.com/

The text says they are #300 on the waiting list (I'm assuming non-Signature).

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Now that's creative selling. Model S aside, even the effort put into the website is impressive.

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Wow! Quite a package! Zillow suggests there's some leeway for bargaining:

1501 Guthrie Dr, Inverness, IL 60010 - Zillow

What's up with the property taxes?! One could buy a Model S every third year or so with that. Gotten too comfortable with the prop tax structure (courtesy Proposition 13) in Calif., I guess.

4. swegman

swegman Member

I noticed the taxes also. Bet that the assessment valuation does not take into account that property values have dropped. My taxes are $18K, "only" because I appealed the assessment valuation and presented comps of recent home sales, which resulted in the valuation being reduced by about $500K. Cities bet that most people do not appeal the assessments of their properties because they don't know better, or don't have the time to do the research and appeal process.

5. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

damn, I thought my property taxes where high in Oregon, guess not.

notice the tax assessment decrease each year from 2007-2008-2009.

6. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Is your property tax something that has to be paid each year, like here in Germany, or something that only has to be paid when you buy/sell a property?

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

You pay it every year. Mine is paid out of a escrow account that gets funded from my mortgage payment. My insurance also gets paid out of the escrow account. Some mortgages require that you do this.

8. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering about the sums involved as swegman spoke about 18K $. Just for comparison, we pay a property tax of less than 25 Euro per year! Then again the property tax varies widely from community to community here in Germany, so at least in that respect we might have been really lucky ;-)

9. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I wonder if the garage is pre wired? I can just imagine the new owner taking delivery of the S and realising they need to hire an electrician for a house that came with an electric car.

10. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

OMG, my property in Menlo Park is valued at the same price, but my 1300 sf home probably fits in this guys garage! My entire lot is less than the square footage of this home! Oh well, difference between Bay Area and Chigaco I guess...

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Tell me about it! My wife keeps poking me into considering moving (back) to the midwest - both of us went to school there (in Illinois and Indiana respectively) and have fond memories of those days. The public schools are better, cost of living is far lower and on and on. I remind her of the horrible winters, humid summers and far more limited (tech) job opportunities when I get a word in edgeways ;)

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

My best friend moved from Boston to Kansas City. With the capital gains from the sale of his ~2500sf home in Boston, he bought a beautiful house on 10 acres, with several useful outbuildings, leaving him with ~$500k from the home sale that he can invest.

13. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

It's okay to move back now. NW Indiana resident here. Our worst winter day this year brought about 6" of snow. It was gone within a week. Property taxes in Indiana are substantially lower than in Illinois, and there are many people in my neighborhood who commute to Chicago. It's gotten so popular that our City runs a bus service.

Can't speak to the availability of technical jobs, though... probably safer to stay in CA for those!

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Then the more you drive electric the worse your winters will get...