Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Used 2019 vs 2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am in a dilemma, and I need a little help.

I am looking to purchase a Used Model S.

My choices are between:

2019 Long Range Raven Refresh (Adaptive Suspension with new stop hold motors) with FSD, 20k miles, for $55k

or

2021 Long Range Current Refresh (with new screen and yolk steering wheel) with FSD, 15k miles, for $74k

From my understanding, these are both fairly good if not great deals (or maybe one is better than the other? not sure, but they are pretty much the lowest I can find)

My dilemma here is the price, I can 100% comfortably afford either with no issues, but is the additional $19k worth it, realistically?

They both have the same amount of use/miles. Range nearly the same give or take 10%ish (i think 2019 is around 375 and I think 2021 can go to 405 potentially)

Both have the same "features" in terms of the stop hold motors and adaptive suspension, not really sure what else changes other than the screen orientation, screen in the back (which does not matter to me, no kids not anyone that would really sit there and use it), and of course the steering wheel.

Am I missing anything else?

Is it truly worth the difference or should I save the $19k?

Only you can decide what is worth it to you. Some would pick a new model 3. Others nothing less than a new plaid S.

One thing that drove me nuts with my X Raven is when they announced it was now “legacy”. Meaning less cool software updates.

When folks say a Tesla is like a big iPhone they are not kidding.

One way to test yourself is. Are you the type that has to get the latest iPhone every year or two? Or do you keep them for 2-3 years? Buying a Raven is like buying an iPhone that only gets security updates ;)

That shouldn’t make a difference. But once you get used to things it does.

I just saw Birds Eye view parking today, for the first time. Awesome. I’d be really bummed if I didn’t get that feature.

Upvote 0
Here's a long list of feature differences between the 2023 LR/Plaid and the 2021 LR+/Performance (Raven). Model S Comparison for 2021 – TeslaTap

While not exactly the 2021 and 2019 you are considering, they are very close respectively. Hard to weigh the $19K difference for your personal affordability. I think the newer car is worth all the improvements Tesla has made, but it's still a $19K difference. Getting a full two years of warranty shouldn't be discounted either (the battery & Drive unit would have 6 more years) with the 2021 you're considering.

Upvote 0
Only you can decide what is worth it to you. Some would pick a new model 3. Others nothing less than a new plaid S.

One thing that drove me nuts with my X Raven is when they announced it was now “legacy”. Meaning less cool software updates.

When folks say a Tesla is like a big iPhone they are not kidding.

One way to test yourself is. Are you the type that has to get the latest iPhone every year or two? Or do you keep them for 2-3 years? Buying a Raven is like buying an iPhone that only gets security updates ;)

That shouldn’t make a difference. But once you get used to things it does.

I just saw Birds Eye view parking today, for the first time. Awesome. I’d be really bummed if I didn’t get that feature.
where did you see birds eye view parking? in a tesla? am i missing something?

Upvote 0