Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyback, Followed by a Rejection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll keep this brief:

July: Purchased a 16xxx MY LR
July - Aug: Reported multiple issues (DU whine, panel alignment, paint uniformity, etc)
Early Sep: Several significant defects were unresolved after 24 days in service. Requested and received buyback.
Mid Sep: Reordered a new MY LR, this time in MSM (64xxx)
Nov: Inspected and rejected the new MY for various reasons, some of which are depicted below (not comprehensive)

My SA (who was pretty great) was willing to work with me to resolve these items but I no longer have the patience to deal with Tesla service. Cancelled my order.

Best of luck to everyone!

View media item 121900View media item 121899View media item 121898View media item 121897View media item 121896View media item 121895

I'll keep this brief:

July - Aug: Reported multiple issues (DU whine, panel alignment, paint uniformity, etc)
Early Sep: Several significant defects were unresolved after 24 days in service. Requested and received buyback.
Nov: Inspected and rejected the new MY for various reasons, some of which are depicted below (not comprehensive)

My SA (who was pretty great) was willing to work with me to resolve these items but I no longer have the patience to deal with Tesla service. Cancelled my order.

View media item 121900View media item 121899View media item 121898View media item 121897View media item 121896View media item 121895
Unable to view!!

I'll keep this brief:

Wow. The lower front door edge has already been dragging the fender. I agree with your rejection. I've had two Teslas, a Model 3 and now a Model Y. Neither was perfect at delivery, but certainly within the limits of what you should expect from a manufactured item in the 21st century. It is time for Tesla to address this problem, but will not likely happen while they push to meet demand. I understand the mission, but it is time to work to build a reputation for quality as well.

JPFIVE, Totally agree.
Brown1428, I'm sorry for your poor experience. I'm about to play the tesla lotto, and I'm trying to figure out a backup plan in case the tesla quality is below my expectation.

Well, let me encourage you. The excitement and owner satisfaction that come from driving a cutting edge product is its own reward. Don't expect perfection, but don't accept gross inattention either. Even folks who spend high six figures for luxury automobiles are sometimes disappointed with fit and finish - especially damage from transport and mishandling. In the final analysis, these cars are appliances - as much as it pains me to admit it. However, I have absolutely loved both of mine.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Ugh. Not happy about QC issues. I'm OCD about fit and finish, never disappointed with 2009-2018 VW, Toyota, Ford, Cadillac, even Nissan (with a few minor exceptions.)
Inspected a totally new 2020 MY, gray, on the showroom floor yesterday. Looked pretty good, although the gray seems to hide panel defects better than red.
My fear is my family will push me to accept a car with fit and finish issues, and they'll bug me for the life of ownership.

Well, let me encourage you. The excitement and owner satisfaction that come from driving a cutting edge product is its own reward. Don't expect perfection, but don't accept gross inattention either. Even folks who spend high six figures for luxury automobiles are sometimes disappointed with fit and finish - especially damage from transport and mishandling. In the final analysis, these cars are appliances - as much as it pains me to admit it. However, I have absolutely loved both of mine.
Thank you for your words of encouragement, I'm trying to stay positive, but seeing the defects above is discouraging.
Tesla if you're listening, please focus on QUALITY !

• Funny
Ugh. Not happy about QC issues. I'm OCD about fit and finish, never disappointed with 2009-2018 VW, Toyota, Ford, Cadillac, even Nissan (with a few minor exceptions.)
Inspected a totally new 2020 MY, gray, on the showroom floor yesterday. Looked pretty good, although the gray seems to hide panel defects better than red.
My fear is my family will push me to accept a car with fit and finish issues, and they'll bug me for the life of ownership.
I can certainly understand your position and feel I'm in a similar spot. I ordered 10/26 and looks like you are around the same time.

and, we took delivery of VIN 60,3xx (one of the first 400 made for 2021) and I figured after the 3rd quarter rush to push numbers through it would be perfect. But, alas, it wasn't but it was pretty close. They are NEVER perfect, just defects that people don't notice. The big seat scratch, the one really bad panel in one of your pictures...I can understand as we rejected a Y the last Sunday of September because it had a few defects (one which I have never seen on another Y yet). Our 2021 replacement had drivers door adjustment and the rear liftgate on the drivers side where it meets the tail lamp was off a bit. Both issues fixed.

And, here's the worst part. It's only going to get worse in the next few weeks as Tesla pushes for end of the year numbers. They REALLY want to hit their target of 500K total cars this year, even with the pandemic. So you might start to see many complaints in mid December to early January of lots of defects. Funny thing is, as bad as the car was that we rejected, a person just ordering and not knowing about Tesla's panel gaps and other defects wouldn't know to look for these things.

That being said, unless you have a lease coming due or need to replace a car that isn't working right away, even if you reject 2 cars I would keep going until you get the car that meets your standards. I say that as we truly enjoy driving the Y and love the way the white/white looks so rich with the black wheels. Many things like gaps can be fixed if not too bad. Good luck in whatever you decide. (btw, we also own a Model 3 since 2018...with all their problems ramping up, we took delivery in the first week of August 2018 and had NO problems at all).

and, we took delivery of VIN 60,3xx (one of the first 400 made for 2021) and I figured after the 3rd quarter rush to push numbers through it would be perfect. But, alas, it wasn't but it was pretty close. They are NEVER perfect, just defects that people don't notice. The big seat scratch, the one really bad panel in one of your pictures...I can understand as we rejected a Y the last Sunday of September because it had a few defects (one which I have never seen on another Y yet). Our 2021 replacement had drivers door adjustment and the rear liftgate on the drivers side where it meets the tail lamp was off a bit. Both issues fixed.

And, here's the worst part. It's only going to get worse in the next few weeks as Tesla pushes for end of the year numbers. They REALLY want to hit their target of 500K total cars this year, even with the pandemic. So you might start to see many complaints in mid December to early January of lots of defects. Funny thing is, as bad as the car was that we rejected, a person just ordering and not knowing about Tesla's panel gaps and other defects wouldn't know to look for these things.

That being said, unless you have a lease coming due or need to replace a car that isn't working right away, even if you reject 2 cars I would keep going until you get the car that meets your standards. I say that as we truly enjoy driving the Y and love the way the white/white looks so rich with the black wheels. Many things like gaps can be fixed if not too bad. Good luck in whatever you decide. (btw, we also own a Model 3 since 2018...with all their problems ramping up, we took delivery in the first week of August 2018 and had NO problems at all).

I bought a 2021 Lexus. It was cheaper than the Model Y. It's slow, but it's also quiet and comfortable. It's driving assistance system is less sophisticated but I have yet to experience a single phantom braking event. It has ventilated seats. It has CarPlay. Most importantly, it was manufactured with the highest standards of precision and workmanship. Not a single defect of any kind. Perfect.

I bought a 2021 Lexus. It was cheaper than the Model Y. It's slow, but it's also quiet and comfortable. It's driving assistance system is less sophisticated but I have yet to experience a single phantom braking event. It has ventilated seats. It has CarPlay. Most importantly, it was manufactured with the highest standards of precision and workmanship. Not a single defect of any kind. Perfect.
Lexus makes reliable cars, I find them behind in technology, under powered and not as much fun to drive. I don’t like how they look either. Build quality is top notch and they will last forever. Did you get the hybrid? I looked at Lexus RH450. We already have 2 Acura MDXs. I did not even need a new car so I had trouble buying Lexus. My MY came with a few defects but overall build quality was not bad. I did not buy any accessories until I got the MY as I was very aware of quality issues.

Lexus makes reliable cars, I find them behind in technology, under powered and not as much fun to drive. I don’t like how they look either. Build quality is top notch and they will last forever. Did you get the hybrid? I looked at Lexus RH450. We already have 2 Acura MDXs. I did not even need a new car so I had trouble buying Lexus. My MY came with a few defects but overall build quality was not bad. I did not buy any accessories until I got the MY as I was very aware of quality issues.

I didn't get the hybrid. It's a RX350L AWD. The the RX's tech was updated in 2020 and it's pretty good, although it's still not on par with Audi or Merc. I agree that it's not the least bit fun to drive, but after several months of frustration with Tesla I'm embracing the quiet, comfortable, and stress free driving experience offered by the Lexus!