Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyback for FSD Not Working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
I am coming up on 3 years of ownership of my Model 3 and getting tired of waiting for FSD to be usable. Autopark is a joke 5 years after introduction. FSD is not anywhere near what was promised (pending validation and regulatory approval). Will I have to wait 5 years or maybe 10 years for Tesla to get this working?

I don't usually keep my cars past factory warranty running out. I have no faith Tesla will have this working anytime soon. Has anyone asked Tesla to buy the car back since they cannot get it working after years of trying?

I am coming up on 3 years of ownership of my Model 3 and getting tired of waiting for FSD to be usable. Autopark is a joke 5 years after introduction. FSD is not anywhere near what was promised (pending validation and regulatory approval). Will I have to wait 5 years or maybe 10 years for Tesla to get this working?
By that timeline, guessing you bought FSD before they moved the goalposts in 3/2019? If so, 5 or 10 years is probably the best case scenario.

I don't usually keep my cars past factory warranty running out. I have no faith Tesla will have this working anytime soon.
Same boat. I've got a couple thousand miles left, and didn't plan on still having the car at this point.

Has anyone asked Tesla to buy the car back since they cannot get it working after years of trying?

Good luck. They don't care.

I bought FSD when I ordered a new P100D in Apr/18, I was excited to be among the first to experience cutting edge tech. I eventually figured out the truth which is I was lied to, misled, and I feel like a sucker for believing things Elon said about FSD.

I learned that Tesla does not refund FSD and in fact sometimes remove it on trade-ins and re-charge the new owner for it. I traded the car off at another brand dealer for quite a loss sooner than I thought. I learned an expensive lesson, and Tesla won’t fool me again. Unfortunately you’re screwed a.k.a. “Musked”.

(pending validation and regulatory approval)

This means it may never come out. We were all okay with it when we ordered FSD. Elon can say what he wants, but they can't validate the software that it's 100% safe. Feds won't approve hands free autonomous cars until it's proven safe. Tesla is rewriting the software to make it better so it'll take time.

I want my FSD too, but I don't think it'll be out anytime soon. It'll be a gimmick like advanced summon when it's out. You can drive the car better, faster, and safer than FSD. You will never ride in the back seat and watch Netflix in your Model 3 or sleep on a long road trip.

I bought my AWD 8/2018. EM was talking about a coast to coast autonomous drive before the end of the year. What is the move of the goal posts?

Up until ~March 2019 they were selling something they described as offering at least L4 self driving.

After 3/19 they instead sell an explicitly L2 system with just a bullet point list of features. That's all those buyers are promised. They MIGHT get more than that but it's not what they're purchasing during the sales process.

And all the "regulator" disclaimers are 100% nonsense. L5 FSD is already legal in a bunch of US states- just nobody has a working system to deploy.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't have to wait on regulators to deploy it OTHER places, but it's never been a legit concern stopping them from deploying it AT ALL.

Reactions: Tim42069
Up until ~March 2019 they were selling something they described as offering at least L4 self driving.

After 3/19 they instead sell an explicitly L2 system with just a bullet point list of features. That's all those buyers are promised. They MIGHT get more than that but it's not what they're purchasing during the sales process.

oh boy.... aren’t the enough topics discussing the meaning of the word?

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
It's probably not worth trying to sue Tesla, but I do recommend you never buy from them again. That's my plan. Great cars, despicable company.

I mean, Ford and GM both, repeatedly, chose to keep making known defective cars that killed people because paying the occasional wrongful death suit was cheaper than fixing a $1 part on a lot of cars....VW repeatedly cheated emissions testing to save a buck, and tested exhaust fumes in labs on moneys and humans to see what they did....

Tesla was overly aggressive in their targets for driving aid features. Which doesn't exactly seem comparable, but ok...

So which high ethics car company are you gonna go with exactly?

I mean, Ford and GM both, repeatedly, chose to keep making known defective cars that killed people because paying the occasional wrongful death suit was cheaper than fixing a $1 part on a lot of cars....VW repeatedly cheated emissions testing to save a buck, and tested exhaust fumes in labs on moneys and humans to see what they did....

Tesla was overly aggressive in their targets for driving aid features. Which doesn't exactly seem comparable, but ok...

So which high ethics car company are you gonna go with exactly?
You are a good poster.
Don't begin sentences with "I mean" or "So"
be better

It's probably not worth trying to sue Tesla, but I do recommend you never buy from them again. That's my plan. Great cars, despicable company.

(personal opinion post only. Does not represent TMC, moderators, moderation content or anything else other than my personal opinion)

One thing I dont understand, is someone who says something like the above (Basically, "I will never buy from them again") still visiting and being active on a website devoted to that company. That makes zero sense to me.

I totally get "I wont do business with them anymore", I have done that before. I stopped going to Denny's for like 15 years because of how I was treated in one. I did NOT go into the restaurant every day and try to tell everyone else 'I am never coming here again" though.

If you are not buying "anything every again" from Tesla, and dont own one of their current products, why are you still posting about them?

If you are not buying "anything every again" from Tesla, and dont own one of their current products, why are you still posting about them?
I feel it’s relevant to share my experience, I’ve been here far longer than you BTW. Did you pay $10,000 for vaporware like me?

There’s another topic on the go right now that shows 45-47% of current TMC members are not going to buy another Tesla. Perhaps you should suggest they leave as well?

it’s true as of now I would not buy another Tesla for various reasons. I’m not even anti-Tesla (honestly), if they can get their sugar together in a few years I may be back behind the yoke. There is too much hype & promises so I’ll buy actual delivered features only.

(personal opinion post only. Does not represent TMC, moderators, moderation content or anything else other than my personal opinion)

One thing I dont understand, is someone who says something like the above (Basically, "I will never buy from them again") still visiting and being active on a website devoted to that company. That makes zero sense to me.

I totally get "I wont do business with them anymore", I have done that before. I stopped going to Denny's for like 15 years because of how I was treated in one. I did NOT go into the restaurant every day and try to tell everyone else 'I am never coming here again" though.

They wouldn't honor your expired coupon for all-you-can-eat Chocolate chip banana pancakes?

I feel it’s relevant to share my experience, I’ve been here far longer than you BTW. Did you pay $10,000 for vaporware like me?

No, I paid 7k for FSD, because I liked the feature set it had at the time, but that isnt relevant. If you bought it "years ago" you didnt pay 10k either, you likely paid 8k. That isnt really relevant either to the question, and neither is how long you or I have been here.

What you are doing is the equivalent of what I said in my other post, which is going to the restaurant and trying to tell everyone who enters the place "dont eat here, I will never eat here again!"

Like I said, I dont get it. You certainly are not the only person who does this, there are plenty here that do it, but they usually dont clearly say "I am never buying anything from them again".

They wouldn't honor your expired coupon for all-you-can-eat Chocolate chip banana pancakes?

No, what happened to me there was actually not any type of funny situation, and I am not going into it here except to say that it was a business I have not stepped foot in since, and that was almost 30 years ago now.