Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer anxiety - help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi first time poster. So ordered a Model Y, got my estimated delivery September 14 - September 30. Very excited to own my first Tesla but also very nervous that months after I receive mine a new one will come out with much longer range using the new batteries and some form of adjustable suspension.

I know with tech this happens all the time, but this isn't a $800 Iphone here, this is a 50K + car. And the rumors of what's coming next for the Y with longer range and smoother ride are huge.

I really want my Y, can't stop watching videos and reading these forums, but on the other hand I don't really need it right now. But with Tesla and Elon you never really know if the estimates and rumors are real. Last thing I read was that the Y's from Austin plant will have the new batteries, and Musk said limited quantity Q4, large volume Q1.

Thanks
Paul

I was the same way then decided to send it and purchase. My EDD is out to December so the improvements felt more realistic to me. But we have two aging cars and this one will serve us fantastically for the next several years. It's already going to be a massive leap over our 12+ year old cars. When the second aging car is due to be replaced, we'll be able to take advantage of the EV technology curve even more. Plus, the 4680 batteries are probably 8-10 months out before the first productions start easing into any type of rhythm, and the full benefits of the new setup probably won't be realized for another 18 months as production shifts from Fremont to exclusively Texas.

Teslas - to me - are the first cars that I can remember where we felt this way. Kind of like how PCs were in the 90s -- every new version seemed to double in speed and performance. That's why I used to say back then, "I wish Silicon Valley made cars. "

But it should be this way for quite a while with Tesla and hopefully every other car in EV space ... continual innovation... which is good. More than likely the next version isn't a couple of months away anyway. And once you get the next one, there will be another, better one after that. Also the prices are creeping up, unless you'd get the standard version if they go back to that.

Besides you can always sell your model Y for more than new like everyone else seems to. lol

Hi first time poster. So ordered a Model Y, got my estimated delivery September 14 - September 30. Very excited to own my first Tesla but also very nervous that months after I receive mine a new one will come out with much longer range using the new batteries and some form of adjustable suspension.

I know with tech this happens all the time, but this isn't a $800 Iphone here, this is a 50K + car. And the rumors of what's coming next for the Y with longer range and smoother ride are huge.

I really want my Y, can't stop watching videos and reading these forums, but on the other hand I don't really need it right now. But with Tesla and Elon you never really know if the estimates and rumors are real. Last thing I read was that the Y's from Austin plant will have the new batteries, and Musk said limited quantity Q4, large volume Q1.

Thanks
Paul
It doesn’t matter what you buy, there’ll be better ones out later. Your Tesla will also get better as time goes on, the car gets new firmware every month or two. As far as range goes, batteries will improve. The thing is you can wait your life away. When the range improves, there will be something else that will make you consider waiting again, and then again, and again.

The bottom line is that if you like the car, and you can live with the current specs, then go for it. These cars are absolutely awesome. None of us charge up to 100% then drive it down to 0% so the published spec isn’t really meaningful. It will let you compare various range specifications but beyond that the actual range will vary depending on the way you drive but the most important will be the speed you drive. Like to drive 80? You won’t get anything like the claimed range. Drive 65-70, the car will do well. Mine has a range of 258 miles. That’s plenty. I can drive cross country, supercharger to supercharger, no problems at all. I stop every 3 hours or so. I’m happy with that. Mostly I drive around town, I keep it charged to 200 miles and I never have a problem. If leaving on a trip, I charge fully timed for the time I leave.

Take Elon’s time claims with a grain of salt. His time estimates are unrealistically optimistic. If you are waiting for something he’s claimed will be available in a certain period of time, pay attention to what he’s claimed but toss his calendar into the garbage. I don’t think he means to mislead, I just think his sense of time is impaired. Well, really not impaired, it’s missing. Absent.

I’m blissfully happy with my Tesla. It’s been 4 years. I’m glad I didn’t wait. It’s the best car I’ve ever had. I do keep cars a long time. They’re usually old enough to vote.

So you decide what‘s right for you. But if I was OK with the range of the current one, I wouldn’t tick away my birthdays waiting for new batteries.

Reactions: DDubbsEV