Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is very frustrating about this situation is a couple hundred dollar detailing and better communication could have resolved most of the issues and made you feel a lot better about the process.

The CPO process is in dire need of standardization.

Reactions: R.S
What is very frustrating about this situation is a couple hundred dollar detailing and better communication could have resolved most of the issues and made you feel a lot better about the process.

The CPO process is in dire need of standardization.

The CPO process IMHO is simply in need of transparency.

If they had to show photos of the actual car up for sale, they will not deliver filthy cars like this because at the least it will force them to bring the car up to a certain standard before selling and delivering it.

All the more why no one should pay for a CPO car before seeing it in person. You could end up with an immaculate car or one that had the living daylights beaten out of it.

Tesla stores are such an oddity - I really don’t know how they work, and how/if the employees there are incentivized beyond their hourly pay. I know there is something in it for them if their name is on your transaction, but I don’t think that if there’s a commission it’s anywhere near a traditional car dealership.

So that said - what’s in it for them to push this car out of the door like this? It doesn’t sound like you took delivery on 3/31 and were therefore rushed into a Q1 delivery. If a detailer had even tried, the carpets would have been clean, the mint, yarmulka, and toothpick would have been gone, and the headliner would be damaged but at least clean. Then all it would have taken to make you happy is to talk about the chip on the hood and maybe the scratches on the console, and negotiate perhaps a repair on the headliner. And I sense that you were enthusiastic enough that you wouldn’t have let that set of issues ruin this for you

I don’t mean to minimize the Bluetooth issue, but you’re not the only one of the forum experiencing that....

Here’s hoping you somehow get this resolved to your satisfaction. I feel for you.

Totally agree with you

Here how I look at it:
If I had received the car the way it is, tell them next day and send photos just like I did, and they say oops we forgot to detail it - no worries we will get it done for you.
Problem solved. I get it that mistakes do happen and I’ll generally give people a chance to make it right.
Instead they goofed around for a few weeks. Screening my calls and not calling back.
What really got me is that jerk of a manager telling me it’s too expensive sending a truck to pick the damn car up.

I’m not the type to post negative things either but I really feel like I should share the story. Hopefully this will help people make better choices.

Reactions: flynlyon3
I just honestly can't believe they delivered a car to you like that. How much did you pay for this car?

Have you heard anything new from them about how they are going to fix this for you?

Looks like the car was used as a taxi or some type of a delivery service by someone who completely did not care about the car. Did someone not have to sign off on this car before it was delivered? If they could not bother to even wipe down the interior how can you trust they actually inspected the car?

Reactions: Guy V
I just honestly can't believe they delivered a car to you like that. How much did you pay for this car?

Have you heard anything new from them about how they are going to fix this for you?

Looks like the car was used as a taxi or some type of a delivery service by someone who completely did not care about the car. Did someone not have to sign off on this car before it was delivered? If they could not bother to even wipe down the interior how can you trust they actually inspected the car?

Supposedly I'm getting a loaner sometime between Thursday and Saturday. Price was $63K, total bill with taxes is $70K.
can you imagine how you would feel paying that much for a car you feel grossed just by sitting in?

And like I said, I understand that mistakes happen, but the reality is that it took 5 weeks for them to move on this.

Supposedly I'm getting a loaner sometime between Thursday and Saturday. Price was $63K, total bill with taxes is $70K.
can you imagine how you would feel paying that much for a car you feel grossed just by sitting in?

And like I said, I understand that mistakes happen, but the reality is that it took 5 weeks for them to move on this.

Glad that they are arranging for you to have a loaner so that means they will take the car back to hopefully do a thorough reconditioning before they deliver the car to you.

To avoid this situation again, now is the time for you to go over the car very carefully and make a list of EVERYTHING you need them to address. Make a list, share it with them, and have them agree to fix everything on your list, as otherwise you may find something else and go through this all over again. Have you checked the condition of the brakes and the paint?

Also I think you should ask for a couple of annual service visits to make up for the horrible experience. I think that's a more than fair request given how badly they ruined the delivery experience for you.

I can totally empathize with you and you have been exceedingly patient. If it were me, I would have taken photos of the car to document the poor condition, and then refused to accept the car when it was delivered, and ask them to take the car back and return the money. It's also a matter of respect or lack thereof when they deliver a CPO car that's all trashed up.

Sorry to hear this. That car needs more than detailing in my opinion, headliner replacement is in order. Unfortunately they have to remove the front window to do that.

Unfortunate that the service manager isn’t very nice. The manager here in San Diego is incredibly nice and wouldn’t blink an eye at helping you out. He is by far the nicest service manager I have ever dealt with. This and the fact there is no dealer to go through are the primary reasons I have stayed with Tesla, definitely not for the build quality.

Sorry to hear this. That car needs more than detailing in my opinion, headliner replacement is in order. Unfortunately they have to remove the front window to do that.

Unfortunate that the service manager isn’t very nice. The manager here in San Diego is incredibly nice and wouldn’t blink an eye at helping you out. He is by far the nicest service manager I have ever dealt with. This and the fact there is no dealer to go through are the primary reasons I have stayed with Tesla, definitely not for the build quality.

A good detailer can remove that dirt. One of the pictures is just from having the door seal untucked, it's not a flaw. Just push it back in. All superficial stuff.

Reactions: Evoforce

I bought a used leaf for $9k from a random car dealer in another state off of Autotrader that was pristine like new with everything perfect but the new car smell that would go over better with a random US citizen as the judge of its condition than that Tesla CPO you got. I've had it for several years with no regrets on the purchase at all and will never see that dealer again.

A $30k to $100k CPO should be much nicer than a random post auction leaf. And you have to deal with Tesla service for years to come. For that price premium some TLC / hand holding is expected on a purchase.

If the CPO has a scratch inside or a stain I can live with it but not totally uncleaned, with dozens of minor issues as though no one ever even looked at it.

My god, just make it look better than a Nissan Leaf inside so people don't have regret stories.

Last edited:
I bought a used leaf for $9k from a random car dealer in another state off of Autotrader that was pristine like new with everything perfect but the new car smell that would go over better with a random US citizen as the judge of its condition than that Tesla CPO you got. I've had it for several years with no regrets on the purchase at all and will never see that dealer again.

A $30k to $100k CPO should be much nicer than a random post auction leaf. And you have to deal with Tesla service for years to come. For that price premium some TLC / hand holding is expected on a purchase.

If the CPO has a scratch inside or a stain I can live with it but not totally uncleaned, with dozens of minor issues as though no one ever even looked at it.

My god, just make it look better than a Nissan Leaf inside so people don't have regret stories.

This is what I find the most distressing. That someone could not care less to even clean up the car before delivery and when the matter was brought to their attention, they essentially ignored the customer for weeks.

We've bought many cars from dealers in the past new and used and the CPO cars we've bought have all been delivered in almost like new condition. It just shows respect for the customer buying the car and makes a big difference when you drive home a car that is clean and in good condition.

I feel sorry for the OP because the excitement of buying a $70K car has been ruined because someone could not care less. When he brought the matter to their attention, they should have fixed this immediately. Instead now they'll have to fix the issue and deal with all the negative publicity that tarnishes the CPO Program.

No one comes ahead here. It's bad for the customer and bad for Tesla. Easily avoidable if someone just cared.

Does Tesla not have someone to take ownership of and run the CPO program?

Could you get a budget allocation from Tesla and find a local detailer? See how good they can do?

This should not be the OP's problem to solve though. He bought a CPO car and it should be delivered in acceptable condition for a CPO car. Clearly someone failed to even do a basic inspection of the interior of the car before delivery.

He also deserves a Tesla loaner while the car is being fixed up.