Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing some of these pictures remind me of why I'll never do a tan interior again. This car definitely looks as if it didn't actually go through the CPO process. My used Tesla was SPOTLESS on the interior, but I wouldn't have accepted it if it had anywhere near the amount of blemishes that I see in the photos you provided.

Not sure I follow your theory. I personally love the tan and cream interior in a Model S and I've always had light interiors n my cars and they have all been spotless and in immaculate condition. I detest black interiors for the same reason as I want to see if something is not clean.

The problem here is not the interior color but the fact that they trashed the OP's car before it was sold to him and did not have the courtesy to refurbish the car or the decency to immediately make things right.

I agree, I would have absolutely refused to accept this car if it was delivered in half as poor condition it was delivered to the OP. The lesson to learn here is to NEVER pay for a CPO car until you have seen and inspected it in person.

First my CPO experience was 180 from yours. I had to look under the car to tell it was used, it was in that good of a condition.
People can't believe its a used car from their service.

I too treat cars well, I even hand washed a loaner since I was going to be using it to drive around all weekend and why treat a brand new 100D less than it deserved because it was "just a loaner". The SC appreciated my care and told me horror stories of how people return cars,, what a shame..

Not sure I follow your theory. I personally love the tan and cream interior in a Model S and I've always had light interiors n my cars and they have all been spotless and in immaculate condition. I detest black interiors for the same reason as I want to see if something is not clean.

The problem here is not the interior color but the fact that they trashed the OP's car before it was sold to him and did not have the courtesy to refurbish the car or the decency to immediately make things right.

I agree, I would have absolutely refused to accept this car if it was delivered in half as poor condition it was delivered to the OP. The lesson to learn here is to NEVER pay for a CPO car until you have seen and inspected it in person.

I don't think they trashed it prior to delivery.
I believe the car came to them in such condition and, despite the fact Tesla said it'd recondition it, deliver it to the customer in the same condition.

Reactions: Guy V
It's insane that they would leave you hanging with a car in such condition. It's a big 180 from my experience with the service centers. If I had to guess, this post will trigger someone to contact you soon and get it fixed. (It's a shame it had to come to this though)

Reactions: Guy V
I am quite amazed at the detail of damage on this car...

Outside of the fact that Tesla didn't provide you with anything regarding the car prior to delivery (photos/etc) would be a red flag from the start.

I have purchased COP cars (from outside dealers) and have always been provide spec and photos when I the car wasn't available to view.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a CPO car look as bad or be personally treated by a service center/salesman in the fashion that you have.

Based on the lack of communication or (in this case) being totally ignored, I would have my lawyer get involved and get the car replaced or get the money back.

It is very clear that Tesla has defaulted on the CPO agreement regarding the car condition in general. Car was not detailed. Did they provide anything in writing as to the certification? Was there anything they repaired or checked to get it certified? If not, all this clearly rolls in your favor if you have to get legal.

The big issue is that you must use the car for transportation and that furthers the bad condition of the car... No one want s to drive around in a pig pen....

First my CPO experience was 180 from yours. I had to look under the car to tell it was used, it was in that good of a condition.
People can't believe its a used car from their service.

I too treat cars well, I even hand washed a loaner since I was going to be using it to drive around all weekend and why treat a brand new 100D less than it deserved because it was "just a loaner". The SC appreciated my care and told me horror stories of how people return cars,, what a shame..

I honestly think Tesla should charge MASSIVE fees for people who trash service loaners. This is the only way some will learn to respect property that does not belong to them. When you return your loaner, someone should go through the exterior and interior and bill the person for all damages to the vehicles plus a $250 detailing fee if the car was trashed. Such people should them from now on receive a Ford Focus as a service loaner.

I don't think they trashed it prior to delivery.
I believe the car came to them in such condition and, despite the fact Tesla said it'd recondition it, deliver it to the customer in the same condition.

I obviously did not mean that the car was trashed on purpose but the car was allowed to be trashed while it was in the CPO fleet under their care and ownership, which is the same as allowing the car to be trashed. And then they did not fix it before delivery and from what I can tell WEEKS after delivery.

I think the OP has been too patient. I would have gone nuclear by the second day of getting the run-around.

Reactions: matein8 and Guy V
I’m curious, has anyone successfully returned a purchased Tesla, CPO or otherwise? Or even heard of someone who did?

A new car would be a lot easier but a CPO is going to be really tricky if you want to force them to do a buy back.

I hate to say this but this is why before you buy a used car you must insist on inspecting it in person. I would not have been trusting as you but sadly you are in this situation because you trusted Tesla to deliver a CPO car in like new condition.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I obviously did not mean that the car was trashed on purpose but the car was allowed to be trashed while it was in the CPO fleet under their care and ownership, which is the same as allowing the car to be trashed. And then they did not fix it before delivery and from what I can tell WEEKS after delivery.

I think the OP has been too patient. I would have gone nuclear by the second day of getting the run-around.

I DID go nuclear. On pretty everybody. Guy who sold it doesn’t answer answer my calls or emails any more after seeing the pictures. SC gives me the famous “I’ll call you back”
And when they eventually do they are rude and tell me it’s too expensive to send a truck with loaner.
Cali have nothing to say other than “we are putting it in our escalations system”.

After 5 weeks (and counting) this post is my way of going nuclear.

tbh you should of been more careful on your part

you should of checked the whole car before accepting delivery. i would not have done delivery at night time.

let alone, 70k is way overpriced for a 85D with 40k miles even if it was in mint condition/fully loaded.

overall you have to remember these are still sales people and not your friends

Reactions: Guy V and ACA Man
tbh you should of been more careful on your part

you should of checked the whole car before accepting delivery. i would not have done delivery at night time.

let alone, 70k is way overpriced for a 85D with 40k miles even if it was in mint condition/fully loaded.

overall you have to remember these are still sales people and not your friends

You’re absolutely right.

I held the company in high standards and thought this BS is beyond them. After all, if the car is good enough for Tesla to sell as CPO then who am I to say otherwise.

I definitely regret falling for the trap. Hence the word Scam in the title.

I knew I was overpaying but I was without a car and convinced myself that overpaying is ok bc the car is kind of worth it. Plus I thought that Tesla have earned the right to overcharge.

You’re absolutely right.

I held the company in high standards and thought this BS is beyond them. After all, if the car is good enough for Tesla to sell as CPO then who am I to say otherwise.

I definitely regret falling for the trap. Hence the word Scam in the title.

I knew I was overpaying but I was without a car and convinced myself that overpaying is ok bc the car is kind of worth it. Plus I thought that Tesla have earned the right to overcharge.

You should send a tweet to Elon.