Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I was already wary of buying a new Model S sight unseen. A used/CPO is just scary. I hope they can resolve your issues, because anyone considering a CPO will probably come across this thread.

Did you see the latest change to their CPO Program? They've made it considerably worse.

So the plan now is they will offer CPO cars not refurbished like anyone would expect but with a bill for fixing everything broken or damaged with the car.

Reactions: Guy V
With Tesla's new disclaimer I fully expect to see more threads like this.

They've literally made their CPO Program the absolute worst in the automotive industry. It's like they've given up even the pretense of trying to make the cars look presentable before they are ofered for sale. The disclaimer basically says the car is mechanically sound but that is it so they could offer CPO cars with horse manure all over the place and it would still pass their new low bar for CPO. I guess then they will give you a bill for cleaning the horse manure :p

... I guess then they will give you a bill for cleaning the horse manure :p

Never mind cleaning it, the bill will be for including it in the first place... :)

For the OP, it would seem that what you received was actually just an beta test for the way they intend all CPO cars to be in the future, which may explain the singular lack of traction you are experiencing in getting it fixed...

This may be the moment to start taking this legal if necessary to simply reject the car and rethink the whole thing...

NY Lemon Law: Used Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet | New York State Attorney General

Cars Covered by the Used Car Lemon Law Include any car that:
  • was purchased, leased or transferred after the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from original delivery; AND
  • was purchased or leased from a New York dealer; AND
  • had a purchase price or lease value of at least $1,500; AND
  • has been driven less than 100,000 miles at the time of purchase/lease; AND
  • is used primarily for personal purposes
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/bureaus/consumer_fraud/usedcar_lemon_bill_rights.pdf

If

They are not CPOs anymore, they are called used now, see screenshot
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 5.07.44 PM.png

Not surprised it turned out this filthy if it had been a service loaner. When my Ford was in they gave me a Jeep Enterprise rental believe it or not. Why not give me a new Ford from the actual dealership I asked, in the hopes I would buy it? Service manager told me they stopped that years ago because most people feel its their responsibility to trash it as much as humanly possible just because its free, returning it with empty tank and headliner full of cigarette burn holes. just like they take all the robes and shampoo bottles from hotel rooms.

Personally, I take great care of loaners, partly because it's right, but also for the reason if I turn it back better than I received it perhaps they give me a nicer car next time. Sure enough last time my S75 was in I got an MX P100D as a loaner.

If your Tesla sold as used, not CPO, they may have deliberately delivered it as is, i.e. filthy. But there is obviously a lack of communication and not setting expectations right if this was the case.

Last edited:
I DID go nuclear. On pretty everybody. Guy who sold it doesn’t answer answer my calls or emails any more after seeing the pictures. SC gives me the famous “I’ll call you back”
And when they eventually do they are rude and tell me it’s too expensive to send a truck with loaner.
Cali have nothing to say other than “we are putting it in our escalations system”.

After 5 weeks (and counting) this post is my way of going nuclear.

Have you used the "Escalate" option in the My Tesla app or on your account at the Tesla website?

People that trash loaners are assholes.

I’ve literally washed a loaner before returning it because it was dirty from a road trip. I’m not saying it’s necessary to wash a loaner before returning it, but I am saying you need to respect property that is not yours.

And I wish Tesla would fine the living daylights out of people who return loaners all trashed because at the end of the day someone else will have to pay it. There is not a scrap of anything when we return a loaner and my children know to be extra careful when it is not daddy's own car as well.

Last edited:
They are not CPOs anymore, they are called used now, see screenshot
If your Tesla sold as used, not CPO, they may have deliberately delivered it as is, i

I can't find the tweet, but that change ("CPO" to "Used") happened about 9 to 12 months ago when Elon responded to a tweet that said basically "CPO is just another term for 'Used' ". The next day, the entire Tesla website was scrubbed of the word 'CPO' and changed to 'Used'. At the same time, 'Inventory' was changed to 'New' (for the most part).

But everyone mostly still calls them CPOs.

Last edited:
I can't find the tweet, but that change ("CPO" to "Used") happened about 6 to 9 months ago when Elon responded to a tweet that said basically "CPO is just another term for 'Used' ". The next day, the entire Tesla website was scrubbed of the word 'CPO' and changed to 'Used'. At the same time, 'Inventory' was changed to 'New' (for the most part).

But everyone mostly still calls them CPOs.

I think this is because most people who buy $70K used cars from the manufacturer are used to cars in immaculate condition with very few if any blemishes. And this expectation I think is as it should be given the price of these cars...

This new policy would technically exempt the condition of the car that was posted about recently. Can you imagine buying that car, taking it home, and showing it to your family without being utterly embarrassed? It just wreaks of disrespect to sell these cars without having any reasonable standards for refurbishment.

People that trash loaners are assholes.

I’ve literally washed a loaner before returning it because it was dirty from a road trip. I’m not saying it’s necessary to wash a loaner before returning it, but I am saying you need to respect property that is not yours.

Same here. I had a MX loaner with ultra white seats and I alcohol cleaned the blue off them from peoples pants. Most dealerships don’t give loaners so try to return a favor.

Reactions: Futuresystem
UPDATE:

My silent but constant complaining got me nowhere for 5 weeks.
I put the post up yesterday night, and by this afternoon the loaner was here. Im glad I put the post op to get some attention, but its sad that it has had to come to this.
Unfortunately I could not pick it up because it was not a dual motor Tesla. I live in an area where it snows every other day and a single motor is just not safe. I made it very clear to the people at the SC. I called the regional manager who has contacted my today and filled him in before I sent the truck on its way back. He advised me to send the car back and they will send another.
In the meantime, now my model S as of this morning, does not allow to engage cruise control or auto steer. A message comes up that the driver assistance features are disabled. Wonderful.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Cardiac
Same here. I had a MX loaner with ultra white seats and I alcohol cleaned the blue off them from peoples pants. Most dealerships don’t give loaners so try to return a favor.
This is pretty ridiculous unless 2 things happen for Tesla;
1) The price has a mega adjustment for the cosmetic appearance that is acceptable to some and they move units
2) The used program becomes so bad that they basically force consumers to buy New inventory

• Informative
Reactions: neroden