Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, it almost sounds like they're like Used Car salesmen or something!

What they are doing is honestly far worse.

Even the slimiest used car salesman will have the decency to show photos of the car they are selling and, especially for high end cars, refurbish the cars to look almost like new.

Most importantly they will not use their inventory as loaner rentals for random people to beat up the cars expecting the person who then buys the car to pay for all the damage caused. o_O

This thread has degenerated into a few people making up horror scenarios in their heads. Tesla has never done any of the things you are imagining. They aren't going to start now.

The OP described a real problem, which I hope is being dealt with now. Other than that, please stop making stuff up.

Making stuff up? Read the new policy. It makes it explicitly okay to deliver a CPO car in the shape and condition described by the OP. They are now only committing to delivering a car that "mechanically" works.

You are entitled to think this new policy is acceptable to you but many people apparently feel that it is wrong, unreasonable, and a poor way to treat their customers.

Hopefully they will revise this policy to be more reasonable.

Making stuff up? Read the new policy. It makes it explicitly okay to deliver a CPO car in the shape and condition described by the OP. They are now only committing to delivering a car that "mechanically" works.

You are entitled to think this new policy is acceptable to you but many people apparently feel that it is wrong, unreasonable, and a poor way to treat their customers.

Exactly.

A policy is not the same as mistreating customers. You can read it however you like, but it's all speculation. Until you come here with evidence that Tesla is mistreating customers per their policy, it's all just fear-mongering.

I have yet to encounter the slightest evidence or example of Tesla deliberately doing anything other than delight their customers. Mistakes, sure, but you are positing conspiracy. It's just nonsense.

And let's be really clear about this -- only a complete idiot would buy a car with auto-pilot from a company he doesn't trust. If you don't trust Tesla, don't buy their cars.

A policy is not the same as mistreating customers. You can read it however you like, but it's all speculation. Until you come here with evidence that Tesla is mistreating customers per their policy, it's all just fear-mongering.

I consider this new Tesla policy to be mistreating (or at the least not treating them well:rolleyes:) customers for the following reasons.
  • They list cars that may have damage caused as service loaners.
  • They do not publish photos of the cars being sold so you have no idea about the scope or severity of the damage. They don't disclose what aspects of the car need refurbishing.
  • The used car inventory seems to be exorbitantly priced but for that exorbitant price customers no longer get the peace of mind in knowing that they will get a gently used car in like new condition or at the least have any issues fixed.
  • Add insult to injury, it is after you pay the deposit, and go to pick up the car that you find out the true state of the car including any damage. At that point they will give you a bill to fix that damage that just about every single car manufacturer on earth would have refurbished and included in the cost of the price.
We can agree to disagree the above reasons constitutes treating customers well or not. I feel this new policy is also disrespectful and insulting as well to present cars at these prices that are not properly refurbished. So you are supposed to take that $75K used car home and tell your family the interior is messed up and there are scratches, curbed wheels and other issues because that would have cost extra?

Go to an Audi or Porsche dealer and look a their CPO inventory to see how customers should be treated and the condition in which the cars are offered.

To me it's painfully obvious that Tesla doesn't care about their CPO program. If they did care they would put time, and effort into making it easy to find a car you want. Or to be alerted when one becomes available.

Is it easy right now?

Here is this link.

Inventory Search | Tesla

What does it show? I see it showing 4 cars that are far away from me. Now that would be fine if that's all there was, but that's probably not the case. I've heard of people using a different search engine to find them.

In any case:
Are there pictures of the cars? Nope
Any information on the cars like the Carfax, etc? Nope.

For myself it's a non-starter even if I was going to consider a CPO.

People that trash loaners are assholes.

I’ve literally washed a loaner before returning it because it was dirty from a road trip. I’m not saying it’s necessary to wash a loaner before returning it, but I am saying you need to respect property that is not yours.

One time the loaner I got was so dirty that I actually felt bad for it. The first thing I did after I got home was washing it. It turns out the pearl paint was still in very good condition and I enjoyed it for 2 days. My girlfriend/neighbor/brother probably thought I was weird.

So the headliner trim piece along the door sill is also an issue with my CPO.
I had my fair share of issues and had to take the car back for several things. They had to give me a brand new seat because the one that came with the car had deep scratches in the leather seat that looked like it was from keys that hang from a belt loop. I couldn't believe they delivered the car in that shape.

So the headliner trim piece along the door sill is also an issue with my CPO.
I had my fair share of issues and had to take the car back for several things. They had to give me a brand new seat because the one that came with the car had deep scratches in the leather seat that looked like it was from keys that hang from a belt loop. I couldn't believe they delivered the car in that shape.

Did they claim that your car was refurbished?

I seriously wonder if there ever really was a refurbish process.

I have yet to encounter the slightest evidence or example of Tesla deliberately doing anything other than delight their customers. Mistakes, sure, but you are positing conspiracy. It's just nonsense.

There have been many reports of poorly prepared 'used' cars bought direct from Tesla, and then, eventually Tesla have made it right.

Tesla could have responded to the problem of poorly prepared cars by improving the preparation process, but instead they have declared that they are not going to do anything other than mechanical checks and a clean.

So future buyers of used cars from Tesla can have no expectation beyond mechanical function.

Why on earth would anyone buy, unseen, a car with no assurances over the condition of bodywork, interior etc. beyond it being 'clean'?

This is not a promise to 'delight' this is without doubt the worst 'Pre-owned' scheme from any car manufacturer out there and certainly not worthy of the price Tesla are charging.

There have been many reports of poorly prepared 'used' cars bought direct from Tesla, and then, eventually Tesla have made it right.

Tesla could have responded to the problem of poorly prepared cars by improving the preparation process, but instead they have declared that they are not going to do anything other than mechanical checks and a clean.

So future buyers of used cars from Tesla can have no expectation beyond mechanical function.

Why on earth would anyone buy, unseen, a car with no assurances over the condition of bodywork, interior etc. beyond it being 'clean'?

This is not a promise to 'delight' this is without doubt the worst 'Pre-owned' scheme from any car manufacturer out there and certainly not worthy of the price Tesla are charging.

no need to worry, consumers are smart. As long as the information is out there, the buyers will vote with their wallet. Tesla will either have to lower the used car price or face with growing inventory.

Reactions: Guy V and bhzmark
Is there snow build up on the front bumper (specifically where radar and ultrasonic sensors are)?

No snow build up, on further inspection and checking with photos of other front bumpers and sensors, it appears that my car's sensor is detached from its usual place on the bumper and is now set inside the space or cavity cavity behind the bumper.

Makes sense how the cruise control and autopilot would cut off on its own. I think yesterday morning it just moved into a spot where it would not function at all, and prior to that it was positioned to where it would work but would give errors all the time.

Another loaner is supposed to be coming today.

I'll be honest, since posting here everything has been moving very smoothly and fast. Im gonna stick to my demand of not taking this car back. Im open to getting a different CPO AFTER INSPECTION, or getting my money back. I'm also requesting to never deal with this service center again. The guys there, especially the service manager (George), are an embarrassment to any company and an unnecessary frustration that I just don't want to deal with again.
Theres another one thats only around 50 miles further.

Wow, it almost sounds like they're like Used Car salesmen or something!

A used car salesman is a used car salesman. You know what you're dealing with. You will inspect the car and have your guard up. Dealt with them all my life and yes have been frustrated but never felt cheated by them. Not at this level anyway.

With Tesla CPO, you are banking on the companys reputation and their high standards. Would what happened here ever happen with a BMW used car salesman? NEVER.

Having said that it seems like they are now trying hard to make it right for me, and I appreciate that.

A very sad lesson taught here: Public (or semi-public) shaming works. they didn't care when it was just me complaining, but put in online and they will move. Fast.

To me it's painfully obvious that Tesla doesn't care about their CPO program. If they did care they would put time, and effort into making it easy to find a car you want. Or to be alerted when one becomes available.

Is it easy right now?

Here is this link.

Inventory Search | Tesla

What does it show? I see it showing 4 cars that are far away from me. Now that would be fine if that's all there was, but that's probably not the case. I've heard of people using a different search engine to find them.

In any case:
Are there pictures of the cars? Nope
Any information on the cars like the Carfax, etc? Nope.

For myself it's a non-starter even if I was going to consider a CPO.

Also, they don't provide service/repair history, so you don't know what work has been done on the car.

I think Tesla simply ran out of space and man power to keep refurbishing their car like before. Hitting the Model 3 production goal is the most important thing to them right now. They probably will contract out the refurbishment to 3rd party on buyer's dime.
I agree, they only care about new sales numbers, as the company's only goal is to publish better sales numbers keep the stock stable.