Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toothslayer.....when you ordered the car was it listed as "Not Refurbished"?

I checked my email correspondences with the sales gentleman.
This is a copy from my email (took out my name and put XXXX):

Hi XXXXX,

I just received confirmation that the White Model S 85D (P70380) completed the refurbishment today. It has a current estimated delivery timeline of 14 days. In this email I have also included a few pictures from when it entered our inventory and it looks great!

A blatant lie!! "completed the refurbishment" my ass.
Also, looking back at the photos he sent, I noticed that they took out the integrated center console -- and in the process probably gouged the plastic. Totally unacceptable.

Attachments

• P70380 Interior.jpg
    P70380 Interior.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 370
I checked my email correspondences with the sales gentleman.
This is a copy from my email (took out my name and put XXXX):

Hi XXXXX,

I just received confirmation that the White Model S 85D (P70380) completed the refurbishment today. It has a current estimated delivery timeline of 14 days. In this email I have also included a few pictures from when it entered our inventory and it looks great!

A blatant lie!! "completed the refurbishment" my ass.
Also, looking back at the photos he sent, I noticed that they took out the integrated center console -- and in the process probably gouged the plastic. Totally unacceptable.

You mean they actually removed the center console prior to delivery to you?
Could it be an add-on item by the previous owner?

In our case, and also as I had become to find out later, they did remove the tint on the window.
I can understand this since it's not a Tesla built item so I had no problem with that.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Tesla CPO program = FAIL

That other thread is right. They really have created the worst used car buying experience with this new policy.

Can you imagine a car dealer telling you, yes we have this used car, sorry we don't have any photos but our customers drive this car as a loaner so they may damage it, but we wont refurbish any of that damage but are happy to give you a bill for all that damage when you put down a deposit and agree to buy the car o_O

That other thread is right. They really have created the worst used car buying experience with this new policy.

Can you imagine a car dealer telling you, yes we have this used car, sorry we don't have any photos but our customers drive this car as a loaner so they may damage it, but we wont refurbish any of that damage but are happy to give you a bill for all that damage when you put down a deposit and agree to buy the car o_O

Deposit is Non-Refundable. :)

And then all your problems started.

You spent $70k blind on a car based on the word of a salesperson.
There is _nothing_ _special_ about Tesla salespeople.

But, but, Tesla has no "salespersons", right? They're called "advisors" or something like that, and they all work in "stores" and don't behave like the evil "dealerships", Lol.

I talked to service about this example. They said they would take care of the headliner and other major issues, noting it isn't good for customer satisfaction to let it go given how bad and unexpected the issues are (they may be busier than normal dealing with unsatisfied used customers in the future). They also explained how this could happen. The car likely was sitting on a lot somewhere directly after trade in. The car then was bought and delivered directly to the customer. Due to direct delivery, it is likely the car never went through a service center or delivery center and thus was never cleaned or repaired in any way.

Anyways, the CPO/used program is horribly broken now.

I realize this may not help OP at this point, but it's worth noting for other readers who are CA residents:

In the state of CA, a car sale is not completed until the documents are signed AND the car is driven on a public roadway by the purchaser with the temporary registration (that little windshield sticker) properly affixed. It does not matter where you are in the purchase process, whether you've paid or signed the paperwork, if you do not drive the car "off the lot" the transaction has not happened.

CA also has pretty clear rules that you can't have a non-refundable vehicle deposit, though not sure what people's experiences have been with Tesla on this front.

In any event, in CA if you are concerned about the condition of a vehicle, especially a CPO, if you raise them before driving the vehicle on a public road you should be able to unwind the transaction.

I realize this may not help OP at this point, but it's worth noting for other readers who are CA residents:

In the state of CA, a car sale is not completed until the documents are signed AND the car is driven on a public roadway by the purchaser with the temporary registration (that little windshield sticker) properly affixed. It does not matter where you are in the purchase process, whether you've paid or signed the paperwork, if you do not drive the car "off the lot" the transaction has not happened.

CA also has pretty clear rules that you can't have a non-refundable vehicle deposit, though not sure what people's experiences have been with Tesla on this front.

In any event, in CA if you are concerned about the condition of a vehicle, especially a CPO, if you raise them before driving the vehicle on a public road you should be able to unwind the transaction.

I just think it is ridiculous that a Tesla customer would have to depend on a consumer protection law to save them due to a bad policy change from Tesla. This is a law that a consumer dealing with a car dealer would never even have to invoke in such a situation because when you buy a CPO car from any car dealer, the car is refurbished, you get to see photos and inspect the car in advance.

For all the talk by Tesla about how car dealers are so awful, how can then do business in a worse manner than a car dealer?

Reactions: kavyboy and Dp7-81
The current process is almost the perfect example of 'Bait & Switch'...

I can't see this change surviving long term.

Yeah it is total bait and switch if you sell a used car showing stock photos and then try to bill the customer for refurbishing the car to meet the industry standard for a what premium used car should be like. Collecting a deposit without disclosing the actual condition of the car is just as bad. Just shows complete lack of respect or consideration for customers.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I thought the bankruptcy rumours were short sellers fake news but this new CPO policy smacks of a company in financial trouble.

Nah, it's a company that knows all the 3 year leases are going to start running out soon and that they don't have the personnel available to do the old style refurbushment process. So the prices will be what the market will bear, and the process will change based on people's risk/reward curve. Some will only pursue cars they have seen, others will take a chance on a remote car.