Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main issue was that Tesla had to vendor out a lot of the repair work (dents, rims etc...) and it was costing them too much. When and if they can do the repairs themselves they will start refurbishing cars again.

I am fine with this as long as it reflects a lower price, but at this point it is not. CPO, or used cars, whatever you want to call them are still overpriced.

Reactions: Guy V and bhzmark
I dont understand why no one contacts Elon when this happens? Peons out in the wild cannot fix those problems, or will not, unless ordered to by Fremont management. Period, end of story. Someone has to pay, your local SC will not eat that cost. Fremont has to pay the local SC to fix car. Period. Im not being msan, Im stating a fact. My neigbor is a GM of big dealership. He says he makes factory pay for anything wrong when car is delivered.

Now that i think of it, what is to keep Tesla from selling the Autopilot a second time in a CPO car? A buyer would have no way to know that a previous owner had paid to activate the system. So Tesla could very well just sell the activation a second time -- would add greatly to their profits on a car with AP hardware. (Not suggesting that they do this, but responding to the title of the thread....)

Wow, sorry to hear about your experience. We also bought a CPO M5, but the car (in the Seattle showroom) was impeccably clean and in great shape with 30k miles. I've been driving the wheels off it since December (40 miles each way to work) and no problems. Hope your issues get resolved. Sounds like Tesls needs to have a Come-To-Jesus talk with your local store.

Reactions: Guy V
I previously had no idea CPO cars were used as loaners until they sold. I guess this explains the CPO paperwork in the glovebox of the P85D loaner I had last week when my car was in for a new MCU. The paint felt like fine sand paper and was in such bad condition I figured they couldn’t sell it in such condition preowned so they turned it into a loaner. I can’t imagine how the person who ultimately buys that car is going to feel when they take delivery and see the paint. I wonder what CPO car I’ll get this Monday when I take my car back for a drive unit replacement. Do these trips to the SC ever get less frequent....? I’d never consider a Tesla if I didn’t live very near a couple.

Now that i think of it, what is to keep Tesla from selling the Autopilot a second time in a CPO car? A buyer would have no way to know that a previous owner had paid to activate the system. So Tesla could very well just sell the activation a second time -- would add greatly to their profits on a car with AP hardware. (Not suggesting that they do this, but responding to the title of the thread....)

A CPO with EAP/FSD is worth more than one without. The trade in price is based on options including EAP/FSD. So Tesla can add the SW to unequipped vehicle to raise the price, or they can decontent to lower it, but they can't make someone pay as much for an identical car without it as with it.

Reactions: Guy V
Totally agree with you

Here how I look at it:
If I had received the car the way it is, tell them next day and send photos just like I did, and they say oops we forgot to detail it - no worries we will get it done for you.
Problem solved. I get it that mistakes do happen and I’ll generally give people a chance to make it right.
Instead they goofed around for a few weeks. Screening my calls and not calling back.
What really got me is that jerk of a manager telling me it’s too expensive sending a truck to pick the damn car up.

I’m not the type to post negative things either but I really feel like I should share the story. Hopefully this will help people make better choices.
too expensive to send a truck to pick the car up but not too expensive to ask 70 grand for it...

UPDATE:

I am happy to report that Tesla agreed to take the car back and give me a full refund.
They sent a loaner and took my car.
They gave me the option of CPO’ing my car for real and giving it back, with a promise that I’ll love it this time.
I’m opting for the refund.

The damage:
-I installed a wall socket in my garage just for it. Maybe it will find use one day. Maybe I’ll put another dryer there. Maybe it will just serve as a reminder to be less trusting.
- 5 weeks of aggravation.
- having to write the first post in this thread. I’m not exactly happy about doing this. But I felt I exhausted all other options.
- last and perhaps most upsetting, is that I now have a loaner and it is an awesome car, and driving it this morning solidified my decision to opt for the refund. The one I had just wasn’t a normal MS. It drove different, felt different and definitely looked very different. The damage is that I just can’t get myself to get another one, or even think about it. And it really is an awesome car. Maybe this will change with time.

I also requested that if I get another Tesla I wouldn’t ever deal with the SC i dealt with and they even agreed to that.

So all in all, despite the horrible experience, in my book they did the best thing they can do in a very unfortunate situation. Hopefully more of that coming from the company in the future. Much appreciated.

And to anyone that said that the fault is mine - i wholeheartedly agree. I should have inspected it properly on delivery. This in no way absolves them from trying to unload a crappy car on me. Nor does it excuse the way I was treated afterwards. Tesla needs some time to reflect and do some soul searching, and maybe a little housekeeping.

They pick up the loaner tomorrow.

I may ask them to come pick it up from the BMW dealership while I’m getting my new ride just for laughs. JK

For real though, probably going for the X5 e (one of them)

Enjoy your Tesla’s everyone!!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I am happy to report that Tesla agreed to take the car back and give me a full refund.
They gave me the option of CPO’ing my car for real and giving it back, with a promise that I’ll love it this time.

The damage:
-I installed a wall socket in my garage just for it. Maybe it will find use one day. Maybe I’ll put another dryer there. Maybe it will just serve as a reminder to be less trusting.
- having to write the first post in this thread. I’m not exactly happy about doing this. But I felt I exhausted all other options.
- last and perhaps most upsetting, is that I now have a loaner and it is an awesome car, and driving it this morning solidified my decision to opt for the refund. The one I had just wasn’t a normal MS. It drove different, felt different and definitely looked very different. The damage is that I just can’t get myself to get another one, or even think about it. And it really is an awesome car. Maybe this will change with time.

I also requested that if I get another Tesla I wouldn’t ever deal with the SC i dealt with and they even agreed to that.

So all in all, despite the horrible experience, in my book they did the best thing they can do in a very unfortunate situation. Hopefully more of that coming from the company in the future. Much appreciated.

And to anyone that said that the fault is mine - i wholeheartedly agree. I should have inspected it properly on delivery.

I may ask them to come pick it up from the BMW dealership while I’m getting my new ride just for laughs. JK

Cheers
I'm glad this was resolved to your satisfaction ... and wait a little til you pull the trigger on that X5e. You have their ear now, you shouldn't have any future problems, and honestly, there is nothing like driving a Tesla. That's all I've driven for 7 years and zero regrets. :)

UPDATE:

The damage:

And to anyone that said that the fault is mine - i wholeheartedly agree. I should have inspected it properly on delivery.

Cheers

Glad that headache is behind you. Be careful picking a car on the rebound.

What does it matter? It will be priced higher with Autopilot, lower without it.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865