Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those used to be the benefits for Tesla's CPO program. Unfortunately your first set of points are no longer valid under the new "Not Refurbished" "CPO" policy that went into effect this week, as they would either sell it "as-is" cosmetically or just dump it to auction. The 3G->LTE upgrade would cost $500 (if not covered by a warranty fix), and the warranty fixes would still be the same as a second owner if the car had less than 4 years and 50k miles, otherwise there would be a $200 deductible per visit between 4-8 years or 50-100k miles.
I was not aware this had changed, I know they now have different grades of CPO but was not aware of the drastic changes to the program

So I wonder how you would feel if you picked up the same car and Tesla did not do any of the following because that's what will happen from now on where they only make sure the car functions mechanically. Worse yet, the car could have even more significant issues but none of those issues are disclosed on the car listing and for black interiors and lighting you may not know the true state of the car until you see it in proper lighting conditions.

None of the following is no longer being done...
  1. Replaced front windshield due to chip rather than repairing the chip
  2. Re-painted hood and nose to eliminate paint chips
  3. Replaced driver's seat due to slight rocking
  4. Replaced driver's and passengers windows due to slight scratching
  5. Upgraded from 3G to LTE to correct issue with GPS
But the point is they did all this and continue to do this for me. Also the deposit was refundable and I could have refused delivery if I did not like the car

A private party preowned car would be easier to inspect cosmetically too, since you can take a look at the car (assuming doing a local transaction) in person as opposed to putting a non-refundable deposit down and waiting weeks to get to even take a look at the car.
Deposit are refundable and you do not have to accept delivery of the car if there are significant issues, that is actually the law not Tesla policy.

It's unfortunate that service varies so much from SC to SC. I had a perfect CPO experience with the service centers involved.

For what it's worth, I bought a 2014 S 85 CPO last fall. The car was refurbished at the Mt Kisco, NY service center and then shipped to the Dedham, MA service center. The NY service center did an amazing job and made the car feel brand new. Multiple panels were completely repainted and clear coated. Others were buffed. Dedham did the final detail before loading it into the delivery truck.

I have only good things to say about the Dedham MA service center. Been there twice for service (once for S, once for 3) and they go above and beyond to make sure you're satisfied.

So if you live around these service centers, I'm confident you'll have a satisfactory experience with Tesla.

Wow. I've had my S85 for over 4 years now, its my every day driver and I work it like a rented mule... and with 76,000 miles on it, my car is cleaner than that! That's a huge disappointment in the service (but as some others have posted, outstanding service is has been the norm for me).

Reactions: dhrivnak
If the condition of the CPO car is less than acceptable then just walk away. Don't let them screw you because they couldn't be bothered to clean it, let along fix all the defects.

I think a 4 year/50k warranty is not enough for a Tesla, especially a pre-owned one. The failure rate is too high and the cost of replacing that stuff out of warranty is too much. But then again in Europe it would still be free even out of warranty, because our consumer laws usually protect you against manufacturing/design defects for the life of the car.

But the point is they did all this and continue to do this for me. Also the deposit was refundable and I could have refused delivery if I did not like the car

It is because you bought your car before they made changes to the CPO policy where they are now selling cars unrefurbished. I checked again and they do not do refurbish cars. If there is anything wrong beyond the car working mechanically, they suggest that you take the car to a body shop for repair.

And I kid you not. On their CPO listings they actually have a link referring you to a body shop for any damage to the car that you need fixed.

Deposit being refundable is all well but how is this any way to buy a car and start the search all over again. Wish they either listed CPO cars that were refurbished or at least told you how much it would cost to have the cars refurbished. At least a list of damage to the car would be useful but all they show are stock photos...

Reactions: 1 person
Every car I ever traded in was in way better condition than that CPO car. It really doesn't take much to identify and correct the issues in your photos. Looks like someone at Tesla was being lazy with their job.

I think they need to figure out a another solution than have their CPO inventory beaten to death as service loaners. It seems some people who receive loaners really abuse their cars and I wish Tesla would withhold the best condition trade in vehicles for sale as refurbished CPO vehicles rather than have them be beat up as loaners.

Selling a used car without disclosing the flaws and then suggesting you take it to a body shop for repair at an undisclosed sum of money is a a terribly way to buy a used car and not even car dealers would suggest such a scenario.

It is because you bought your car before they made changes to the CPO policy where they are now selling cars unrefurbished. I checked again and they do not do refurbish cars. If there is anything wrong beyond the car working mechanically, they suggest that you take the car to a body shop for repair.

And I kid you not. On their CPO listings they actually have a link referring you to a body shop for any damage to the car that you need fixed.

Deposit being refundable is all well but how is this any way to buy a car and start the search all over again. Wish they either listed CPO cars that were refurbished or at least told you how much it would cost to have the cars refurbished. At least a list of damage to the car would be useful but all they show are stock photos...
Right, not refurbished. But the new policy still says 'cleaned'. Someone clearly dropped the ball with the OP's car. It didn't meet the old or the new CPO program. And it sounds like Tesla agreed, since they tried to make it right. Not an excuse, I just didn't want people to think that the condition of the OP's car at delivery was what they should expect. If it's not clean, don't take delivery until they finish that work.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.44.33 AM.png

Right, not refurbished. But the new policy still says 'cleaned'. Someone clearly dropped the ball with the OP's car. It didn't meet the old or the new CPO program. And it sounds like Tesla agreed, since they tried to make it right. Not an excuse, I just didn't want people to think that the condition of the OP's car at delivery was what they should expect. If it's not clean, don't take delivery until they finish that work.

The problem is there is a huge gap between "clean" and how just about every car dealer sells $70,000 used cars that are in impeccable like new condition.

The problem is they've made the process worse with the recent policy where they can just wipe down and wash a car with various issues and damage that they don't even disclose in the car listing. Just makes for an awful buying experience when they sell used cars at the current prices without refurbishing the cars.

One thing I think the OP helped us all to understand through his experience is that Tesla vehicles, used and new, require a more thorough examination prior to taking delivery. My last four cars have been BMW, Mercedes (new and CPO) and Audi - it was a foregone conclusion that the cars would be perfect at delivery, and they were. Maybe some Tesla's are perfect, but I think a higher degree of scrutiny is called for prior to accepting delivery.

In Seattle they have someone who works with you to find the right CPO and acts as your advocate. Does sound like the program has changed based on the feedback on this thread. THat said my local Tesla service center has been amazing.

One thing I think the OP helped us all to understand through his experience is that Tesla vehicles, used and new, require a more thorough examination prior to taking delivery. My last four cars have been BMW, Mercedes (new and CPO) and Audi - it was a foregone conclusion that the cars would be perfect at delivery, and they were. Maybe some Tesla's are perfect, but I think a higher degree of scrutiny is called for prior to accepting delivery.
AS the old saying goes. may the buyer beware.

UPDATE:

I am happy to report that Tesla agreed to take the car back and give me a full refund.
They sent a loaner and took my car.
They gave me the option of CPO’ing my car for real and giving it back, with a promise that I’ll love it this time.
I’m opting for the refund.

The damage:
-I installed a wall socket in my garage just for it. Maybe it will find use one day. Maybe I’ll put another dryer there. Maybe it will just serve as a reminder to be less trusting.
- 5 weeks of aggravation.
- having to write the first post in this thread. I’m not exactly happy about doing this. But I felt I exhausted all other options.
- last and perhaps most upsetting, is that I now have a loaner and it is an awesome car, and driving it this morning solidified my decision to opt for the refund. The one I had just wasn’t a normal MS. It drove different, felt different and definitely looked very different. The damage is that I just can’t get myself to get another one, or even think about it. And it really is an awesome car. Maybe this will change with time.

I also requested that if I get another Tesla I wouldn’t ever deal with the SC i dealt with and they even agreed to that.

So all in all, despite the horrible experience, in my book they did the best thing they can do in a very unfortunate situation. Hopefully more of that coming from the company in the future. Much appreciated.

And to anyone that said that the fault is mine - i wholeheartedly agree. I should have inspected it properly on delivery. This in no way absolves them from trying to unload a crappy car on me. Nor does it excuse the way I was treated afterwards. Tesla needs some time to reflect and do some soul searching, and maybe a little housekeeping.

They pick up the loaner tomorrow.

I may ask them to come pick it up from the BMW dealership while I’m getting my new ride just for laughs. JK

For real though, probably going for the X5 e (one of them)

Enjoy your Tesla’s everyone!!!!

Cheers

Big mistake on getting the X5. You will realize that in time. But hey, have fun! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Futuresystem
AS the old saying goes. may the buyer beware.

But this refrain should not apply when you buy a car from Tesla. Tesla should do better and the low bar to clear is what a car dealer would do and in this case car dealers sell cars in a much more transparent and reasonable way.

What I find really disappointing about this new CPO policy of neither refurbishing cars nor disclosing existing damage is that you have no idea what you are buying any more. I can;t believe next to used cars costing nearly $100,000 they have a link referring customers to a body shop for fixing undisclosed/unknown damage. :(