Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, new policy. Deposit on Monday 4/30 pickup tomorrow 5/02.
Wow! This will REALLY be a test of the new policy since it’s a three day turnaround!!! Perhaps part of the new policy is that they complete the minimal refurbishment before cars are listed for CPO. That way the process is smooth and fast?
Did you get pics and general feedback on the car from your OA?

Congrats on getting into the car you always/originally wanted! Care to elaborate on specifics of the car you purchased?

And possibly which BMWs models you looked at?

a white 2016 75D with 25K miles, aftermarket black turbine 19inch wheels from Evannex, tan leather seats and black alcantara headliner, pano sunroof, . Has an integrated Center console - which makes a huge difference in the interior IMO.
Previous owner took excellent care of the car. It came with the Tesla manual, and other small items the car originally came with.
The deal also included a wall connector which is sitting in a box in my garage -- i still have to decide if I want to install it or not.

I really wanted to get an electric or at least a plug in hybrid, and all wheel drive is a requirement for me. I looked at the BMW eDrive in the X5 and 5 series which comes as a 530e. Great cars but I eventually chose the MS

a white 2016 75D with 25K miles, aftermarket black turbine 19inch wheels from Evannex, tan leather seats and black alcantara headliner, pano sunroof, . Has an integrated Center console - which makes a huge difference in the interior IMO.
Previous owner took excellent care of the car. It came with the Tesla manual, and other small items the car originally came with.
The deal also included a wall connector which is sitting in a box in my garage -- i still have to decide if I want to install it or not.

I really wanted to get an electric or at least a plug in hybrid, and all wheel drive is a requirement for me. I looked at the BMW eDrive in the X5 and 5 series which comes as a 530e. Great cars but I eventually chose the MS
I know this car. It’s from ebay. It’s a pitty I did not grab it earlier at the buy it now price of 63k and the bidding ended much higher.

I passed on the car after inspection. The hood and passenger side fender need repainting. Front right wheel had serious curb damage (about 5 inches and deep). It looked like the had simply hosed it off and dried it with a rough cloth. The interior was however in great shape.

I passed on the car after inspection. The hood and passenger side fender need repainting. Front right wheel had serious curb damage (about 5 inches and deep). It looked like the had simply hosed it off and dried it with a rough cloth. The interior was however in great shape.
Well alrighty then. The “bar” is being set and some of the fears are coming to fruition. They are banking on another buyer who will accept things like this in order to get into a Tesla or are willing to take care of them on their own dime.
Sorry it didn’t work out. Will you try again?

I bought a CPO X 90D last July. It was a difficult process because I couldn't see the actual car. I flew across the country to pick it up. While there were a few issues I noticed upon inspection, the car was clean and detailed. All of the issues I identified were resolved and I've been treated extremely well with the car since then for any other issues that have come up.

It was a disappointing experience. They made little effort getting the car ready. You could see the car was covered in a fine layer if dust from quite a distance. I actually laughed when they pointed to the car in the delivery area when I mentioned the condition of the car. The DS said with a straight face that the new policy is that the don't do any prep on the "used" cars. I would agree with her. Minimal effort on Tesla's part. Also still no access to the service records. I am unlikely to try again with Tesla and this new program. I had high hopes to be writing a very different and positive write up.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
I just picked up a 2015 P85D.

Paid for it today, asked for photos of it after the used car advisor called me. She sent me photos and the front bumper was scratched to hell. All the wheels had curb rash. I immediately called her and told her I don’t want it based off photos and that there was another one for 3k more that I would like to transfer to. She sent me photos of it and it was MINT, based off photos and zooming in. Right away I had her swap the order. Picking it up in few days. And this was all today, deposit, finance app, approved, 8 hours

How can they sell a car in such poor condition? Did they tell you the car is in such bad shape before you saw it?

Well alrighty then. The “bar” is being set and some of the fears are coming to fruition. They are banking on another buyer who will accept things like this in order to get into a Tesla or are willing to take care of them on their own dime.
Sorry it didn’t work out. Will you try again?

I'm having a hard time imagining what Tesla buyer is looking to buy a Tesla that is in such poor shape. If they were selling cars in such poor shape for $30,000 - $40,000 I can understand but I don't know how many people they are going to find to buy cars at the current prices with entire body panels needing repainting.

The problem with taking care of these problems "in your own" is that it is going to end up costing a customer so much more. Tesla can get wholesale prices for repairs and refurbishment and they get parts at cost where a customer will have to pay retail for parts as well as body shop labor.

The fact that they are not even doing any bare minimum prep on some of these CPO cars now seems like a slap on the face of anyone looking to buy a Tesla CPO car o_O