Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware, even for Tesla CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More than likely Tesla has recently setup an automated interface to a salvage title information service, if the VIN comes across Supercharging is disabled automatically. There is no person reviewing each transaction to see if it seems reasonable. But for your example the flood damage wouldn't have had to happen after he got his clean title, it literally could have happened the day he drove the car off the lot. So yes, it is reasonably possible that that could have happened.

But the real issue is that besides Supercharging the OP needs DMV to fix the issue as his car has been greatly devalued, and that has nothing to do with Tesla. Once he gets DMV to fix the issue then he has to show Tesla that DMV made a mistake and undo their flagging of his VIN. (Hopefully DMV will give him a letter stating that they screwed up and have now rectified the issue.) This probably isn't a common occurrence so Tesla probably doesn't have a process for this yet. (Yeah, it appears they don't plan ahead for things like this.)

Exactly right. It doesn't matter whether "we" think it could happen. Thing is - the automated process flagged the car, and that's that. The DMV needs to un-brand the title before Tesla can or will move on this one.

I'm not excusing anything but if I'm Tesla customer service, my rules say:
Branded title = no Supercharging.

Customer has a branded title. So, they get no Supercharging. Show them an unbranded title, or even a letter from DMV stating that's an error, and yes - the onus is then on Tesla to fix it, immediately. Until then, this is the DMV's fault, plain and simple.

Exactly right. It doesn't matter whether "we" think it could happen. Thing is - the automated process flagged the car, and that's that. The DMV needs to un-brand the title before Tesla can or will move on this one.

I'm not excusing anything but if I'm Tesla customer service, my rules say:
Branded title = no Supercharging.

Customer has a branded title. So, they get no Supercharging. Show them an unbranded title, or even a letter from DMV stating that's an error, and yes - the onus is then on Tesla to fix it, immediately. Until then, this is the DMV's fault, plain and simple.

I think there is some onus on Tesla to inform the customer their supercharging will be disabled before they disable it. OP could have planned to drive to a J1772 instead of figuring it out on a low battery at the supercharger. An automated system turning critical things off with zero notice is pretty bad, honestly.

Reactions: Ocelot and Taoweiji
So there are so many Teslas being salvaged that the company has to automate the process??!!!
What? Did they notice that their office that dealt with salvage cars had started to grow so much they needed a new building?

Or is it more likely that they just don't give a damn what happens to their customers? Once you bought the car, they have the money, end of story.

I think there is some onus on Tesla to inform the customer their supercharging will be disabled before they disable it. OP could have planned to drive to a J1772 instead of figuring it out on a low battery at the supercharger. An automated system turning critical things off with zero notice is pretty bad, honestly.

I don’t disagree. An email or pop up notice - “Your vehicle has been marked with a salvage title, therefore we are disabling supercharging. Please contact us at 800-xxx-yyyy if you believe this is in error.” would be nice.

But the responsibility for the (potential) error and correcting said error lies with DMV. It’s entirely possible the last owner pulled a fast one on Tesla and tried to whitewash the title, too, and now DMV is catching up.

Something’s afoot here that’s not obvious - anything from a clerical error to a shady seller.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I am normally a huge proponent for Tesla. I was happy to recommend buying certified pre-owned, CPO, from them but am actually in quite a pickle that I have to say now "buyer beware." I bought a Model X certified pre-owned from Tesla (at Paramus NJ) without one issue on the Carfax report. It turns out that after I received a clear title from the DMV a month after the sale, there was an anomalous report of flood damage recorded to the DMV on the vehicle approximately 3 weeks after the issuance of my clean title, and I was not aware of it until recently.

Because of this report, supercharging was turned off. You can imagine my surprise learning this over a hundred miles from home. I was never sent a courtesy call, nor email, nor letter telling me they had this report on my VIN. No attempt was made by Tesla to their paying customer to rectify it. I would not have driven it that far had I known and would have taken another vehicle. They effectively kept me stranded and did not even turn on supercharging even temporarily for me to get home. I called roadside service twice out of desperation and the CSR had to tell me no exceptions because of policy--I could tell they said so reluctantly, but they know they stranded a family of five. They just turned it off without telling me, knowing full well I showed active use of the vehicle on my app and driving it nearly weekly since the day of sale. I was never in a flood or accident. I never went to a shop other than Tesla for anything more than minor repairs or tire change, and my insurance is up to date without any claims.

I wish I could tell you a happy ending to this. Currently I am actually sitting in a hotel, waiting on the trickle charge of 4 miles an hour, to get enough miles to get home. The hotel was nice enough to let me charge. I had a starting charge of 60 miles and need 140 miles to get home safely. You do the math to figure out how long we've been here.

I really am at a loss as to how to prevent this even after sale from Tesla, but aside from periodically screening Carfax, a brand on the title is a scarlet letter that will take serious effort to remedy. I know my experience is a really rare event among the thousands of vehicles they sell, but when it happens to a vehicle that you paid significant up front price to get, it can hit you hard if you cannot weather it. And it's an even harder hit when the company you trusted treats you now like a pariah.
Isn't there a level 2 charger in the area? If you have the adapter you could charge at one of them

But not until the car is sold and re-titled. The OP did not get a replacement salvage title in the mail last year when the change happened. Otherwise don’t you think he would have tried to get it resolved at that time?

Titles can be reissued if the vehicle is salvaged, even with the same owner. For example, when stolen and recovered.

But not until the car is sold and re-titled. The OP did not get a replacement salvage title in the mail last year when the change happened. Otherwise don’t you think he would have tried to get it resolved at that time?

I don't know how it works in his state, but in Oregon the insurance company submits the information to the DMV and they brand the title instantly and with no notification to anyone. Which sounds like what may have happened to the OP in this case, just that the insurance company, or DMV, screwed up the VIN. (Or someone pulled a fast one by cleaning up the car and trading it in to Tesla with a clean title before everything got processed.)

Reactions: dmurphy
Why can’t Tesla inspect the vehicle before or after sale to determine the vehicle is safe for supercharging and turn it back on? What’s the limitation here?

But that would require that Tesla actually cares about the customers AFTER they've paid for the car.
We've seen so many examples of horrible post-delivery service: no return phone calls, nobody answers the phone, nobody responds to texts, appts changed without informing customers,.....