TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Buyer Beware: Misleading descriptions in sale of used "Signature" Model S, P02618

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by TSLA Pilot, Feb 20, 2014.

1. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

#1 TSLA Pilot, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
    Beware prbl fraud w/sale: "Signature" Model S, P02618

(Mods--perhaps we need a sub-forum on probable fraudulent sales, especially as the cars migrate to second owners? This is the 3rd one I've seen like this!)

BUYER BEWARE: This used car dealer is attempted to pass off a base Model S, one with about one or two options if that (and NO Tech Pkg) as a "Signature/Performance Model S."

Normally I'd not bother posting this here, but I have contacted the selling dealer twice, beginning early Monday a.m.; they persist with their dishonest posting. As it's now four days later I hope no one on this forum is contemplating this misidentified Model S. Please feel free to cross-post elsewhere as desired:

2012 Tesla Model S Signature Dallas, Texas | Starwood Motors

Their original post contained even more errors, to include a supposed "Pano roof" which, oddly, was not indicated by the photographs which show a solid roof. Ditto for the CF spoiler. Sadly, they've updated their post, but it still contains errors.

Lastly, the VIN plate photo suggests the 21" wheels were added after production, and the CarFax seems a bit odd which makes one wonder what the full story is on this car:

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2012 TESLA MODEL S

Some of the details follow:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&listingId=137370379&aff=aol

2012 Tesla Model S Signature Performance - [COLOR=#333333 !important]$80,888

Dealer: Starwood Motors
    888-636-8986 icon-envelope.png Check Availability getagentstatusimage.aspx?ProviderId=297&MerchantId=197942&PlacementId=2.gif

Save 0Saved Cars Print Share

01.jpg
    Seller video — click to play

01.jpg
    01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg

View More Photos (32 total)

Live Chat

Have a question about this car?
    getagentstatusimage.aspx?ProviderId=297&MerchantId=197942&PlacementId=1.gif

Check Availability

Starwood Motors
    888-636-8986
    *Required
    Comments
    First name*

Last name*

Email*
    Phone*

ZIP*

I have a trade-in

Check Availability
    By clicking this button, you are agreeing to have a car dealer contact you for the purpose of responding to your car price quote request. You understand that the dealer's call may be using an autodialer, and that a portion of the call may be pre-recorded.

We value your privacy.
    Cars.com Privacy Statement

[/TD]

About This Model S

[TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="class: test"][/TR]
    Mileage:4,472
    Body Style:Sedan
    Exterior Color:Sand
    Interior Color:White
    Stock #:AP02618
    VIN:5YJSA1DN2CFP02618
    Fuel:Electric
    Engine:Electric
    Transmission:Automatic
    Drivetrain:RWD
    Doors:4
    Wheelbase:118"Vehicle History Report:View the Free CARFAX
    Vehicle History Report

Seller's Notes:
    Gordon Holt Direct: 888-636-8986 Email: [email protected] Certified Pre-Owned WOW! OUTSTANDING 2012 Tesla Model S 85 kwh battery San Simeon Silver Metallic over White Leather Interior AMAZING VEHICLE WITH ALL THE BEST OPTIONS! Options include: Premium interior lighting 21' Silver Wheels Grey Nappa Leather Smart Air Suspension Parcel Shelf Blind Spot Sensor Package Cold Weather Package Light Handle Parking Sensors Passive Sensors Rear Carbon Fiber Spoiler Security Package ADULT OWNED, NON-SMOKER , PERFECT CARFAX AND AUTOCHECK. As always, we welcome third party inspections. We offer fast and easy finance and lease programs. Yes, we do take trade-ins. We offer free airport pick up or worldwide shipping. We offer a full line of extended warranties to protect your investment. Please do not hesitate to contact Gordon Holt direct with any further questions or to make arrangements for purchase at...888-636-8986 or [email protected]Read Less

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sand interior - Not a Tesla Model S color, and definitely not Signature.
    White exterior - Only Signature for Model S.
    VIN P02618 - Not Signature.

Weird.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Mod Note: Thread title updated. As much as the warning post is appreciated, we should be careful not to make criminal accusations.

It would not be surprising to see other Model S on sale with odd descriptions until the various designations become more widely known. In this case, I'd give the benefit of the doubt that dealer is suffering from ignorance rather than deliberately trying to defraud.

4. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Normally, I'd agree.

But how does one ascribe other than criminal intent when they were told it's NOT a Signature, nor a Performance, Model S a full four days ago?

This is a $20k or $30k misrepresentation. They've been told about it at least twice now . . . and yet it persists. Given their ability to sell globally, I hope we'll publicize these apparent attempts at fraud widely and with vigor.

Thus, I'll politely disagree with your assessment, but enjoy the forum nonetheless.

5. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

They're local to me and I've looked at their inventory on the web a few times. This is not the first Tesla they have sold, so they really should know better. Unfortunately misleading ads are pretty much standard in the used car business. I looked at the listing for my trade-in, a Ford Boss 302 (not the same dealer) and the number of errors was sad. Their posting said it had xenon lights (not available on that car), a Borla aftermarket exhaust (nope), a factory upgraded stereo (not available on that model) and on and on.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

So this S has been repainted a non-factory color and the interior seat and accent panels changed to an off white? How unusual. Also the chrome trim below the headlights has been blacked out.

The ad still says "Signature". The seller has been informed multiple times that it is not a Signature S. The seller is misrepresenting the car, obviously in an attempt to attract buyers who will pay more for the car.

Caveat emptor...

7. landover

landover Member

This car is also on auto trader.

8. GDH

GDH Banned

And cars.com

9. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Saw this one, love the headlight mod!
    I believe I also saw a white one labeled as Signature, the vin however is P*****

10. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

#10 TSLA Pilot, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Yep, it's now FIVE days later and it's still on Cars.com with this header:

"Tesla Model S Signature Performance"

If this isn't a fraud attempt, then what is? I've contacted cars.com and let's see what, if anything, they'll do.

Here's the full post:

2012 Tesla Model S Signature Performance - [COLOR=#333333 !important]$80,888

Dealer: Starwood Motors
    888-636-8986 icon-envelope.png Check Availability getagentstatusimage.aspx?ProviderId=297&MerchantId=197942&PlacementId=2.gif

Save 0Saved Cars Print Share

[/COLOR]
    [/TR]

01.jpg
    Seller video — click to play

01.jpg
    01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg

View More Photos (32 total)

Live Chat

Have a question about this car?
    getagentstatusimage.aspx?ProviderId=297&MerchantId=197942&PlacementId=1.gif

Check Availability

Starwood Motors
    888-636-8986
    *Required
    Comments
    First name*

Last name*

Email*
    Phone*

ZIP*

I have a trade-in

Check Availability
    By clicking this button, you are agreeing to have a car dealer contact you for the purpose of responding to your car price quote request. You understand that the dealer's call may be using an autodialer, and that a portion of the call may be pre-recorded.

We value your privacy.
    Cars.com Privacy Statement

About This Model S

[TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"]
    Mileage:4,472
    Body Style:Sedan
    [TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="bgcolor: #EEF1F3"][/TR][TR="class: test"][/TR]
    Exterior Color:Sand
    Interior Color:White
    Stock #:AP02618
    VIN:5YJSA1DN2CFP02618
    Fuel:Electric
    Engine:Electric
    Transmission:Automatic
    Drivetrain:RWD
    Doors:4
    Wheelbase:118"Vehicle History Report:View the Free CARFAX
    Vehicle History Report
    Seller's Notes:Gordon Holt Direct: 888-636-8986 Email: [email protected] Certified Pre-Owned WOW! OUTSTANDING 2012 Tesla Model S 85 kwh battery San Simeon Silver Metallic over White Leather Interior AMAZING VEHICLE WITH ALL THE BEST OPTIONS! Options include: Premium interior lighting 21' Silver Wheels Grey Nappa Leather Smart Air Suspension Parcel Shelf Blind Spot Sensor Package Cold Weather Package Light Handle Parking Sensors Passive Sensors Rear Carbon Fiber Spoiler Security Package ADULT OWNED, NON-SMOKER , PERFECT CARFAX AND AUTOCHECK. As always, we welcome third party inspections. We offer fast and easy finance and lease programs. Yes, we do take trade-ins. We offer free airport pick up or worldwide shipping. We offer a full line of extended warranties to protect your investment. Please do not hesitate to contact Gordon Holt direct with any further questions or to make arrangements for purchase at...888-636-8986 or [email protected]Read Less

11. GDH

GDH Banned

Any smart Tesla buyer will catch the misinformation

12. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

What headlight mod? Am I missing something?

Perhaps you're just seeing the odd lighting effects from the photograph as the headlights look like the ones on our S85.

13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

The chrome around the headlight is blacked out.

14. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

VIN 2681 with the cold weather package?

I think not...

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The white interior was signature only... and it definitely has the white interior (contrast vs. the tan headliner in the photo, so not a light effect).

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#16 brianman, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    The headliner isn't tan. It's creme (either cloth or alcantara), in all flavors of Model S IIRC. I think you're being tricked by the lighting. The creme is a bit "tannish" compared to the gray, which is just further evidence that it's gray interior not white.

VIN tells us: North American market, twin chargers, supercharging enabled, non-performance, 2012, non-Signature.

Some notes regarding the starwoodmotors images:
    1. Wrong exterior paint color for Signature.
    2. The rear chrome bar doesn't have the Signature etching.
    3. Has blacked out rear diffuser, which means no Tech Package unless it was painted/wrapped aftermarket.
    4. Gray interior.
    5. This doesn't have the white interior's white seatbelts.
    6. Not a performance vehicle, as there's no piping on the seats. (Early vehicles had piping included in the Performance package.)
    7. LED lights button is missing from the Controls page. Further evidence of non-Signature and, I think, no Tech Package.
    8. The 45 psi and reference to 19" wheels on the sticker suggests that the car was delivered with 19" wheels not 21".
    9. The fog lights / cornering lights assembly is non-Signature. (The bottom light is blacked out rather than a bulb.)
    10. Production nosecone, not Signature.
    11. Has the early/Signature chrome pieces in the frunk and trunk. This is consistent with the VIN number.
    12. It has the premium lighting that was later made into an option. This is consistent with a 2012 and early-ish 2013 VIN.
    13. Non-metallic rake pedal, which is generally inconsistent with Performance and Signature vehicles.

The advertised "2012 Tesla Model S Signature" is incorrect.

17. rsanchez

rsanchez Member

Here's the moroney for this car. I owned the car for about a 40 day period, it drove fine, charged fine, but as you can imagine, it's really lacking - no air suspension, no tech package, no pano roof, funky interior color, etc. It is absolutely not a Signature car.

Attached Files:

18. Brittt1

Brittt1 Member

Your moroney shows air suspension on the pdf?

but clearly not a signature

19. rsanchez

rsanchez Member

You're right, my bad. Here's what was funky, car has air suspension but no tech package.

20. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

Well done, and a far more thorough listing than my preliminary report.

We can only hope that any prospects looking at this car will do their research before they send a check . . . .