Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer Remorse...Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As some of you know, I've put down $2500 deposit on a inventory 2017 75D - blank, glass roof, extended tan nappa with carbon decor, premium pkg and sub zero, enhanced autopilot (I'm still 50/50 about it) a week ago today. I've been looking and there hasn't been another one from existing inventory remotely closed to the price (a hair under $82000 after fees before tax) I will pay when it arrives.

HOWEVER, judging by the vin, it is probably not eligible for the uncorking. While it does nothing for me other than being a kid again in those handful of seconds...and then immediately regretting being so childish as the range just gone down. It does play a role if and when I sell the car. I just priced a custom order and it comes within $3000 - black, glass roof, cream (the tan leather doesn't exist anymore), carbon décor, premium pkg which includes the subzero, enhanced auto. In addition, it would have air suspension and a faster 0-60 time. To me, it seems buying a brand new one is worth the $3000 upcharge + $2500 deposit lost.

Thoughts?

Reactions: jbcarioca and IdaX
Are you sure you would lose your deposit? Have you asked your OA if they would transfer it to a new build?

Can you get confirmation about the uncorking? It's likely not eligible as it was probably built too early for uncorking, but it's worth asking.

What are you going to be happiest with? You don't ever want to be unhappy with an $80K+ purchase. If you are going to regret the purchase, you are likely better off canceling and re-ordering. But what would be really nice would be to transfer the deposit and then re-order. I'd push for that until you are clear it's not happening.

Whatever you do, you want to be EnjoyingLife! :D

Are you sure you would lose your deposit? Have you asked your OA if they would transfer it to a new build?

Can you get confirmation about the uncorking? It's likely not eligible as it was probably built too early for uncorking, but it's worth asking.

What are you going to be happiest with? You don't ever want to be unhappy with an $80K+ purchase. If you are going to regret the purchase, you are likely better off canceling and re-ordering. But what would be really nice would be to transfer the deposit and then re-order. I'd push for that until you are clear it's not happening.

Whatever you do, you want to be EnjoyingLife! :D
Thanks John! I haven't asked them but the OA I've been working with, it seems the default respond is usually a no or saying something else without saying no.

I'm guessing they'll let you switch it to a new car if you ask nicely :)

Agreed. I would certainly ask ASAP. And if your OA says no, I would escalate- again, ASAP. Because you would be moving to a more expensive build, I've got to think you will find someone to say yes. Especially if you get the process started before they move the inventory car (assuming it is coming from somewhere else).

Agreed. I would certainly ask ASAP. And if your OA says no, I would escalate- again, ASAP. Because you would be moving to a more expensive build, I've got to think you will find someone to say yes. Especially if you get the process started before they move the inventory car (assuming it is coming from somewhere else).
It's sitting at Chicago and will take weeks to get here. I was initially told 2 weeks but now sounds more like 3 weeks from the last phone conversation.

As some of you know, I've put down $2500 deposit on a inventory 2017 75D - blank, glass roof, extended tan nappa with carbon decor, premium pkg and sub zero, enhanced autopilot (I'm still 50/50 about it) a week ago today. I've been looking and there hasn't been another one from existing inventory remotely closed to the price (a hair under $82000 after fees before tax) I will pay when it arrives.

HOWEVER, judging by the vin, it is probably not eligible for the uncorking. While it does nothing for me other than being a kid again in those handful of seconds...and then immediately regretting being so childish as the range just gone down. It does play a role if and when I sell the car. I just priced a custom order and it comes within $3000 - black, glass roof, cream (the tan leather doesn't exist anymore), carbon décor, premium pkg which includes the subzero, enhanced auto. In addition, it would have air suspension and a faster 0-60 time. To me, it seems buying a brand new one is worth the $3000 upcharge + $2500 deposit lost.

Thoughts?
GET AIR GET AIR GET AIR GET AIR. I have two S's - I regret the coils. GET AIR. If you haven't driven air and you don't have a chance to drive one, I may be in Minneapolis next week to catch Dunkirk at the Imax - happy to take you for a spin.

I have coil suspension in my current car and came from air. I slightly prefer the coils, get complimented on the smoothness all the time, and am happy I won't have to deal with expensive repairs down the road.
Had coil on my first S85, which was RWD. Have coil again on my current S85D but somehow the added weight of the second motor has made the car much lower and now I have problems negotiating any severe inclines, including my office garage (need to 'chicane' it, and it certainly won't work with other persons on board). Just back from vacationing in France where speed bumps are a real nightmare with my coils. Would definitely go for air tomorrow.

Do we even know what the VIN cutoff is to include the air suspension and quicker times?

There is no VIN cutoff as the VINs are assigned before the cars are manufactured. We've seen no cars yet with a manufacture date before 15 June have the new DU00 drive unit. All cars with a manufacture date of 21 June or later are supposed to be eligible for "uncorking". More recent cars come preinstalled from the factory. It is unclear as to what happens to the lost children in between.15 and 21 June.

Air suspension may be uncorrelated. I could have ordered air suspension or not and likely got the new drive unit.

I would like to know too! Mine is in the 194XXX range so I'm guessing no :(

Your VIN is probably too low. My VIN 202xxx was assigned early for a requested late delivery. Your car was likely manufactured before 15 June.

GET AIR GET AIR GET AIR GET AIR. I have two S's - I regret the coils. GET AIR. If you haven't driven air and you don't have a chance to drive one, I may be in Minneapolis next week to catch Dunkirk at the Imax - happy to take you for a spin.
Oh Thanks for the offer! I did test drive a tesla with air. I got a kick out of the car raising and lowering with a touch of a button. Ride wise, I didn't have the coil to compare to.

Thoughts?
IMO I would wait a few months and see what the $44k model 3 with 310 miles of range is going to do to the model s 75. Judging by many of the comments I read here impact on sales is going to be very significant.

I'd ask. We almost changed our minds after signing a contract but they were willing to waive the fee. We decided to keep what we were getting. Now I wish I had the softer vegan seats. And if air suspension was included, I would have loved it. Also, is it true that some are reporting their 75s are coming with 85 batteries? I'm not sure what to make of that, but we definitely received a 75. Maybe when they dropped the 60, they began placing the 85 batteries in these cars. It would be a bonus if you could upgrade down the road.