Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyers Remorse because of cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Y last month and it came with the old cameras. My neighbor took delivery this week and has the new cameras. I compared both side cameras and his definitely looks different. I also compared the video quality of his side cameras and the video look as good as his backup camera. My side cameras have an orangish tint. I wish I took delivery a month later to get the better image quality of the side cameras.

I have a feeling you are going to be sorely disappointed with your Tesla experience then. Perhaps it wasn't the right choice for you.

Tesla constantly revises their products, not just on a model year basis. They tweak this here, and that there. Sometimes adding new features, sometimes removing them.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself some questions.

When you bought the car a month ago, were you satisfied with the video you got from the side cameras, or did they seem slightly off, but you decided to go ahead with the purchase anyway? Or maybe possibly you just didn't notice or care at the time (which is likely going to be the case long term if you happen to keep the car) When I bought my car, there was no way to even see those camera feeds. It was only after the addition of additional camera views when reversing (or enabling the camera view), sentry mode, and then eventually the turn signal cameras that I could even see those views anyway.

Is the video quality of those cameras a make or break item? How often are you going to be watching them and for what purpose? To quickly glance and see if a car or object is there, or will you be staring at them intently admiring the beauty of the landscape as it passes by?

Yes, it does suck that someone that took delivery a month later than you has "superior" cameras. But a month after that there will be some other advance, and so on. You could just be happy that your car will be enhanced over time with software updates, unlike practically every other car out there.

At any rate, if you are going to have buyer's remorse over this, perhaps you should sell the car now and buy a more traditional vehicle, because you're only going to continue to feel that way time and again in the future.

I don't know if this applies to newer cars (or even mine!) or not, but it's interesting:

The article explicitly mentions the Model S and Model X, but not the Model 3 or Model Y. I checked my Tesla app, and there's no notice in my Inbox (as in the screen shot in the article) or in my Service area (where there is a notice about CCS retrofits being available sometime in 2023). My car is an early 2019 Model 3 with fully-purchased FSD. I don't know the detailed history of camera updates in Teslas, but my guess is that Tesla is not currently offering free camera updates to people with earlier Model 3 or Model Y vehicles, or presumably Model S or Model X cars with the same cameras. That's not to say they won't eventually offer such updates, if/when Tesla deems them to be necessary to provide FSD functionality.

My car was manufactured on 2/12/22, just 2 days before the line shut down to update the Model S to the new tail lights and new matrix head lights. I took delivery of my car on 3/2/22. I considered passing on it and waiting for a more updated version, but had been waiting 8 months and didn't want to wait a couple more months for a replacement. I have zero regrets for taking delivery of my car at that time, and have enjoyed it thoroughly ever since (I actually like the old tail lights better, personally, and my headlights have been just fine for my use).

Like others have said, Tesla is constantly updating things in their cars, and it's best to just enjoy your terrific car without constantly questioning whether you should wait just a bit longer to get an even better car...

The article explicitly mentions the Model S and Model X, but not the Model 3 or Model Y. I checked my Tesla app, and there's no notice in my Inbox (as in the screen shot in the article) or in my Service area (where there is a notice about CCS retrofits being available sometime in 2023). My car is an early 2019 Model 3 with fully-purchased FSD. I don't know the detailed history of camera updates in Teslas, but my guess is that Tesla is not currently offering free camera updates to people with earlier Model 3 or Model Y vehicles, or presumably Model S or Model X cars with the same cameras. That's not to say they won't eventually offer such updates, if/when Tesla deems them to be necessary to provide FSD functionality.
The article mentions the X and S, but for the Nov 2021 upgrades. It doesn't specify which vehicles will be affected this time around. Hopefully it'll apply to FSD/FSDb users across the whole vehicle range

Reactions: VanFriscia
I took delivery of my Y last month and it came with the old cameras. My neighbor took delivery this week and has the new cameras. I compared both side cameras and his definitely looks different. I also compared the video quality of his side cameras and the video look as good as his backup camera. My side cameras have an orangish tint. I wish I took delivery a month later to get the better image quality of the side cameras.

The orange tint is because the side cameras were originally designed/intended for autodriving only and not human viewing, unlike the backup cam.

They don't have the same color filters as RGB photography cameras (being 2 color not 3), but are more sensitive to overall light intensity as a result. The tint is the consequence of the best-guess transformation for human use, but it's essentially colorblind.

The new cameras might be better in other ways though that we don't yet know.

I do not believe there are "new cameras" for the 3 or Y. I have an October 2019 Model 3, and the latest beta is installed and running fine. Yes, the sides are "orangish," but they work fine.

Reactions: Yelobird