Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying $150 Key fob for wife, worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Fob (it doesn't require coaxing to wake up every morning like my App and my son). I have chosen to entomb it in this $18.00 Amazon cast aluminum holder, which protects it quite nicely. The fob works every time, without forcing me to fumble for the card in my wallet.
20210126_081536.jpg

Is there a pin inside the Fob for the loop?

I have a recent fob. There's no way that I can see to hook up that loop. I just ordered the silicon strap thing that Tesla sells. It holds the key very well.

Here are my thoughts on the fob:

I got it for my wife. She's used to grabbing her keys when she heads out the door so the fob gives the same experience. (or she can leave it in her purse if she wants)

We're used to having our house key on the key ring so having a fob key ring solves that. (Alternatively I guess I could go for an electronic lock on the house)

When using phone as key I can't leave my phone in the car when I want to do that. Fob solves that.

Fob makes it easier to open the trunk. (in my opinion)

I like the fob enough that I'm going to order a 2nd fob for myself and remove the phone as a key.

Note that even if I don't use my phone as a key I will still have the app on my phone and have all that functionality.

Last edited:
I have a recent fob. There's no way that I can see to hook up that loop.
From the owner's manual regarding fob battery replacement (page 11 or thereabouts) - picture shows the attaching point.

Attaching a Lanyard

To attach a lanyard, release the bottom cover as described above. Place the lanyard over the pin located between the slots on the widest side of the key fob. Re- align the cover and snap into place.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeNY
Is there a pin inside the Fob for the loop?

Yes. I've been doing this with 3 different cars and 5 different fobs since 2012 or the past 9 years. There's nothing new.

The pin/hook is on the left of the picture:

Mp0W2Yq.jpg

That's where you hook the loop onto as below

yzNVzbp.jpg

This is how it looks after you completed your task of hooking up and cover the lid up:

nZ38IB9.jpg

ArtK: Does the fob still work passively while inside the cast aluminum case?
ArtK: Does the fob still work passively while inside the cast aluminum case?
It works flawlessly. Assembling it is kind of "fun" because they provide you with a number of 4mm x 8mm self-sticking pieces of foam to be applied to the aluminum frame's nether regions to act as a shock absorber and create a good fit without scratching the fob. At least, that was my thought, as there were no instructions.

Well, my wife is a non-tech person. So far, the MY Bluetooth works ok with her iPhone. But I don't know what is the failure rate in the real world. Anyone has connection issues with iPhone please chime in. I do know she can use a card-key in case the Iphone fails. But is worth it to buy $150 to have a better experience?
LOL, I know the question "worth it" depends heavily on your bank account and how much you are willing to spend. But just want to get the general senses :)

Thx guys

These are newbie problems. I say buy the car, enjoy it for a few months, then decide what’s necessary....and I’ll tell you the key fob is definitely not necessary. You have a phone and card but that’s my opinion....and yes you can open the trunk and frunk remotely from the app.

Thanks. I'm in the same boat as the OP. My wife would just want it to work without having to play around with her phone. I'll wait until I get my MY and see how it goes, but I know I have other options now.
Well, if my experience is worth anything, I've never had to play with my phone to get it to work. There's lots of posts with people occasionally having problems but I suspect that's down to particular phone models and settings. In over a year I have NEVER ONCE had the car not open when I pull the handle -- no intervention from the phone needed. If it works with her phone (as it does with both of ours), she won't have to "play around with her phone" to get into the car. Now, if you want to be able to open the trunk remotely, you will have to pull the phone out.

Well, if my experience is worth anything, I've never had to play with my phone to get it to work. There's lots of posts with people occasionally having problems but I suspect that's down to particular phone models and settings. In over a year I have NEVER ONCE had the car not open when I pull the handle -- no intervention from the phone needed. If it works with her phone (as it does with both of ours), she won't have to "play around with her phone" to get into the car. Now, if you want to be able to open the trunk remotely, you will have to pull the phone out.

do you have iPhone or Android? I’ve seen postings on here about problems with iPhones and I don’t want to have intermittent problems. I realize that the only people that post are those with problems, but I just wanted to k ow what my options are in case she ever has a problem with it.