Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying $150 Key fob for wife, worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my wife is a non-tech person. So far, the MY Bluetooth works ok with her iPhone. But I don't know what is the failure rate in the real world. Anyone has connection issues with iPhone please chime in. I do know she can use a card-key in case the Iphone fails. But is worth it to buy $150 to have a better experience?
LOL, I know the question "worth it" depends heavily on your bank account and how much you are willing to spend. But just want to get the general senses :)

Thx guys

I'm a little over six months into ownership and haven't had my phone completely fail to open the vehicle, though there have been a couple times it took a moment for the car to recognize the phone was nearby.

Our car came with two key cards - did yours not? One lives in my wallet, the other is prepared for giving to valet drivers (card sleeve with basic instructions). In the car we've also named each of the cards, though I haven't gone to the trouble of making the valet card restricted, but I intend to.

I'm a little over six months into ownership and haven't had my phone completely fail to open the vehicle, though there have been a couple times it took a moment for the car to recognize the phone was nearby.

Our car came with two key cards - did yours not? One lives in my wallet, the other is prepared for giving to valet drivers (card sleeve with basic instructions). In the car we've also named each of the cards, though I haven't gone to the trouble of making the valet card restricted, but I intend to.

I recommend buying another spare that you store safely at home if you have the two cards that came with car in active use. It was probably the first thing I went to buy (ended getting it free because this was back in the day when you had to go the service center to get them programmed and they just gave them to me). If you lose all your key cards you will not be able to program another one without a trip to the service center.

With regard to the OPs question; you know your partner best. The phone as a key is great when it is dialed in. There are numerous threads about making sure the settings are correct. If your partner has the patience to go through any troubleshooting to get it fixed then they will likely be happy with a phone as key (assuming they always keep a phone with them). If that will cause strife then get a fob.

Also If they also carry purse or something similar that can hold a card then they are gold for carrying the backup key. This is still handy even if they have key fob.

Thx a lot guys. I use Android, Galaxy Note, sometimes I have an issue, it requires me to move my phone over the outside mirror (since tella installed Bluetooth there) for the car to detect my phone. My wife has in IPhone, I worry she might have the same issue that I have. But so far, she has been ok with her IPhone. She does keep a card-key in her purse in case her IPhone does not work.

But again to see if it's worth it. I heard that key fob will work like 100% of the time, that's why I ask for opinions. Also, I thought being able to open frunk/trunk with key fob is much easier than open Tesla Apps on the phone might worth the money :)

Thx a lot guys. I use Android, Galaxy Note, sometimes I have an issue, it requires me to move my phone over the outside mirror (since tella installed Bluetooth there) for the car to detect my phone. My wife has in IPhone, I worry she might have the same issue that I have. But so far, she has been ok with her IPhone. She does keep a card-key in her purse in case her IPhone does not work.

But again to see if it's worth it. I heard that key fob will work like 100% of the time, that's why I ask for opinions. Also, I thought being able to open frunk/trunk with key fob is much easier than open Tesla Apps on the phone might worth the money :)

I bought my wife a fob for our Y. This was in March 2020 before she used to drive a lot more, and more times getting in and out of the car. Yes, the fob worked 100% of the time even when it just sits passively in her purse.

Maybe an Apple watch with an app to open the frunk/trunk (basically all the functions of Tesla app) is better than buying the fob. I use Watch for Tesla app in my Apple Watch to do pretty much all of the above functions, plus Auto Frunk by Tesla Offer help solve another first world problem. lol :D.

Kidding aside, I probably would not buy a fob if i were to do it over. Phone and key card is good enough.

Few more points - I used to have Samsung Galaxy with similar issue with yours. The Near Field Comm function works for Androids amd Tesla. Just tap your authenticated Android phone to the driver pillar below the camera and it will lock/unlock your car. It also works as key by tapping it on the sensor by the cup holders.

Google Assistant’s EV Car add on app can also be used to remotely lock/unlock, and whatever else - easily in an Android phone.

• Informative
Reactions: TravelFree
The only issue I have found with the phone is after an update I've had to re-enter the Tesla account password again.
I agree with the others, just give her a key card and make sure she understands how to use it. It's easy for non techies.
The phone access is really nice.

Thanks for the discussion.

To clarify: the Tesla keyfob opens passively 100% of the time? My wife prefers the convenience of car access w/o having to take the fob out of her purse.

Does the key fob LOCK passively, as well?

Yes walk away lock works with the fob also.

we got the fob for my wife’s Y and it is worth it. The phone works most of the time, but when it doesn’t, it’s annoying. The card is inconvenient, only good as a backup. The fob always works. Doesn’t require any special settings, a password, etc. it lives in her purse so it’s not big deal to her.

i love phone as key because I hate carrying extra stuff around.

But- the phone-as-key is even less convenient when you have multiple Teslas and switch between them. First world problems, I know...

The only issue I have found with the phone is after an update I've had to re-enter the Tesla account password again.
I agree with the others, just give her a key card and make sure she understands how to use it. It's easy for non techies.
The phone access is really nice.

Not 100% certain, but I think the "phone key" will still work ... because I've noticed having to re-enter my password as well when opening the app, but never has the phone key stop working and then realize I need to re-enter the password.

My wife is also not a techy and is not keen on Tesla (so has no fanboy excuses), but because of WFH we sold her car and she now drives "Tessie". I setup the phone, explained the keycard, and she hasn't had any problems**. She got a new phone and I forgot to install the Tesla app and she didn't even say anything, just started using the keycard (she has it attached to a "key ring" whatever that is).

** The two issues she has had are (because I didn't explain)
1) If she used the key card manually she had to lock manually as well, so she left the car unlocked the first time out with her new phone w/o app
2) If she unlocks the car with they key card she has ~30 seconds to start driving, otherwise she has to "start" the car at the center console.

Once she understood the "key card" is basically a manual key (manually lock, unlock, _and_ start the car) she was good.

Hope that helps. I can see if someone is anti-smart phone but still want the "convenience" of one or easy to open/close the trunk, a fob may make sense.

Last edited:
For the wife, if she carries a purse normally, then getting a key fob maybe a good idea especially if she uses an iPhone. My wife's Tesla app on her iPhone kept logging her out every other month. She just left her keyfob in the purse and it works 100% of the time.

I came from a Model X and was used to the Key Fob. I enjoy not having to unlock my phone open the app to let my kids in the car. I'm old school too so that may be it ;)

You do not have to open the App for the Phone to unlock the car. As long as the phone is unlocked my car sees the phone and unlocks the door...

Also, if you prefer the card, I have found that I can leave it in my wallet and simple place my wallet on the door pillar. The same works for starting the car from the center console. Once the car is started the your wallet can go back in your pocket, it is not necessary to keep it on the center console.

Reactions: theothertom
I've got fobs for both MY's...wouldn't have it any other way. Car always unlocks on approach, and locks when walking away. I can double-click to open the frunk or trunk without having to get my phone out, unlocking it, launching the app, etc. So easy.

Another benefit...the fob even works with a dead battery. In that case, you use it like the key cards you get. Just touch to the pillar to unlock the door, and to the center console to start.

ETA: And if you have EAP/FSD, you can use the fob for dumb summon.

Reactions: VikH
I know no one would believe. I do not have cell phone for the 13+ yrs and still don't. I bought fob (passive entry) for my M3 -sold the M3 and replaced with MY. Fob is no brainer-it works like champ.
Ok, I know Colorado well, I lived in Gunnison 40 years ago and yes I am an old fart. If you were to have a flat tire in rural Colorado, how the flying flip would you call for help. I have not seen a pay phone in at least 15 years. I have not seen a payphone at an Interstate rest area either.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung