Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying $150 Key fob for wife, worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y fob is the same as the Model S fob. I ran a very successful business for over 20 years and retired 2 years ago. 95% of the equipment that I sold came from two top tier companies in the industry. One evening I got a call and walked the individual through the operation over the phone and he insisted that he was doing exactly as I stated and that it was not working. Since my Techs were tied up the next day, I drove almost 4 hours one-way to get to the location, I drove up he handed me the piece of equipment, I pushed the proper button, it worked and I simply told the individual to have a nice day. My point is that 99% of the issues that I had were simply operator error. Individuals that were not willing to listen to simple, basic instructions...

Reactions: 101dals
The Model Y fob is the same as the Model S fob. I ran a very successful business for over 20 years and retired 2 years ago. 95% of the equipment that I sold came from two top tier companies in the industry. One evening I got a call and walked the individual through the operation over the phone and he insisted that he was doing exactly as I stated and that it was not working. Since my Techs were tied up the next day, I drove almost 4 hours one-way to get to the location, I drove up he handed me the piece of equipment, I pushed the proper button, it worked and I simply told the individual to have a nice day. My point is that 99% of the issues that I had were simply operator error. Individuals that were not willing to listen to simple, basic instructions...
They are actually different. Different tech used between the two. Different frequencies and encryptions, I believe ones Bluetooth and ones not? I don't know the specs I just know they differ. Or at least the old and new ones do.

I work in IT so I understand your operation error comment. "Did you try restarting" and "F5" are still the top direction we give that solves most problems. My point was that in the case of the keyfob for the Tesla, it's not supposed to depend on what side you walk up on it or what pocket you have it in.

If a keyfob that was 8 years old had no issues when approaching the car from every angle, in various bags/pockets, over 4,000 times, then there shouldn't be a reason why a new keyfob for a different tesla only works if you walk up to it at a 43degree angle, having your left hand on your head, hopping on one foot, with it being a blue moon out.

Reactions: coleman567
Here is my two cents, if she wants it, buy it. If you can afford a $50,000 plus car $150 should not even be a thought. I payed $7,000 to have a full wrap done on my Model Y and I love it. It made keeping the car clean in the Ohio Winter much easier. Just remember, if you have a phone that has a NFC Chip then you can use is just like a Key Card, swipe and beep, beep.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Well, my Model Y finally arrived and the unlocking system is better than the Model S. However, The Model S Key FOB is better because it doesn't require a sleeve. The two are different.

Experience with the iphone 12 is perfect and so far totally reliable and we don't need to tap the phone to the pillar like the little cards. The iphone even when locked in her purse or in my belt holster will unlock the Model Y as we walk up to it. I tested that and about 20-30ft range from either side. I can unlock the trunk, frunk, and charge port and back doors all the same with the iphone every time. In addition, both of us can unlock with out iphones and the car recognizes our mirror and seat settings too. No need to get the phone out and launch the Tesla app.

Now we bought the Key Fobs before receiving the car based on misinformation about how reliable the iphone was. So now we have these Fobs as backups just in case... Normally my wife will leave the house without her phone because she has her apple watch which doesn't work the same to unlock the car that we figured out yet. I plan to experiment with the watch's blue tooth to see if I can pair it and report back later on this. It should work in theory.

So for now, we have the key fob as a backup she keeps in her purse.

One word of caution on the iphone BT is the range is BT, not NFC. so if you park your car in your driveway near the house and are inside within range, anyone can approach the car and get in. I've run several tests and was forced to move our iphone charging station to get it a greater distance away from the outside wall next to the driveway.

The range on the M Y key fob is greater than the Model S as well but appears less than the iphone range.

Your experience with an Android or different model iphone may be different.

My wife's iPhone 12 seems to only work as a key when the app is open in the background. This wasn't the case before. Anybody else experience this?
No but make sure the Easy Entry box is checked. Mine was and my iphone worked every time. Her's wasn't and needed to open with the app. I fixed that by checking the Easy Entry box on her iphone 12 and both work flawlessly now.

I am giving in and buying 2 key fobs after standing in the hailstone, yanking the handle to open, then having to root around for the card because opening the app takes longer.

Enough, key fob 100%

I embrace the future, but the future is taking longer and making me wet :)
if you have NFC turned on on your phone to can use it like a keycard and place it on the B-pillar. Ever so often I do that (maybe once every few months)

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
One word of caution on the iphone BT is the range is BT, not NFC. so if you park your car in your driveway near the house and are inside within range, anyone can approach the car and get in. I've run several tests and was forced to move our iphone charging station to get it a greater distance away from the outside wall next to the driveway.
Our Y is being delivered in June. Is there anyway to use NFS only? My bluetooth headphones stay in range when I am in my driveway and my phone is inside.

Also, can the fobs be assigned to a driver profile?

Our Y is being delivered in June. Is there anyway to use NFS only? My bluetooth headphones stay in range when I am in my driveway and my phone is inside.

Also, can the fobs be assigned to a driver profile?
Yes and yes.

I don't think you need to worry about your phone being in the house and activating the car though. I find that mine needs to be within about 8 feet for the car to unlock.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
I am giving in and buying 2 key fobs after standing in the hailstone, yanking the handle to open, then having to root around for the card because opening the app takes longer.

Enough, key fob 100%

I embrace the future, but the future is taking longer and making me wet :)
My battery died and was again left standing in the freezing rain trying to unlock the door. The car did warn me the battery was low but I was a little disgruntled that it died within 13 months of purchasing it and assumed it was cold weather related. It has since warmed up to almost 70 here and the warning is gone again...