Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying $150 Key fob for wife, worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my wife is a non-tech person. So far, the MY Bluetooth works ok with her iPhone. But I don't know what is the failure rate in the real world. Anyone has connection issues with iPhone please chime in. I do know she can use a card-key in case the Iphone fails. But is worth it to buy $150 to have a better experience?
LOL, I know the question "worth it" depends heavily on your bank account and how much you are willing to spend. But just want to get the general senses :)

Thx guys
if the key allows you to have keyless entry, it's worth it. I would hate to have to take out my phone or key card to unlock the car every time

Fob is a great backup imo. If you are ever out of cell phone reception areas ohine can't let you in so cwrd or fob is nice and I prefer the fob.
@John178652 , LOL, you don't need reception of your phone to open Tesla. It uses bluetooth, nothing to do with reception. Even you are in the jungle where they don't have Verizon, ATT, or Mobile, you still be able to open your car. You need reception for your Tesla App, yes. Your tesla App uses internet ("reception") to communicate with your Tesla, then this case, you need 4g/5g connection around your Tesla area

if the key allows you to have keyless entry, it's worth it. I would hate to have to take out my phone or key card to unlock the car every time
It's keyless entry like any new car nowaday. But I did not buy it since the phone works well. Btw, you don't need to take our your phone, the bluetooth is strong enough to connect to your Tesla within 6 feet.

Reactions: TMSfanatic
As someone who has an S with a fob for 4 years and was really worried about not having one with my Y (was debating buying one) almost a year later I can say not having a fob took little to no adjustment where I never got one. Phone works 99.9% of the time. Sometimes I have to unlock the phone for the Bluetooth to acknowledge, but NfC or the key card in my phone wallet is there for backup

Keys arrived. Worked well. Buttons helpful.
It does not connect to a key ring, it is like a small toy car. There's a tiny lanyard hook inside, but you have to purchase either the sleeve or the mini lanyard from Amazon.

The key does work like any other car key that you are used to. This solution for us means that it doesn't have to connect to your bluetooth - although only milliseconds, in the UK where it rains a lot and not sunny California, those seconds are a pain, especially whilst it fights between my phone and my wife's phone who is entering the passenger side just got too much - in the hailstone!!

I now have all 3 options enabled, key card, bluetooth and key / fob. It seems to work, randomly chooses who is driving though and squishes me into her seat setting.

Aluminum protective case? There's an aluminum protective case for the Tesla keyfob? I have the Tesla leather thing that you slide your key into.

I have an early 2021 Model X and I use the key fob inside a "Kwak's" aluminum key fob cover (available in four colors on Amazon*, eBay, etc.). This particular brand (there are others) seems particularly well made, with tiny screws that hold the two (top and bottom) "clamshell" pieces together around the fob, a screwdriver tool, insulation to protect the fob inside the metal case, and choice of leather lanyard types (all provided in a presentation box--makes a nice gift [hint: the Holidays are approaching]).

Some people complain that metal fob covers can interfere with the fob's wireless functioning. I have not noticed that. If it does occur, I suspect it to be related to the status of the fob battery charge.

The aluminum case acts like an external "skeleton," protecting the fob at its edges while still allowing access to top, front, rear, and side (for Model X) control buttons. Whatever brand you choose, be sure to get an aluminum cover that is sized correctly for either the Models S/3/Y fobs, or for the slightly larger Model X fob (that has the side buttons for the FWDs).

Other fob "covers" that seem good to me include the Tesla silicon rubber band with key ring (still available on the Tesla "Shop" webpage), the original Tesla black leather holders with key ring (given out freely to early customers in the "old" days; nice grade of leather), and various fitted leather and silicon covers made in China. Coincidentally, here is a little YouTube video that compares some of the Tesla fob cover options.

Tesla has obviously moved away from (expensive) key fobs (in favor of key cards and the phone App). Call me "old school," but I still prefer the (mini-me) fob (shaped, as it is, like a little Tesla car).

Disclosure: I have no financial ties and receive no benefits of any kind from anyone/anything involved with these products. I am just a satisfied customer.
_____
* E.g., here for Models S/3/Y and here for Model X.

Last edited:
...is worth it to buy $150 to [buy Tesla key fob]?

I have found that genuine new and used Tesla key fobs are readily available on eBay and on Craig's List. Lot's of people have extra fobs that they rarely or never used; such "used" fobs can be indistinguishable for "new." Fobs that really have been used a lot tend to show external evidence of this--i.e., scratches or wear--so they are easy to spot. Also, be sure there is no sign of internal water damage, corrosion, or broken contacts.

Since, in my experience, "used" fobs can sell for significantly less than new from Tesla (e.g., ~$75), if you find one in good shape for less it really affects the "is it worth it" decision. Naturally, as with all private sales, you want to be careful, ask questions, and "feel out" the seller and product. (Be prepared to "walk away" from dodgy individuals or items.)

If you take care, finding a used fob with a clean exterior and interior, replacement of the battery, and programming/syncing (by Tesla or, for some cars, by you) and you have what amounts to a new key fob for much less than Tesla wants. I am not sure for other models, but the Model X I have can accept up to, I think, something like eight different programmed fobs. (So handy if you have a big family of drivers.)

Ok, I know Colorado well, I lived in Gunnison 40 years ago and yes I am an old fart. If you were to have a flat tire in rural Colorado, how the flying flip would you call for help. I have not seen a pay phone in at least 15 years. I have not seen a payphone at an Interstate rest area either.
if we attach "if" we'd never end the conversation. I never hesitate to take my EVs (MY & Bolt EV) where I wanted-Bolt is mostly just commuting-so far, never had any tire issues. Moreover, I do not have Sky-is-falling mentality-these days almost everyone has a phone with unlimited talk & text-they're good fellas out there. Funny though, my friend has 2 MYs and had tire issues-I told him it's not just about owning EVs you got to have Green Commitment. I do care a lot about ecology.