Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying 2016 Model X 60D 125k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm buying a one owner 2016 Model X 60D with 125k miles. The paint needs a full compound, polish, ceramic coating to bring it back to life but I'll make it look new again. I'm either going to powder coat the OEM wheels or get the factory 22" wheels if I can get some for a good price. Currently it charges to 187 miles which is at 100% charge since it has the larger battery pack from the 75D but its software limited. Does anyone else know what Tesla is charging to open it up to the 75D? Additionally, I'm going to upgrade the MCU to the 2.0 version to speed it up a bit. If it has the shudder issue, do you know if this is still covered under the OEM drivetrain warranty? Any tips or tricks to modernize this 2016 Model X would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.39.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.39.52 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 271
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.40.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.40.01 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.40.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.40.10 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.40.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.40.52 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
if it has the shudder issue, do you know if this is still covered under the OEM drivetrain warranty? Any tips or tricks to modernize this 2016 Model X would be appreciated!
60kWh battery has no warranty left. Not sure about the drivetrain but I expect it is the same.

For all the money you are already expecting to pour into this thing, you should seriously be considering at least a 75D or above unless you are getting this one for next to nothing.

60kWh battery has no warranty left. Not sure about the drivetrain but I expect it is the same.

For all the money you are already expecting to pour into this thing, you should seriously be considering at least a 75D or above unless you are getting this one for next to nothing.
The battery and drive unit has 8 years or 150,000 mile warranty. I'm getting it for $45k, maybe put $5k into it... still $15k cheaper than any 75D out there with high miles even.

1647987832653.png

Reactions: henderrj
Also check out the post below
Yup, its a city car, I don't drive over 125 miles in Phoenix ever.... if I do it has free Supercharging. People are paranoid about the mileage and they never drive more than that in a day. Road trips we have a new Raptor to utilize

Good call on the mcu2. We upgraded our old 85 model S with it and it made a world of difference. They also update the other screen. So it's a pretty amazing deal.

We've got over 250,000 mi on our model s with the original battery, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Especially as it is, as you said, actually a 75 derated. That thing will probably be running for another 10 or 15 years!

Check with Jason Hughes' company. I think he's offering battery warranty on those 75s.

Reactions: kotykb
I am getting ready to sell my 2016 MX 60D in Phoenix. Mine has 140k miles (white/white) and looks brand new inside and out.
I'm selling because I just took delivery of my 2022 Long Range X!!!!
A couple of notes,
1. I have the 75D Battery as well, but when I took it into the service center they said that the battery is not eligible for upgrade... :(
2. Actually, that's my only note. Enjoy your MX!
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?

It’s absolutely ridiculous when people say things like this. It will run for another 10-15 years? Based on what?

Please show me one Model X that has made it through the FIRST 10-15 years.
Absolutely ridiculous? There are many cars out there driving for 40 and 50 years, and they aren't mostly aluminum like the teslas. My Model S is at just about 8 years and looks to be good for at least twice that long again. Obviously there's no model x that has made it to the first 10 to 15 years because they haven't been out that long! I'm not quite sure your point in all this. Why wouldn't these cars make it another 10 or 15 years? Sure, maybe with a new battery, but I don't see why they couldn't keep running. On what do you base your great pessimism?

Remember, there are tons of airplanes made out of aluminum that are still flying after 60 and 70 years. It's not hard to keep things going if you don't have too much corrosion. Lots of parts get replaced, but that doesn't mean the vehicle can't keep running.

Good call on the mcu2. We upgraded our old 85 model S with it and it made a world of difference. They also update the other screen. So it's a pretty amazing deal.

We've got over 250,000 mi on our model s with the original battery, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Especially as it is, as you said, actually a 75 derated. That thing will probably be running for another 10 or 15 years!

Check with Jason Hughes' company. I think he's offering battery warranty on those 75s.
What is Jason Hughes' company called? He offers an aftermarket extended Tesla warranty?

I am getting ready to sell my 2016 MX 60D in Phoenix. Mine has 140k miles (white/white) and looks brand new inside and out.
I'm selling because I just took delivery of my 2022 Long Range X!!!!
A couple of notes,
1. I have the 75D Battery as well, but when I took it into the service center they said that the battery is not eligible for upgrade... :(
2. Actually, that's my only note. Enjoy your MX!
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?
DM sent

It’s absolutely ridiculous when people say things like this. It will run for another 10-15 years? Based on what?

Please show me one Model X that has made it through the FIRST 10-15 years.
haha don't worry, its just a beater to hold me over for a year or two. We want something not as nice as our Raptor and Macan GTS for daily use, going to target, costco etc. I'm sure it'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiine

I have been very happy with XCare, though, I'm not sure what mileage cutoff is...it might be 100k
Never heard of this but I'll look into it. From what I've been reading, there aren't many people having issues with the X's and the battery/drivetrain have 2.5 years and 25k miles left on the warranty. We'll keep it for 1, maybe 2 years max. If my wife likes it, we'll sell our Macan then order a new Model X long range later this year.

Obviously there's no model x that has made it to the first 10 to 15 years because they haven't been out that long! I'm not quite sure your point in all this.
This is exactly my point. There aren’t any.

What makes you think Tesla isn’t going to EOL/EOS these vehicles? You think a 2016 Model X is going to last 50 years like an old aluminum airplane? That is just laughable.

Never heard of this but I'll look into it. From what I've been reading, there aren't many people having issues with the X's and the battery/drivetrain have 2.5 years and 25k miles left on the warranty. We'll keep it for 1, maybe 2 years max. If my wife likes it, we'll sell our Macan then order a new Model X long range later this year.

I would do some more searching. If I didn't have a warranty I'd be out of pocket over 10k.