Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a ‘23 MY Standard Range - Please educate me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery was on Saturday and everything went flawlessly. SA went over and walked me through my profile settings and some of the functions, The adapter J1772 was included and also a license plate holder for the front. I wasn't aware of these extras so it was a nice surprise. Luckily, I didn't find any defects or noises yet.
I chose the mobile connector as charging solution. Laundry room is right next to the garage so we are using a splitter to avoid plugging/unplugging the dryer and we got almost 30mph.
Overall, super happy with my AWD and the delivery experience.

My delivery was on Saturday and everything went flawlessly. SA went over and walked me through my profile settings and some of the functions, The adapter J1772 was included and also a license plate holder for the front. I wasn't aware of these extras so it was a nice surprise. Luckily, I didn't find any defects or noises yet.
I chose the mobile connector as charging solution. Laundry room is right next to the garage so we are using a splitter to avoid plugging/unplugging the dryer and we got almost 30mph.
Overall, super happy with my AWD and the delivery experience.
Congrats!! were you able to get $250 for the other order?

Reactions: BPats2023
Congrats!! were you able to get $250 for the other order?
No, unfortunately I wasn't able to convince them. Their argument was that both orders were from "inventory" and that allegedly they weren't able to refund it because of that. So, I see it as a small investment to secure the full tax credit. Besides, once I got into my new car nothing else mattered... literally. :)

Hi! I got my delivery of a model y AWD yesterday and it also went fairly smoothly. No defects that I can see except a very tiny paint chip by a window that they fixed before I took official delivery of the car. I do have a question though…I drove it about 20 miles with the radio on and AC and the battery went down 13%. Is that fairly normal for an AWD? If it is, at least I know what to expect. Just want to make sure I don’t have a dud battery. Pls don’t come for me for not understanding energy and kWh, 🙈😂.

I drove it about 20 miles with the radio on and AC and the battery went down 13%. Is that fairly normal for an AWD? If it is, at least I know what to expect. Just want to make sure I don’t have a dud battery. Pls don’t come for me for not understanding energy and kWh, 🙈😂.
Congrats!!! Keep in mind EVs are no different than ICE vehicles. In other words, the faster you go the more energy gets consumed. The AWDs start with lower range so depending on your driving style you can go through energy quickly. The car recommends staying below 70 mph. Colder outside temperatures have an affect on battery especially if the car sits outside and cold soaked, don't think this applies to you though. Radio does not affect range as it runs off the 12v battery, the heat pump has a slight impact but way more efficient than older generation climate systems. I'd say your range is average or better and nothing to worry about. Just plug the car in set your charge threshold to within daily and you'll be fine. Lastly, you can track your energy use and try to train yourself to be at 300wh/Mile or below. The lower you go the better. Hopefully this helps.

In the DC area and finally have a EDD of 24-31 MAR for my 2023 MY AWD Austin build. Ordered 9 FEB, VIN provided 10 FEB. Then.....nothing until last week. Was TBD on my EDD until then. I am suspect though. Has anyone taken delivery of this model in the DC area (i.e., Tysons)? Did it have Matrix lights? Any build issues? Tips. Please help this guy.

Congrats!!! Keep in mind EVs are no different than ICE vehicles. In other words, the faster you go the more energy gets consumed. The AWDs start with lower range so depending on your driving style you can go through energy quickly. The car recommends staying below 70 mph. Colder outside temperatures have an affect on battery especially if the car sits outside and cold soaked, don't think this applies to you though. Radio does not affect range as it runs off the 12v battery, the heat pump has a slight impact but way more efficient than older generation climate systems. I'd say your range is average or better and nothing to worry about. Just plug the car in set your charge threshold to within daily and you'll be fine. Lastly, you can track your energy use and try to train yourself to be at 300wh/Mile or below. The lower you go the better. Hopefully this helps.
Thank you soooo much! I feel a lot better. Also, what percentage should I charge up to for a AWD 4680 battery? I hear different things since this is a different battery.

Thank you soooo much! I feel a lot better. Also, what percentage should I charge up to for a AWD 4680 battery? I hear different things since this is a different battery.
The AWD 4680 is same chemistry as the 2170 in the LR and P. So stick with Tesla's recommended range of 50-90% daily charge. The only battery that is any different is the one in the M3 RWD which is LFP and is recommended to charge to 100% at least once a week.

In the DC area and finally have a EDD of 24-31 MAR for my 2023 MY AWD Austin build. Ordered 9 FEB, VIN provided 10 FEB. Then.....nothing until last week. Was TBD on my EDD until then. I am suspect though. Has anyone taken delivery of this model in the DC area (i.e., Tysons)? Did it have Matrix lights? Any build issues? Tips. Please help this guy.
Not in DC area but close (~100 miles north of DC). Like you, I was part of the early Feb 8/9 AWD pre-production orders and picked mine up yesterday Mar 18th. I got a VIN Mar 8th and my EDD changed from TBD to Mar 18th - 25th. Then on Mar 13th got the email to schedule delivery, choices were 18th or 20th. I'd say your window is accurate and will fall toward the sooner part of EDD vs later. No Matrix lights as those are only Fremont build, perfect build fit and finish (our second MY delivery in two months, a Fremont LR7 and Austin AWD. Both were flawless) As for tips, don't stress and make sure to complete your in-app tasks prior to delivery day. Lastly, you'll have all the time in the world (believe there is a delivery checklist you can search for here) to check your car out and get familiar with it on delivery day so take advantage of that. You're almost there, best of luck!!

Last edited:
I took delivery MYAWD, Austin build, at Owings Mills, MD about a week ago, not far from DC. I originally test drove MYLR at Tysons. No matrix. No build issues. It came with charging adapter and front plate bracket. I was able to inspect inside and out as long as I wanted before closing the deal. Good experience. The car rides quieter than the long ranges I’ve driven, including the test drive vehicle and a friends 2023. All in all, zero issues so far in about 500 miles and the range has been more than adequate for my usual 75 or so miles a day. While I have no experience with matrix headlights, whatever the Austin build headlights are, they are outstanding in my opinion. I was a bit leary about getting the MYAWD over the long range initially, but I have no regrets about saving the $4K now. Good luck.

I took delivery MYAWD, Austin build, at Owings Mills, MD about a week ago, not far from DC. I originally test drove MYLR at Tysons. No matrix. No build issues. It came with charging adapter and front plate bracket. I was able to inspect inside and out as long as I wanted before closing the deal. Good experience. The car rides quieter than the long ranges I’ve driven, including the test drive vehicle and a friends 2023. All in all, zero issues so far in about 500 miles and the range has been more than adequate for my usual 75 or so miles a day. While I have no experience with matrix headlights, whatever the Austin build headlights are, they are outstanding in my opinion. I was a bit leary about getting the MYAWD over the long range initially, but I have no regrets about saving the $4K now. Good luck.
Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

Picked up my MYAWD from the Paramus service center last Friday evening. Pickup process was super easy. Car came with rear parcel shelf.

Didn't find any issues that would make me want to reject the car. Panel gaps looked fine.

After driving it now the last few days, a couple of issues I have noticed, for which I have put in a service appointment (for 2 weeks from now, tesla service is backed up :rolleyes: )

1. Autopilot doesn't operate, says the cameras need to be re-aligned. Started from the 2nd day, which makes me think its more software than hardware? It doesn't see other cars on the road (or at least it doesn't show them on the screen next to my car). I tried doing the camera calibration through the menu, but that didn't help.
2. Slight creaking sound when I open the rear driver side door. Seems to come from the window when it goes down a tad to allow the door to open
3. Steering wheel needs to be centered. To keep the car going straight, have to tilt the wheel to the right ever so slightly. It's so small that my wife and others who have driven it haven't even noticed. Maybe I'm just hyper sensitive to it. 😏

Other stuff just as an FYI.

1. Car seems to ride very well, bit on the firm side, but absorbs bumps well. Can't tell if it's cos of the front casting on the 4680 MYAWDs, or just cos it's a new car. But it does feel better than some LRs I've driven in the past.
2. Seeing anywhere from 270wh to 310wh per mile on trips. One trip (~14 miles, -110ft drop in elevation, 42mph avg. speed) saw as little as 240wh/mi avg. consumption o_O . Definitely seeing higher consumption when its cold outside. Haven't done a proper range test yet, but it feels like ~230-240 miles on 90% charge is quite doable in this cold weather.

For those of you guys who got their MYAWD, would you guys be able to check what rear motors you guys got on your MYAWD? You can look at this thread to find out where to find the motor model:

Alright folks, delivery day is here. The final agreements and final payments tabs in the app are still grayed out. It's pouring rain, so I have no idea how I am going to inspect the car, but I'm just going to show up with a bank check armed with checklists and hope for the best.

Any advice welcome!
Just believe that the quality is good and delivery will go smoothly! Dont sweat the small defects that can be addressed at the SC! Unless you can fit your pinky into panel gaps, let them fix them for you and take delivery! And enjoy your car! Congrats!