Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2015 Model S85; Advice/Comments : )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post : )

Thinking of purchasing a 2015 S85 including cold weather, tech & premium interior packages with about 49,000 km.

I've been driving a 2011 Leaf for 2 years and enjoy everything about it but the range.

Any advice or comments you think may be relevant would be welcome!

I love my June build 85D...MS of this vintage have most of the good options, and not many problems

Are you looking to buy pre-owned through Tesla?

Have you been using EV CPO and the Tesla Tap site?

Thanks for the reply!

Glad to hear you enjoy your 85D & there not being many problems with these models. How is it possible to find out the month build?

I'm in Japan & am looking to purchase pre-owned directly through the auto auctions here.

We have a April ordered, June delivered s85. So not D.
Best car for me, compared to previous Audi A4 or Saab 93.
I would recommend Air Suspension as the car is low and this is often appreciated. Because the car remembers by GPS where you changed the suspension, you only have to set it once.
I was budget “restricted” by my better half, and I dropped the D for the air suspension.
Never regretted that decision: handling on snow is great even when going to ski resort, I’m not a fan of the whining (faint, but present) from the front Drive Unit in D cars, and the car dynamics of rear wheel drive is more to my liking. But good friend of mine with a D has the complete reverse opinion.
All personal choices and tastes indeed.
Congrats on any choice you make, it’s an amazing car and company.

First post : )

Thinking of purchasing a 2015 S85 including cold weather, tech & premium interior packages with about 49,000 km.

I've been driving a 2011 Leaf for 2 years and enjoy everything about it but the range.

Any advice or comments you think may be relevant would be welcome!

I had a 2012 Model S that was out of it's 4 year general warranty.

First bit of advise. Never own a Tesla that is out of warranty. ALL model S's have screen issues. The early ones the screen gets a bubble around the edge that gets bigger and bigger because the liquid in the display leaks out. Now I read the new ones have an issue called "yellow banding" that effects even the new Model S's.

Earlier S's also have issues with the door handles going bad. The handles are very complicated and cost some bucks to replace.

Also the rear drive units on nearly all the older Model S's were defective and needed to be replaced.

Let me restate. Get a car that has a warranty.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Getting a car with a warranty is indeed a good advise. Hence buying CPO from Tesla is definitely also my advise.
For the rest, this is a quite dark picture drawn above.
Yes, some have bubbles, some have yellow bands. Handles do also fail. Not all not always. Replacing can be expensive, but repairing is cheap (10$ parts) and not so hard. They are actually not complicated.
Drive units have indeed had problems in the early years, but they are replaced by the newest ones which are much more reliable. And even the 2012 models are still under the unlimited warranty of 8 years on both DU and battery. So a 2015 will be covered (again, only DU and battery) until 2023.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Getting a car with a warranty is indeed a good advise. Hence buying CPO from Tesla is definitely also my advise.
Replacing can be expensive, but repairing is cheap (10$ parts) and not so hard. They are actually not complicated.

It depends on your mechanical aptitude. I did my own door handle but I wouldn't suggest to a novice with no mechanical experience.

and of course not ALL displays get bubbles or yellow bands. ..but apparently there are so many cars with yellow bands now Tesla has stopped covering them on warranty.

We have a April ordered, June delivered s85. So not D.
Best car for me, compared to previous Audi A4 or Saab 93.
I would recommend Air Suspension as the car is low and this is often appreciated. Because the car remembers by GPS where you changed the suspension, you only have to set it once.
I was budget “restricted” by my better half, and I dropped the D for the air suspension.
Never regretted that decision: handling on snow is great even when going to ski resort, I’m not a fan of the whining (faint, but present) from the front Drive Unit in D cars, and the car dynamics of rear wheel drive is more to my liking. But good friend of mine with a D has the complete reverse opinion.
All personal choices and tastes indeed.
Congrats on any choice you make, it’s an amazing car and company.
Thanks very much for your reply : )
Lots of things in there for me to think about! Thanks again

I had a 2012 Model S that was out of it's 4 year general warranty.

First bit of advise. Never own a Tesla that is out of warranty. ALL model S's have screen issues. The early ones the screen gets a bubble around the edge that gets bigger and bigger because the liquid in the display leaks out. Now I read the new ones have an issue called "yellow banding" that effects even the new Model S's.

Earlier S's also have issues with the door handles going bad. The handles are very complicated and cost some bucks to replace.

Also the rear drive units on nearly all the older Model S's were defective and needed to be replaced.

Let me restate. Get a car that has a warranty.
Great point!
I've recently read about the screens not being automotive grade and there being issues with them, the earlier ones at least. And thanks for the heads up on the door handles!
Warranty wasn't something I was including on my list but it's definitely on there now. This will increase the purchase price but it seems like it may be worth it.
I have some sweet talking to do with my partner!!
Thanks again for the advice!

For the rest, this is a quite dark picture drawn above.
Yes, some have bubbles, some have yellow bands. Handles do also fail. Not all not always. Replacing can be expensive, but repairing is cheap (10$ parts) and not so hard. They are actually not complicated.
Drive units have indeed had problems in the early years, but they are replaced by the newest ones which are much more reliable. And even the 2012 models are still under the unlimited warranty of 8 years on both DU and battery. So a 2015 will be covered (again, only DU and battery) until 2023.
Points taken! I'm glad to have signed up to this site : )

It depends on your mechanical aptitude. I did my own door handle but I wouldn't suggest to a novice with no mechanical experience.

and of course not ALL displays get bubbles or yellow bands. ..but apparently there are so many cars with yellow bands now Tesla has stopped covering them on warranty.
I'll be checking the car over tomorrow and my check list is getting to be quite thorough I think!
I'll post some feedback of the look over once it's done ; )

Reactions: AustinP