Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2017 Demo Model X with 17k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys

I placed an order on 2017 Demo Model X with 17k miles , 100d , and fully loaded except FSD . I got it for $50,500 . Tesla website says that I would get a new car warranty . But I am getting different info after speaking with different Tesla sales advisors . So my question is Will i get 4 years , 50 k miles -17k miles basic warranty or 4 years 50k +17k miles warranty . I am suppose to pick up the car in a couple of days .This car hasnt been registered yet and I will be the first owner . I would also appreciate it if people who bought a Demo or inventory cars can share their experiences.

Thanks

Reactions: VikH
I bought a 2020 demo in June 2020. Car was made Feb 28 2020 and had 500 miles. It came with new car warranty starting on day I picked it up with 50k miles above demo miles. I figured because car was a demo, it would have any defects fixed. I mean Tesla wouldn't show off a car with misalligned panels and bad paint. I was correct and the car was and is perfect. Getting the car in June it had free unlimited super charging. I was allowed to inspect the car before signing documents and paying them with a personal check. Due to Covid I don't drive that much but I have had zero problems and have had no need to call Tesla for anything.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi Guys

I placed an order on 2017 Demo Model X with 17k miles , 100d , and fully loaded except FSD . I got it for $50,500 . Tesla website says that I would get a new car warranty . But I am getting different info after speaking with different Tesla sales advisors . So my question is Will i get 4 years , 50 k miles -17k miles basic warranty or 4 years 50k +17k miles warranty . I am suppose to pick up the car in a couple of days .This car hasnt been registered yet and I will be the first owner . I would also appreciate it if people who bought a Demo or inventory cars can share their experiences.

Thanks
You need to carefully check all mis-aligned panels - because that car might be repaired internally few times. Tesla will not disclose any information unless you figure thing out.
Also, the paint might have ton of swirls and hair line scratches. So probably you would need to details the car.
Check the tire: loaner drivers mostly don’t treat the car gently. So the tire might worn out already.

Hi Guys

Thanks
I won’t be able to answer your questions, but how’d you find this? EV-TSLA/CPO sites? Was it listed as a new car or used? I’m just curious as that’s a pretty awesome deal. I never saw any older cars being listed as new inventory when I was shopping.

I would expect that if they are selling it to you as new, you will get 50,000 miles and 4 years warranty from the day you take delivery. I bought a 2017 demo and that is how it has worked (although I bought it in 2017, so not exactly the same situation).

If they are selling it to you as used, you will have the remainder of the first 4 year warranty that should end some time in 2021, plus one more year (and some number of miles).

I think whether it is considered by Tesla to be new or used is the key. I would make sure to have the warranty in writing, so that it is absolutely clear.

Thanks guys for your responses , So i went back and forth with tesla yesterday and got something in writing . This is what they sent me :

New Vehicle Warranty

Start date will be day of delivery. End date will be exactly 4 years after delivery date.

End mileage will be 50,000 miles. It will not extend past this mileage.

Drive Unit & Battery Warranty

Start date will be day of delivery. End date will be exactly 8 years after delivery date.

End mileage will be 150,000 miles. It will not extend past this mileage.

How I got this deal ? :
Someone in one of the facebook group posted that he got a similar deal and then he shared the details with me . He shared teh contact info of a Tesla store in Orange County, CA . I called them and asked them to call me if they find a similar deal and they reached out to me when they found this car . Its 2017 Model , 17 k miles, 100 D with all the packages except FSD for $50,500 . the car wasnt registered so I am also getting the $1500 CA rebate . I am just hoping the car is in acceptable consition . theya re not allowing me to pay by check , they want me to pay by ACH before the delivery and that what i am worried about.

As to the demo experience, mine was great. No ill effects from others first putting some miles on it. Your situation with 17,000 miles, tho, never heard of a demo with that many miles. The biggest question I would have is whether the car has consistently been used for the past 3+ years. If they just found it tucked away, forgotten in a garage, that would concern me.

I have paid by ACH prior to my pick up of 2 Tesla’s. I suppose it took off the table my ability to easily back out of the transaction if there was a problem. But I did it and I think it is there standard practice to ask for that. I would be curious about people’s experiences with refusing to do it that way.

Start date will be day of delivery. End date will be exactly 8 years after delivery date.

If they are selling it based on its 2017 new car warranty, it should have unlimited miles for the drive unit and battery. That's also what it would have as a used 2017 MX.

Thanks guys for your responses , So i went back and forth with tesla yesterday and got something in writing . This is what they sent me :

New Vehicle Warranty

Start date will be day of delivery. End date will be exactly 4 years after delivery date.

How I got this deal ? :
Someone in one of the facebook group posted that he got a similar deal and then he shared the details with me . He shared teh contact info of a Tesla store in Orange County, CA . I called them and asked them to call me if they find a similar deal and they reached out to me when they found this car . Its 2017 Model , 17 k miles, 100 D with all the packages except FSD for $50,500 . the car wasnt registered so I am also getting the $1500 CA rebate . I am just hoping the car is in acceptable consition . theya re not allowing me to pay by check , they want me to pay by ACH before the delivery and that what i am worried abo

So I just got off a call with their delivery team , seems like they will be delivering the car to my house, I have the flexibility to inspect the car from outside and then electronically pay them through my acct using plaid and then accept the delivery after inspection. They are doing contactless deliveries at the moment. Please suggest what should i look for while inspecting the car from outside .

New Vehicle Warranty

How I got this deal ? :
Someone in one of the facebook group posted that he got a similar deal and then he shared the details with me . He shared teh contact info of a Tesla store in Orange County, CA . I called them and asked them to call me if they find a similar deal and they reached out to me when they found this car . Its 2017 Model , 17 k miles, 100 D with all the packages except FSD for $50,500 . the car wasnt registered so I am also getting the $1500 CA rebate . I am just hoping the car is in acceptable consition . theya re not allowing me to pay by check , they want me to pay by ACH before the delivery and that what i am worried about.
Man, could be an awesome snag! How many seats? I have no experience with contactless delivery, but you can't even test out the MCU or anything in the interior before accepting delivery?! The gonads on Tesla. I personally would give it a shot, but I'd rather use a loan than an ACH for risk purposes. Lots of variables there, but there's only so much you can check by peeping through windows. So weird...

I am in process of buying a Model S. it was advertised as a new car (ex-demo). No mention of year of manufacturing, details of when warranty runs out or registration number in the advert. The car has already done 48000 miles. The warranty details on the advert said 50000 miles or 4 years (no mention of end date etc like they advertise if used cars). For battery warranty it said 150000 (total miles) so clearly drew a distinction here about existing mileage. I checked with the online support they confirmed that the car will come with 50000 miles or 4 years warranty from point of delivery as it is being sold as a new car so will have full new car warranty just as I will be buying new. I asked to see the car or have images but was told can’t be done.

So I get the invoice yesterday and was about to pay. I had a few queries so whilst clarifying this I also thought to cross check about warranty as they never sent any documentation relating to it. To my surprise they now are saying it only comes with warranty of remaining mileage out of 50000. So comes with a full 1700 miles and 4 months warranty (till July 2021). And no I am not allowed to speak to their manager.

The advert didn't even mention the year of manufacturing so how am I supposed to know when does the warranty end. The chap I spoke to today said because the tab says 2017 (e.g. the tab of this page say "buying a 2017 demo model x) therefore I should have worked out that the warranty should expire this year in July (how he worked out month is also beyond me, may be Tesla only seems car in July)

They are saying that it won't even come with the 1 year/10000 miles used car warranty because it being sold as a new car...

Feeling lost and fuming. What a start to the weekend. Don't know what to do..

Rollerstone: you wouldn't have kept a screenshot of the advert by any chance? I think both your and mine circumstances are the same...though you may be happy to proceed in spite of loss of 17k miles on warranty.

• Informative
I am in process of buying a Model S. it was advertised as a new car (ex-demo). No mention of year of manufacturing, details of when warranty runs out or registration number in the advert. The car has already done 48000 miles. The warranty details on the advert said 50000 miles or 4 years (no mention of end date etc like they advertise if used cars). For battery warranty it said 150000 (total miles) so clearly drew a distinction here about existing mileage. I checked with the online support they confirmed that the car will come with 50000 miles or 4 years warranty from point of delivery as it is being sold as a new car so will have full new car warranty just as I will be buying new. I asked to see the car or have images but was told can’t be done.

So I get the invoice yesterday and was about to pay. I had a few queries so whilst clarifying this I also thought to cross check about warranty as they never sent any documentation relating to it. To my surprise they now are saying it only comes with warranty of remaining mileage out of 50000. So comes with a full 1700 miles and 4 months warranty (till July 2021). And no I am not allowed to speak to their manager.

The advert didn't even mention the year of manufacturing so how am I supposed to know when does the warranty end. The chap I spoke to today said because the tab says 2017 (e.g. the tab of this page say "buying a 2017 demo model x) therefore I should have worked out that the warranty should expire this year in July (how he worked out month is also beyond me, may be Tesla only seems car in July)

They are saying that it won't even come with the 1 year/10000 miles used car warranty because it being sold as a new car...

Feeling lost and fuming. What a start to the weekend. Don't know what to do..

Rollerstone: you wouldn't have kept a screenshot of the advert by any chance? I think both your and mine circumstances are the same...though you may be happy to proceed in spite of loss of 17k miles on warranty.
Run. You don't mention price, but this has all sorts of red flags. If you're looking for a 2017 or newer S, there are gobs of options.

absolutely, my gripe is that if I hadn't realised this by fluke, I would have paid the money today..I think this is clear mis-selling on their part. I think they are cherry picking aspects of warranty as they see fit and without appropriately informing the customer.. e.g. the 4yr/50k warranty will run out as it has been used and the count started from when it was manufactured, but the battery warranty will be limited to 150k (even though 2017 models were unlimited) because it's being sold as a new car!!! the used car 1 year warranty will not be provided because it a new car....they can't make up their mind that whether its a new car or old car :) filling a complaint and probably will report it for mis-selling as well

I have a written email confirmation from the tesla operations guys . It clearly says that if I pick up my car on March 14, 2021 then i would get a warranty up to March 14, 2025 but it will be only for 33k miles as the car already has around 17k miles . But today in one of the Facebook group i asked the same question and there a guy who posted that he bought a similar kind of deal 3 years back on a demo and the mileage was 47k and he got 50k miles on top of that. I have a screenshot of the actual listing and the email . Should I go ahead with the delivery which is on coming Sunday ?

Just wanted to give you guys an update. So i took delivery yesterday, there were a few cosmetic issues like the seal coming off from Falcon door,some cratches . I already booked an appointment for the same. I did end up getting 4 years warranty starting from March 16th but got only 50k miles total warranty. The car otherwise looks in decent condition. I am hoping Tesla fixes the seal issue.