Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2023 Model Y OEM Hitch from Ebay and getting installed by Tesla .Thoughts ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they agree to do it for $165, you are getting a deal. I would take the words from your local service center over random dudes on an Internet forum, though. If they say they will do it, I would take them at that.

My service center took three hours to install the OEM hitch.
How long did it take you to receive the tow hitch after ordering? I’m going on 3 1/2 months, with no contact from Tesla about the shipment.

How long did it take you to receive the tow hitch after ordering? I’m going on 3 1/2 months, with no contact from Tesla about the shipment.

I had mine installed within a week or so.

My understanding was that I was supposed to schedule a service appointment once paying for the hitch in the Tesla store for installation. I scheduled the appointment and received a message that they were sourcing a hitch to fulfill the order, and they would contact me if they couldn’t get one in time for my appointment. No such message arrived, and they installed it during my booked appointment.

Thanks for your detailed reply.Now the question is where do I buy a new OEM hitch because my service center just replied that they are not going to install an old OEM hitch on mine
If you have a 2023 Model Y hardware 4, there is not OEM tow hitch available, yet. Go in the Tesla app, select upgrades, then exterior and see if the tow hitch is available. The hardware 4 requires a different connector on the tow hitch , but the Tesla app will match your VIN with correct tow hitch when available.

If you have a 2023 Model Y hardware 4, there is not OEM tow hitch available, yet. Go in the Tesla app, select upgrades, then exterior and see if the tow hitch is available. The hardware 4 requires a different connector on the tow hitch , but the Tesla app will match your VIN with correct tow hitch when available.
Thank you for the insight!, Tesla could not install my Tesla OEM tow hitch (from ebay) coz i have HW4, they told me connector would not fit my car.

Finally completed the whole process, bought the replacement left side BCM, got it installed and programmed now my lights work. This part of the journey is done
I just picked up the replacement part. Going to install it soon. Reading the manual, it requires toolbox access. Did you need to do this part of the install after you replaced the bcm?

1. In Toolbox, click the Actions tab, and then type "PROC_VCLEFT" in the search field.
  2. Click PROC_VCLEFT_X-POST-REPLACEMENT-PROCEDURE, and then click Run and allow the routine to complete.

Completed the VC Left body control module replacement and now have the tow lights working. I had to recalibrate my windows and steering column and reset VC Left through the service menu. Verified that there were no vehicle errors. One issue I did notice is that my seats memory were not being restored.

I tried calibrating it through the service menu but was hit with a calibration error. Ultimately, it fixed itself by switching profiles and restoring it that way.

The calibration error is still there but I can successfully restore my seats memory. Didn’t end up using toolbox to run those commands after all. We’ll see if any issues come up in the future.

Completed the VC Left body control module replacement and now have the tow lights working. I had to recalibrate my windows and steering column and reset VC Left through the service menu. Verified that there were no vehicle errors. One issue I did notice is that my seats memory were not being restored.

I tried calibrating it through the service menu but was hit with a calibration error. Ultimately, it fixed itself by switching profiles and restoring it that way.

The calibration error is still there but I can successfully restore my seats memory. Didn’t end up using toolbox to run those commands after all. We’ll see if any issues come up in the future.
if you now enable Trailer Mode manually without trailer attached, do you see Red Trailer icon on the screen.

Last edited:
I just completed the DIY, it is not an easy job and based on my experience it’s better to buy the whole thing from Tesla and you let Tesla install it. Here are the reasons/my experience:

1. you have to find the hitch that's not damaged, first one I bought off eBay was bent so I had to get refund after involving eBay. seller tried to claim that I may have dropped the hitch and bent it. if you are buying one, tell the seller to put it on flat surface and show pic making sure both flat parts at the end where the 3 bolts go sit flush on the flat surface.
  2. Once you have the hitch, if it came with the harness then skip this step or else you have to built one since Tesla doesn't sell the harness by itself. to build one, you can buy the 7 pin connector off Amazon that comes with the wire for the end that goes into the back of the plug on the hitch, for the other end you have the buy the connector, the small pins 1.5mm, the large pins 2.8mm and the seals, crimp the wires to the pins and know which pin to put where in the connector
  3. Now you have your hitch ready with the harness, to install you can rely on YouTube Videos and the Service Manual available on service.tesla.com to:
    1. Remove rear bumper (you have to remove some things in the trunk, remote the tail lights, remove the trim around the rear wheels, open some 8 and 10mm bolts and clips and remove the bumper
    2. Remove the Crash Bar thing that's in place where the hitch will go
    3. place the hitch and tighten the 6 nuts (3 on each end) with 46.1 lb ft torque
    4. Remove the white cap off the connector that's already there on the left side of the bumper area and plug the harness in it (steps and how to route the wire are available on service.tesla.com that show the hitch install
    5. Once that is done then put things together
    6. buy Toolbox subscription to enable Trailer Mode (this will give you the option on the display to turn on and off trailer mode
    7. if you turn on trailer mode and you see blue trailer icon on the display then most likely you don't have the Left Body Control Module that's mounted under the dash hear the driver's left knee on the pillar. That icon should be red if trailer is not connected when you turn trailer mode on. you can verify that by enable 4 way flashers and use multimeter on the trailer pins to see if you get voltage on the LEFT and RIGHT Stop/Turn signs pins. in my case of 2023 MY built in Fremont, I didn't have the Controller with the pins that provide power to hitch harness my part number was: 1497847-39-D, I needed 1497847-02-D. there are 3-4 pins on the left side of the top most horizontal connector on that module that were missing (in the Body 1 Connector)
    8. Now you have the module installed and should see voltage at the hitch.
I didn't have to deal with any calibration issues because I got Tesla to replace the module for me.

if you want to learn or you get the hitch for free then you can do all that yourself (I have done it). but if you are trying to save money, it's not possible (when you buy the hitch, subscription to enable trailer mode, module and your time) and while doing all that you have to make sure you don't break or scratch things along the way, it is just not worth it.

also be aware that if you have Hardware 4 in your Y then that requires a newer type of hitch the ones that work on HW3 is not compatible.

Reactions: 17sd and kevwerks
I didn’t end up enabling tow mode through Toolbox so I don’t have that option in the menu.
I did that by using 1hr subscription from Tesla UK and connecting the MY to Macusing Ethernet cable and chrome browser. Do the laptop setup before buying subscription. Just need 5 mins in Toolbox to enable trailer mode and you can have the icon and the option to manually enable/disable it.

Reactions: 17sd
I just completed the DIY, it is not an easy job and based on my experience it’s better to buy the whole thing from Tesla and you let Tesla install it. Here are the reasons/my experience:

1. you have to find the hitch that's not damaged, first one I bought off eBay was bent so I had to get refund after involving eBay. seller tried to claim that I may have dropped the hitch and bent it. if you are buying one, tell the seller to put it on flat surface and show pic making sure both flat parts at the end where the 3 bolts go sit flush on the flat surface.
  2. Once you have the hitch, if it came with the harness then skip this step or else you have to built one since Tesla doesn't sell the harness by itself. to build one, you can buy the 7 pin connector off Amazon that comes with the wire for the end that goes into the back of the plug on the hitch, for the other end you have the buy the connector, the small pins 1.5mm, the large pins 2.8mm and the seals, crimp the wires to the pins and know which pin to put where in the connector
  3. Now you have your hitch ready with the harness, to install you can rely on YouTube Videos and the Service Manual available on service.tesla.com to:
    1. Remove rear bumper (you have to remove some things in the trunk, remote the tail lights, remove the trim around the rear wheels, open some 8 and 10mm bolts and clips and remove the bumper
    2. Remove the Crash Bar thing that's in place where the hitch will go
    3. place the hitch and tighten the 6 nuts (3 on each end) with 46.1 lb ft torque
    4. Remove the white cap off the connector that's already there on the left side of the bumper area and plug the harness in it (steps and how to route the wire are available on service.tesla.com that show the hitch install
    5. Once that is done then put things together
    6. buy Toolbox subscription to enable Trailer Mode (this will give you the option on the display to turn on and off trailer mode
    7. if you turn on trailer mode and you see blue trailer icon on the display then most likely you don't have the Left Body Control Module that's mounted under the dash hear the driver's left knee on the pillar. That icon should be red if trailer is not connected when you turn trailer mode on. you can verify that by enable 4 way flashers and use multimeter on the trailer pins to see if you get voltage on the LEFT and RIGHT Stop/Turn signs pins. in my case of 2023 MY built in Fremont, I didn't have the Controller with the pins that provide power to hitch harness my part number was: 1497847-39-D, I needed 1497847-02-D. there are 3-4 pins on the left side of the top most horizontal connector on that module that were missing (in the Body 1 Connector)
    8. Now you have the module installed and should see voltage at the hitch.
I didn't have to deal with any calibration issues because I got Tesla to replace the module for me.

if you want to learn or you get the hitch for free then you can do all that yourself (I have done it). but if you are trying to save money, it's not possible (when you buy the hitch, subscription to enable trailer mode, module and your time) and while doing all that you have to make sure you don't break or scratch things along the way, it is just not worth it.

also be aware that if you have Hardware 4 in your Y then that requires a newer type of hitch the ones that work on HW3 is not compatible.
Thank you sir!
This is the best and clearest instructions on this topic.