Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a car out of you area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we're going to skip it and rely on the factory warranty that came with the vehicle. I'm part of a pretty large EV group here in SoCal (I haven't been able to figure out my signature yet) but I currently have a highly modified Leaf and Rav4EV.

Almost all the owners in our group have progressed from the Leaf to the S or the Leaf to the Rav to the S LOLOL.

I've seen the issues in the early MS's with drive units (like my Rav has, identical drivetrain).. and door handle issues, etc. and group members that have gotten 2014 and later models with AP1, etc..and have NO issues.

I think most of the bugs have been worked out and I'm pretty good at modifying and doing whatever it takes. I've pulled out my own ICE motors and transmissions and rebuilt so I'm pretty confident these latest vehicles are solid and the extra $4k will be well saved.

We're going to skip as both our EV's have been solid.

I think we're going to skip it and rely on the factory warranty that came with the vehicle. I'm part of a pretty large EV group here in SoCal (I haven't been able to figure out my signature yet) but I currently have a highly modified Leaf and Rav4EV.

Almost all the owners in our group have progressed from the Leaf to the S or the Leaf to the Rav to the S LOLOL.

I've seen the issues in the early MS's with drive units (like my Rav has, identical drivetrain).. and door handle issues, etc. and group members that have gotten 2014 and later models with AP1, etc..and have NO issues.

I think most of the bugs have been worked out and I'm pretty good at modifying and doing whatever it takes. I've pulled out my own ICE motors and transmissions and rebuilt so I'm pretty confident these latest vehicles are solid and the extra $4k will be well saved.

We're going to skip as both our EV's have been solid.
Thanks for your input. I think we may skip as well. Parents have a 2014 RAV4 EV and the later generation drivetrains seem to have the gremlins worked out. The display was a concern for me but I'm seeing now that full replacements are much less than previously quoted. The door handle issue also is resolved. I think the Achilles heals have all been resolved and with the 8 year drivetrain warranty in place the risk is minimalized after the original warranty expires. $4000 plus $200 deductible fixes a lot of squeaks and rattles I'm thinking.

Just got the car last night.. in the pouring RAIN!! :eek:

Driver was totally cool, said he hit some serious weather coming from SD down through Nebraska and Kansas! -5* and blew an oil line. Gloves wouldn't keep his hands warm, etc.. This wasn't the best time to be driving but they kept their deadline pretty close! Kudos to them. The seller would send me tracking with the app!

All in all, car arrived perfectly, I set up everything myself and put the bids out there. Was a tad worried because of the weather but alot better then flying and driving 1700+ miles back in 3 days rushed in crap rain/snow.

My personal advice.. if you have the time drive (and don't mind the extra miles on the vehicle) DO IT! Life's an adventure!

If you'll be rushed and stressed... get it shipped! :cool:

Attachments

• 20161221_220841.jpg
    20161221_220841.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 42
Just got the car last night.. in the pouring RAIN!! :eek:

Driver was totally cool, said he hit some serious weather coming from SD down through Nebraska and Kansas! -5* and blew an oil line. Gloves wouldn't keep his hands warm, etc.. This wasn't the best time to be driving but they kept their deadline pretty close! Kudos to them. The seller would send me tracking with the app!

All in all, car arrived perfectly, I set up everything myself and put the bids out there. Was a tad worried because of the weather but alot better then flying and driving 1700+ miles back in 3 days rushed in crap rain/snow.

My personal advice.. if you have the time drive (and don't mind the extra miles on the vehicle) DO IT! Life's an adventure!

If you'll be rushed and stressed... get it shipped! :cool:
Congrats! The weather was a factor for me too but nothing like what you would have experienced. I flew up to Oregon Sunday AM to pick it up just as the ice storm was starting to thaw, beautiful car, great seller but cars littered all over the roads still. Took my time and made the drive South staying one night at a hotel. Temp finally went over 30 well into the CA border so I relaxed a bit and routed through the Fremont factory. I was able to weasel in on a factory tour for the new owners, super cool. All in, it took me 2 full days of driving and 6 supercharging spots and about $300 in travel costs (no gas!!!). Great little adventure and the whole family is loving the car.