Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a CPO....advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a 2014 S85 with 50k mikes six months and 12k miles ago. One of my best decisions (I also have an Model III reservation, couldn't wait). Look at the 85 after they clean it, but get the 85. I'm in Michigan, and in the cold. Sometimes you will need the extra range. Drove 45 miles commute each way today, 300 kw/mi downwind, 470 kw/mi into the 30 mph wind at 20 degrees F.

I have the warranty, and Tesla has been great about service, even in Michigan. Seats are cheaper for them, see if they will maybe split the costs of a replacement drivers seat to close the deal.

Hey Guys

I was about to push the button on the white one...just got thrown a curve ball.

They just got a 2013 black, fairly base 85 with leather and tech only...no roof....it only has 8000 km (5000 miles)...its $3k more.

Which is the better move here.

The white 2014 85 well equipped w 66000 km, or the 2013 black base with 8000 km.

Thoughts? White is the colour pref.

Went and drove the 2013. It's definitely a base car. No roof. No subzero. No piano trim in console. No premium audio...however the car is brand new. 7400 km. Not a mark on it anywhere

The white 2014 is very well optioned however is definitely used. I'm seeing it in trade in class condition so it's pretty banged up. Seats a bit worn. Marks on the door trim and it's filthy. The exterior paint is pretty marked up

The CPO manager is assuring me that everything would come out like new in the cpo prep

Went and drove the 2013. It's definitely a base car. No roof. No subzero. No piano trim in console. No premium audio...however the car is brand new. 7400 km. Not a mark on it anywhere

The white 2014 is very well optioned however is definitely used. I'm seeing it in trade in class condition so it's pretty banged up. Seats a bit worn. Marks on the door trim and it's filthy. The exterior paint is pretty marked up

The CPO manager is assuring me that everything would come out like new in the cpo prep
Get the manager's statement in writing and hold them to it. Otherwise go for the newest you can get.

Sorry. Just to clarify...Tomas's, the 2014 is the newer car...are you suggesting the low mileage?
no, I'm suggesting get the 2014 with higher mileage, but hold them onto the promise that it will be refurbished. I believe buying a car with double the SN will get you a better unit overall with many production upgrades incorporated.

Also get the bigger battery pack - keep in mind that longevity of the battery depends (among other factors) on how many cycles it went through which means that 200miles battery needs 500 cycles to drive 100000 miles while the 250 miles battery needs only 400 cycles to drive that distance.

All things considered the 2014 well equipped with bigger battery and 38k miles on it is a non brainer to me. Again - hold the manager to his promise about it being fully refurbished and go for it.

Also sorry for the ignorance. What is SN?
SN = serial number. Keep in mind that in 2013 Tesla was still in early stages of making cars, they were making very few of them then. So your 2013 model might have serial number in high teens of thousands (e.g. 17xxx) while 2014 might go as high as 45000 (since you've mentioned the 2014 is pre autopilot). That is huge difference experience wise.

Also Tesla is known for rolling updates, many of them unpublicized, they just start incorporating them as soon as they are ready. Just for that reason alone I'd go with the highest serial number possible.

Hey Guys. just for clarification....Im no longer considering the 60 kw, based on the info everyone has given me. That 60 was a 2013 with similar mileage and was in similar condition to the 2014 white 85 and there was an $4k price difference.

My debate now is between a

- 2014 85 Kw car, white, equipped with tech package, leather, panoramic, cold weather package, piano black console,, and has 66,000 km. The car was put on the road in December of 2014....however it's VERY dirty in and out, and has some wear on the drivers seat, and scuffs on the paint, and inside the door panels. The CPO manager has given me numerous assurances that everything will look like new in the CPO prep, they are willing to bring in a leather restoration pro, and are willing to put it into writing. Price is $62,000 Canadian

- The other option is a 2013 black 85 kw car, with tech package and leather only. This car has only 8000 km on it. I went and drove it today, and this one is in absolutely brand new condition. It feels like a new car when in it. This car also has a CarProof accident claim on the title for a scuffed mirror. The other interesting part about this, coincidentally, I know the previous owner of this car as it was owned by one of my friends fathers and he traded it yesterday for a P90..and he has told me that he absolutely took immaculate care of it, even with the limited driving he did...and that it sat in his heated garage for 3 years. This one is $65300

Again, white is the colour preference. Both cars are well priced. Struggling with this decision....I definitely like the 2014 car, and the newer year is a big leg up, but the low mileage and condition of the '13 is very enticing...the mileage and condition are very different....I need to make a decision before they're both gone.

Last edited:
however it's VERY dirty in and out, and has some wear on the drivers seat, and scuffs on the paint, and inside the door panels. The CPO manager has given me numerous as

I think you need to get over this. The vast majority of CPO purchasers on these forums have reported getting cars that are in "like new" condition. That's part of what you're paying for with a CPO from Tesla. I'd encourage you to read some of the other CPO threads. Most people (myself included) buy them sight unseen.