Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a M X90D - Some General Questions and Things to Look Out for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a Tesla Model X and looking into an ad placed for a 2017 MX 90D (built 02/17). The said vehicle has ~135k KMs (85k miles) on it. The car owner claims that it still charges to 380 KM (it isn't specified in the ad whether this range is at 100% SoC or less). The ad also states that the car has free supercharging for life.

The car also received an MCU upgrade which says the Infotainment system upgraded from Tegra MCU with Autopilot 2.0 to Intel MCU and Autopilot 3.0 with sim extender).

I have a few technical questions regarding this model X so I can make up my mind:

1. Do these Feb-2017 built 90kWh battery packs suffer from any known Tesla problems (batterygate, chargegate etc.?) which used to happen in earlier build versions?
2. Since the car has free supercharging for life, my assumption is that the car would have been substantially supercharged throughout it's life and since it has 85k miles (135k KM) on it, that's a lot of supercharged miles. Should this be a worry? How can I get an idea about the current health of the battery pack so it can help me make an informed decision?
3. Will the free supercharging for life transfer to the new owner?
4. How much should I expect the car to achieve in terms of peak charging rate? Would this car also be 'capped' to lower DC/super charging speeds?
5. How have the electric motors on these models been performing generally? Any known issues on the drive units which I should be aware of? I have asked the owner to tell me when the drive unit and the HV battery expire but I am anticipating it would be not far away (the car is already 6 years old).
6. Does having AP 3.0 MCU means I can optionally upgrade to FSD when it eventually becomes available in Australia? Also, does the upgraded MCU enables Sentry mode?
7. Are there any build quality issues which are associated for these 2017 models e.g. automatic door handle failing (like in MS 2014-15s) or any issues with the falcon wing doors?
8. How is the suspension on this car? I have heard that the suspension/drive for pre-Raven Model X's had certain characteristics for the suspension. Should I be concerned in any way or is it okay from manufacturing point of view?

These are a few questions which come to my mind. Just wanted to get the community opinion on what more should I be looking out for other things as well from a car manufacturing/features point of view?

Attachments

• MX-for-purchase.jpg
    MX-for-purchase.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 129
  • MX-MCU-Upgrade.jpg
    MX-MCU-Upgrade.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the insights on the battery. 235 miles for a MX 90D is well within the normal degredation range.

I am a little confused about the AP2.5 and AP3 HW which came along with MCU upgrade. The car is enhanced autopilot enabled but does this mean it is FSD capable?
Yes, your FSD computer upgrade (AP HW3) means you can get FSD. I also had the MCU1->MCU2 and FSD (above glovebox) upgrade and am now in FSD beta.
More hardware info here: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

• Informative
Reactions: Genie