Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a model 3 in 2022. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the Long Range is a better car (I have one😉) but dollar for dollar (and euro for euro) the standard Model 3 is excellent value👍 The government subsidy is greater and the new battery should be good and the car is a technological tour de force with outstanding performance..........but if you can push the budget get a Long Range (with white interior 😀)
Yeah I was aiming at the long range but it meant $6K more plus a higher sales tax rate as it would be > 50K car. For my daily use a SR would really be more than enough and with the new battery I heard you can charge daily to 100% with no problem so actually getting more range. The AWD option is neat but EVs generally handle winter driving better given the lower center of gravity (battery is down there) and AWD does not negate the need for winter tires which are a must for driving in snow. So, I guess all in all, the RW SR model 3 for me made more sense financially and practically !

Yeah I was aiming at the long range but it meant $6K more plus a higher sales tax rate as it would be > 50K car. For my daily use a SR would really be more than enough and with the new battery I heard you can charge daily to 100% with no problem so actually getting more range. The AWD option is neat but EVs generally handle winter driving better given the lower center of gravity (battery is down there) and AWD does not negate the need for winter tires which are a must for driving in snow. So, I guess all in all, the RW SR model 3 for me made more sense financially and practically !
Even when I was at the Tesla sales showroom they were pushing me to get the standard M3....and they and you are correct, it’s the sensible choice....and it’s a great car that you will really enjoy 👍😀

Reactions: ahmedshawky82
Yup for sure the early S as a whole was beta and less reliable than a Toyota. Not just the EV drivetrain. Though the complicated pop-out door handles are part of its EV efficiency story...I think it's fair to label them an EV problem. :)
Plenty of non-Tesla EVs have "ordinary" door handles. There are also less complicated and more reliable ways of designing flush door handles if the last bit of aerodynamic improvement is desired (e.g. Model 3/Y, though the tradeoff there can be ease-of-use by those with hand mobility issues compared to the common grab-handle type).

Any Model 3 is a good choice. The way things are going, in a year your car may be worth the same or more than purchase price.
My son just had the same thoughts with placing his order. My 18 M3P currently sees 286miles at 100%, and has been steading at that for some time now. So a current SR at 256miles at 100% is not far off.
I would suggest not charging to 100% on regular basis, although there is suppose to be some safe guards in place now for doing that. I keep my car in the 50-70% range for daily use and will do 100% before a trip. That's the only time I go to 100%.

Reactions: ahmedshawky82
Any Model 3 is a good choice. The way things are going, in a year your car may be worth the same or more than purchase price.
My son just had the same thoughts with placing his order. My 18 M3P currently sees 286miles at 100%, and has been steading at that for some time now. So a current SR at 256miles at 100% is not far off.
I would suggest not charging to 100% on regular basis, although there is suppose to be some safe guards in place now for doing that. I keep my car in the 50-70% range for daily use and will do 100% before a trip. That's the only time I go to 100%.
Yeah I was going to do the same thing especially for my non demanding daily use. They do recommend charging the new battery to 100% at least once a week though so I can live with that.

I had an august 2021 SR+ and now a 22’ LR with ABoost. I can safety say these 2 cars drive totally different.

For the 4k price difference:

1. The AWD in the LR is fantastic during winter driving. The SR+ was good still but it’s rwd. The handling on the LR is better.

2. The power and throttle response on the LR/ABoost is impressive. We’re now talking 0-60 in 3.5 sec vs 5.8 in the SR+ with LFP battery. It’s just a totally diff feel and approaching Model S type power. LFP fyi is not necessarily better in cold climates. Allows charging to 100% but total range went down and 0-60 from 5.4 now to 5.8 from the non LFP. Most of what makes a Tesla feel like a tesla is that amazing torque and EV power.
Even the non ABoost at 4.2 sec is totally different to 5.8.

3. The range is…well that one is obvious. Note in winters range will fall avg 30-35%…40+ on reslly cold days. Starting at 360miles on an LR makes this decline somewhat more irreverent.

4. The stock oem stereo system in the LR/P is miles above the SR+. 14 speakers with a sub and 2 amps vs 8 and 1 amp. The LR M3 speaker system has been reviewed many times and found to be one of the best sound systems in a car overall. The bass/mid/treble is fantastic. It’s a world apart again.

5. Heated steering wheel…incl in LR. Should be coming to SR+ but unsure.

6. Heated rear seats…incl.($300 option on the Sr+)

7. Interior ambient lighting …not on SR+

8. Front fog lights…LR/P only.

For 4k? $3700 if you incl rear seats on the SR+) Obv choice is LR now.

No disrespect to current SR+ owners!! Your car is still awesome by any means.
I’ve heard otherwise on the handling. People say the SR+ handles better because it is significantly lighter than the LR.

SR+ handles better because it is significantly lighter than the LR
Do you know if the LFP SR+ is that much lighter than the LR?
My initial look showed the LFP SR+ is listed as 1,745kg whereas the LR is 1,836kg.
Tesla's website shows them even closer (172lbs difference).

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Hi,

I placed an order for a model 3 January 2022, however I can’t shake the bitterness that just one year ago that same car was $8000 less. Is there a way to justify this apparently bad bargain to myself? And is there corresponding value to that increase?

Thanks.
I hope you spent lots of time looking at other options as well; Kia EV 6, Polestar 2, VW, to name a few, they also qualify for the $7500 tax credit.. Lots of options out there now; But it’s up to you to decide what’s best for your lifestyle and contentment.

Reactions: CheapBastid
Do you know if the LFP SR+ is that much lighter than the LR?
From what I can see the LFP SR+ is listed as 1,745kg whereas the LR is 1,836kg.
I’m not 100% sure. Watching this video, a SR+ driver states that the LR is about 400 pounds heavier than the SR+. The ones prior to 2022RWD, I.e. SR,SR+ are quicker than the 2022’s(By quite a bit to be honest). The video about the handling starts around 3:07.

I had an Aug 2021 sr+ and now as of Jan 2022 an LR…and can say 100% the LR handles better. More sure footed as well.
Not sure why maybe better weight distribution with dual..🤷🏽‍♂️

Not saying the SR didn’t handle nicely to begin with. Non lfp by the way so 5.5 sec.

• Helpful
Reactions: CheapBastid
From the poster of the video in the comments:
View attachment 769081It appears the difference has reduced since the SR+ shifted to the heavier LFP battery pack (making it not only heavier, but even slower).
I agree. I wouldn’t want the 5.8 second RWD. I don’t care about the extra range. The price gap has shrunk quite a bit. When I picked up my 2020 SR+ in August of 2020, there was a 10k difference from the SR+ and the LR. I didn’t need the range and still don’t. Maybe if the prices were closer back then maybe but I did aright. A few months later, I was fortunate enough to pick up at SRMY at its lowest point 39,990(Before taxes and 1k for a shipping).

As for future RWD owners who care about the 0-60 times and don’t care about the range, you probably want to get a used SR+.

As this video shows that the SR+ is much faster than the RWD. Video starts around 1:12.

My understanding is the more time the LFP battery spends at 100%, the better. In other words you should always charge an LFP car to 100% overnight at home.

(Unless logistics don't allow for it occasionally, then don't sweat it of course.)

The old lighter NCA RWD cars should have a fundamental handling advantage over the dual motor cars. Whether the stock suspension capitalized on that is another story, but if you're super concerned about handling on these cars, you're probably not staying with the stock suspension anyways, it has pretty poor damping and body control when pushed hard (at least 2021 LR and P).

LFP RWD cars are almost as heavy as dual motor cars. Their weight distribution is probably still slightly more rearward than AWD cars, but I doubt it's enough to make much/any real difference. LFP has real advantages over NCA for daily driving but it's strictly worse for handling and performance. Everything's a tradeoff!

Compare to the cost increase of gas cars in the same timeframe.

Same goes for gas prices. $4+ per gallon versus under $2.50 during the preceding era in our history is a big difference.

I’d rather give Uncle Elon $8k more than give some slimebag dealership $8k more.

If you are in the USA, wrote your congressman or congressmanwoman, and pressure them to resume the proposed build back Brandon plan, and get your $8k back via tax credit.

Or wait longer and get left behind while prices get even more silly. It’s your call. Smart money loves debt during inflation.

Reactions: ElectricIAC