TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buying a Model 3 on Friday

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tvguy710, Jul 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

Good afternoon all,

I am going to be putting my $2,500 deposit down on a model 3 on Friday. Looking forward to delivery in about a month.

I am doing this in person as I am going to be getting the RWD with the Long Range Battery. (not offered online anymore)

I am going to be driving to work now instead of mass transit so going to be putting on about 25K miles a year. Any tips on this would be great. I am also going to be able to charge my model 3 at the parking garage where my car will be kept.

Looking forward to reading a lot on this forum and figuring the ins and outs of my model 3!

Andrew

• Like x 2
  2. Runebane

Runebane Member

Don't skimp on your home charging station. Get the 60amp circuit and have the outlet placed so that it will be convenient for you to plug in at night. So not say it's ok if I have to do x,y, or z every night to plug in, it WILL get old very fast.

• Like x 2
  3. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

Sounds good, yes was planning on that. Having the electrician come on Monday. Going to be driving 130 miles a day. Should I be charging it a little every day or a lot every 2 days?

• Like x 1
  4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I would plug in whenever you can and not really overthink it ;)

• Like x 3
  5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

It's best to plug it in every day.

Congrats on the car! Sounds like it will be perfect for your needs. You are going to save a ton of money on gas and oil changes.

6. Runebane

Runebane Member

I drive a similar range. I charge daily to 90%, that covers me those rare times I forget to plug in overnight.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that the LR RWD is not only off menu, but no longer available at this time. They stopped it a few weeks ago, so good luck.

At 130 miles per day, just charge daily, sure you could skip a day, but that's starting to take out a comfort margin for you, it's like driving on empty on the way home. Life happens, so have the ability to be a little flexible.

Especially for a commute vehicle, the SR RWD car, especially with FSD could be an awesome solution for you. If your drive isn't a 70 mph, you still could have the possibility of doing two days on a single charge. It's easy to go above the rated range, it just means slowing down. (Although in winter, with about 30% degradation, you'll only get a single trip)

• Like x 1
  8. SoCalDriver

SoCalDriver Member

I got my LR RWD in April. I drive almost the same number of miles, but cannot charge at work. I’ve never used a supercharger, and I charge to 85% each night. I have forgotten to plug the car in a couple times, but there’s plenty of range still for the next day. I have never gone below 30% charge on the car.

I was waiting for my SR for a couple of weeks when I heard they have some LR in stock. I called and they had one exactly like I wanted in stock locally. I was able to take delivery the next day. Because the car was in stock, I got a free upgrade, an additional $1500 off (that was a pleasant surprise when I took delivery!)

Congrats! It’s the best car, the most fun car I’ve ever had. I’ve not regretted the purchase for even a second. And I have not had a single issue with my car. The fit and finish are flawless, and everything works great. I have 3600 miles on my car. Wishing you the same great experience!

• Like x 3
  9. alexGS

alexGS Member

#9 alexGS, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Good morning :)
    Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge - good move with the AWD Long range model not available to us overseas (seems the best-value choice). Hope it’s still available.

I agree with the others, best to just top it up every day, I think I’d set the charge limit to 80%.

Don’t forget to use a referral code when ordering, so that you and the referrer get 1000 miles free supercharging :) I’d post my code, but I’m not sure whether the forum allows it.

-Alex

• Love x 1
  10. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

Thanks yeah the numbers make too much sense for me not to to get it!

11. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

Yes the LR RWD is off menu, I was there last Friday and they did CONFIRM I can purchase the LR RWD no problem. Strange they told me something different. Only thing I knew was you couldn't order on a computer it had to be in the store or over the phone.

12. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

That's awesome, I was actually a little nervous about the number of miles I was going to put on in a year, close to 25K, but glad to hear a lot of positive things from people who drive similar. Also glad to hear people are charing it every day.

That's awesome about your savings. BTW looks like we might have the same car, white, with upgraded rims, that's what I plan on ordering!

• Like x 1
  13. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

14. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

How much for that off menu model?

15. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

Starts at $45,900, which is 4k less than the AWD. You also get the premium interior and 325miles per charge.

• Like x 1
  16. jebinc

Thanks. What’s the zero to 60 rating?

17. tvguy710

tvguy710 Member

Funny you asked, I did the same. One guy said 5sec and the other guy said definitely less than 5sec. So I will ask again on Friday, but seems no slower than 5sec.

18. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Seems like AWD would be a requirement for New England winters. Why are you skipping it?

• Like x 1
  19. jebinc

Very good question.