Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Model 3 on Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon all,

I am going to be putting my $2,500 deposit down on a model 3 on Friday. Looking forward to delivery in about a month.

I am doing this in person as I am going to be getting the RWD with the Long Range Battery. (not offered online anymore)

I am going to be driving to work now instead of mass transit so going to be putting on about 25K miles a year. Any tips on this would be great. I am also going to be able to charge my model 3 at the parking garage where my car will be kept.

Looking forward to reading a lot on this forum and figuring the ins and outs of my model 3!

Andrew

Don't skimp on your home charging station. Get the 60amp circuit and have the outlet placed so that it will be convenient for you to plug in at night. So not say it's ok if I have to do x,y, or z every night to plug in, it WILL get old very fast.

Sounds good, yes was planning on that. Having the electrician come on Monday. Going to be driving 130 miles a day. Should I be charging it a little every day or a lot every 2 days?

Reactions: puckpurnell
Sounds good, yes was planning on that. Having the electrician come on Monday. Going to be driving 130 miles a day. Should I be charging it a little every day or a lot every 2 days?
It's best to plug it in every day.

Congrats on the car! Sounds like it will be perfect for your needs. You are going to save a ton of money on gas and oil changes.

It's my understanding that the LR RWD is not only off menu, but no longer available at this time. They stopped it a few weeks ago, so good luck.

At 130 miles per day, just charge daily, sure you could skip a day, but that's starting to take out a comfort margin for you, it's like driving on empty on the way home. Life happens, so have the ability to be a little flexible.

Especially for a commute vehicle, the SR RWD car, especially with FSD could be an awesome solution for you. If your drive isn't a 70 mph, you still could have the possibility of doing two days on a single charge. It's easy to go above the rated range, it just means slowing down. (Although in winter, with about 30% degradation, you'll only get a single trip)

Reactions: alexGS
I got my LR RWD in April. I drive almost the same number of miles, but cannot charge at work. I’ve never used a supercharger, and I charge to 85% each night. I have forgotten to plug the car in a couple times, but there’s plenty of range still for the next day. I have never gone below 30% charge on the car.

I was waiting for my SR for a couple of weeks when I heard they have some LR in stock. I called and they had one exactly like I wanted in stock locally. I was able to take delivery the next day. Because the car was in stock, I got a free upgrade, an additional $1500 off (that was a pleasant surprise when I took delivery!)

Congrats! It’s the best car, the most fun car I’ve ever had. I’ve not regretted the purchase for even a second. And I have not had a single issue with my car. The fit and finish are flawless, and everything works great. I have 3600 miles on my car. Wishing you the same great experience!

Good afternoon all,

I am going to be putting my $2,500 deposit down on a model 3 on Friday. Looking forward to delivery in about a month.

I am doing this in person as I am going to be getting the RWD with the Long Range Battery. (not offered online anymore)

Good morning :)
Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge - good move with the AWD Long range model not available to us overseas (seems the best-value choice). Hope it’s still available.

I agree with the others, best to just top it up every day, I think I’d set the charge limit to 80%.

Don’t forget to use a referral code when ordering, so that you and the referrer get 1000 miles free supercharging :) I’d post my code, but I’m not sure whether the forum allows it.

-Alex

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
It's my understanding that the LR RWD is not only off menu, but no longer available at this time. They stopped it a few weeks ago, so good luck.

At 130 miles per day, just charge daily, sure you could skip a day, but that's starting to take out a comfort margin for you, it's like driving on empty on the way home. Life happens, so have the ability to be a little flexible.

Especially for a commute vehicle, the SR RWD car, especially with FSD could be an awesome solution for you. If your drive isn't a 70 mph, you still could have the possibility of doing two days on a single charge. It's easy to go above the rated range, it just means slowing down. (Although in winter, with about 30% degradation, you'll only get a single trip)

Yes the LR RWD is off menu, I was there last Friday and they did CONFIRM I can purchase the LR RWD no problem. Strange they told me something different. Only thing I knew was you couldn't order on a computer it had to be in the store or over the phone.

I got my LR RWD in April. I drive almost the same number of miles, but cannot charge at work. I’ve never used a supercharger, and I charge to 85% each night. I have forgotten to plug the car in a couple times, but there’s plenty of range still for the next day. I have never gone below 30% charge on the car.

I was waiting for my SR for a couple of weeks when I heard they have some LR in stock. I called and they had one exactly like I wanted in stock locally. I was able to take delivery the next day. Because the car was in stock, I got a free upgrade, an additional $1500 off (that was a pleasant surprise when I took delivery!)

Congrats! It’s the best car, the most fun car I’ve ever had. I’ve not regretted the purchase for even a second. And I have not had a single issue with my car. The fit and finish are flawless, and everything works great. I have 3600 miles on my car. Wishing you the same great experience!

That's awesome, I was actually a little nervous about the number of miles I was going to put on in a year, close to 25K, but glad to hear a lot of positive things from people who drive similar. Also glad to hear people are charing it every day.

That's awesome about your savings. BTW looks like we might have the same car, white, with upgraded rims, that's what I plan on ordering!

Reactions: SoCalDriver