Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a model 3 with no keycard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question I am looking at a 2019 model 3 with only 13,000 miles it is an out-of-state vehicle. I was going to fly down and drive it back. The seller give me information so I could transfer the current to my app which hasn’t occurred yet. My concern is when I asked him about the key cards. He made it sound like he did not have any. I don’t want to fly out there and find out there’s an issue. My question is do I need a key card I know you can do it through the app, but I would think you would at least want a key card. I appreciate any input from some tesla owners. I appreciate it!

I have a question I am looking at a 2019 model 3 with only 13,000 miles it is an out-of-state vehicle. I was going to fly down and drive it back. The seller give me information so I could transfer the current to my app which hasn’t occurred yet. My concern is when I asked him about the key cards. He made it sound like he did not have any. I don’t want to fly out there and find out there’s an issue. My question is do I need a key card I know you can do it through the app, but I would think you would at least want a key card. I appreciate any input from some tesla owners. I appreciate it!

If the seller does not have a keycard you should really STOP, and take a minute. Make the seller buy them. There is no reason for a legit, non salvage vehicle to not have keycards since they are like $35 but you have to prove ownership of the vehicle if you dont have one working one to program the others.

if they dont have one and its not salvage, you need to treat that like the possibility of you being scammed is VERY high. Ask them to get them, and prove they have working vehicle keycards. You could even offer to increase your price by the $35 that costs, but make them get them, AND have them programmed, and have working, programmed to the car keycards as part of the deal, written.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the seller does not have a keycard you should really STOP, and take a minute. Make the seller buy them. There is no reason for a legit, non salvage vehicle to not have keycards since they are like $35 but you have to prove ownership of the vehicle if you dont have one working one to program the others.

if they dont have one and its not salvage, you need to treat that like the possibility of you being scammed is VERY high. Ask them to get them, and prove they have working vehicle keycards. You could even offer to increase your price by the $35 that costs, but make them get them, AND have them programmed, and have working, programmed to the car keycards as part of the deal, written.
Ok now a little worried the dealer does have the title and I was able to load the car in my app, I wanted to make sure I was able have access to super charging as I am 400 miles away. The dealer says he has a key fob is that the same thing? Sorry new to Tesla

Upvote 0
Ok now a little worried the dealer does have the title and I was able to load the car in my app, I wanted to make sure I was able have access to super charging as I am 400 miles away. The dealer says he has a key fob is that the same thing? Sorry new to Tesla
Great that you can now see the car in the App. Key fob is like an actual key fob from a gas vehicle with a few buttons. Key card is the credit card type.

Upvote 0
I am looking at a 2019 model 3, has low miles seems like a decent deal I am supposed to fly out and pick it up. I was able to load it on my app but when I pull up the specs it doesn’t show FSD? The screen shows it but not sure it really means it has it? I am new with Tesla and don’t want to be misled. Thoughts?

I
IMG_0977.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpeg
    IMG_0978.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
In order for you to have Supercharging access there needs to be a credit card on file with the Tesla account that's attached to the vehicle. If you have added to car to your app AND you have a registered, valid credit card in your Tesla account, you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Also now that I have the app I see the specs he said it has FSD but it doesn’t show it in the specs?
That definitely doesn't seem to have FSD. First line of mine is "Full Self-Driving Capability", the second is "Enhanced Autopilot"

You can also click on "Upgrades" to see if FSD purchase or subscription is there as a potential add-on.

Upvote 0
Also now that I have the app I see the specs he said it has FSD but it doesn’t show it in the specs?
From there if definitely doesn’t look like it had FSD. In the app click upgrades and then software upgrades. What does it show there? If FSD is an option to purchase then it definitely does not have FSD already.

Upvote 0