Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a model 3 with no keycard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question I am looking at a 2019 model 3 with only 13,000 miles it is an out-of-state vehicle. I was going to fly down and drive it back. The seller give me information so I could transfer the current to my app which hasn’t occurred yet. My concern is when I asked him about the key cards. He made it sound like he did not have any. I don’t want to fly out there and find out there’s an issue. My question is do I need a key card I know you can do it through the app, but I would think you would at least want a key card. I appreciate any input from some tesla owners. I appreciate it!

hmmm I go into upgrades and it’s an available upgrade. I wonder if the picture he provided was from a subscription? Can’t explain otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpeg
    IMG_0978.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
hmmm I go into upgrades and it’s an available upgrade. I wonder if the picture he provided was from a subscription? Can’t explain otherwise.
Then the car 100% doesn’t have FSD. That screen shot he sent is what most all have when the car is capable of FSD but doesn’t have it activated. I don’t have FSD on my MS but have both those options from the screen shot.

Upvote 0
Regarding the key cards, apparently you can now add a phone key without key card so that’s not a limiting factor.

But I’m pretty sure you still cannot delete any keys without a key card to confirm.

Meaning eventually you would need to goto the service center to buy new key cards and have them delete the old ones (and probably prove ownership to do so). Otherwise if the old owner “finds” the old key card they would be able to access your car.

There’s a lot of red flags with this deal it seems like. I would run.

Upvote 0
His ad stated “AUTOPILOT COMPUTER : FULL SELF-DRIVING COMPUTER”
Am I wrong for assuming it had full self driving? Also he had a picture of the screen autosteer beta and full self driving visualization preview both toggled to on
That’s just the computer. It means the computer is FSD capable but does not mean the car comes with FSD.

The other two options are present with basic autopilot and does NOT mean it has FSD.

Upvote 0
That’s just the computer. It means the computer is FSD capable but does not mean the car comes with FSD.

The other two options are present with basic autopilot and does NOT mean it has FSD.
So it looks like maybe I just assumed the wrong capability? Being a Tesla newbie is a challenge when trying to buy one maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a new one. This was 27k with an accident (that I had to find wasn’t on autocheck but I pulled a CARFAX) no keycards, the car doesn’t have a salvage title but sure seems to act like one.

Upvote 0
So it looks like maybe I just assumed the wrong capability? Being a Tesla newbie is a challenge when trying to buy one maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a new one. This was 27k with an accident (that I had to find wasn’t on autocheck but I pulled a CARFAX) no keycards, the car doesn’t have a salvage title but sure seems to act like one.
I would buy a new one, or look for another - there are many better ones out there.

Upvote 0

This sounds a LOT like a salvage title tesla, regardless of what the title says now. if the car moved around states AT ALL, I would immediately cancel. In fact, my risk tolerance is low so I would cancel anyway.

There is no reason for the owner NOT to have a keycard for a non salvage tesla. It also does not have FSD but they didnt advertise that, it seems you assumed that because it has the FSD computer.

For me, I dont care whether you can add a phone without the keycard or not, there is no reason at all the owner cant get one. You had to see the carfax for the accident, and Teslas "total" easily from a cost perspective.

There has got to be other used teslas closer to wherever you are that you can see, and deal with someone else.

Upvote 0
[...] maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a new one
If you qualify for the tax credit then buying a new Model Y is a great deal. Tesla stock recently took a dive because Tesla lowered prices so much it reduced their profit margins. If you also qualify for the NY State $2K rebate, you could get a new Model Y for $37.5K which is crazy good.

Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
This sounds a LOT like a salvage title tesla, regardless of what the title says now. if the car moved around states AT ALL, I would immediately cancel. In fact, my risk tolerance is low so I would cancel anyway.

There is no reason for the owner NOT to have a keycard for a non salvage tesla. It also does not have FSD but they didnt advertise that, it seems you assumed that because it has the FSD computer.

For me, I dont care whether you can add a phone without the keycard or not, there is no reason at all the owner cant get one. You had to see the carfax for the accident, and Teslas "total" easily from a cost perspective.

There has got to be other used teslas closer to wherever you are that you can see, and deal with someone else.
Thank you I am going to cancel I think they washed the title (I never knew that was a thing). I really appreciate the help and I think it avoided a bad purchase.

Upvote 0
I doubt this is any kind of scam. Used car dealerships are typically unfamiliar with cars. Even with the old fossil cars they generally discard any extra keyfobs or whatever thing they didn't understand so it makes sense to me that they would look at those Tesla keys and just throw them right in the trash.

That said, 29K is not that great a price for a 4 year old car with an accident and the 2019 model was pretty early in Telsa's "production hell" phase so it's not nearly as good of a car as the 2023 models. Assuming you can qualify for the tax credit, a new 2023 RWD is in stock and in town today for just $8k more.

As for FSD, Tesla's labeling is deliberately deceptive. If the software screen says something like:
- "This car totally has full self driving and completely drives all by itself"

That means that it does not have any self driving features other than basic lane-keeping.

But if it says something like:
- "This car completely has full self driving and totally drives all by itself"

That means someone paid $15K to unlock the lane-changing functionality.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
Thank you I hope I didn’t come across like I was accusing the dealer of being a scammer I do believe someone washed the title though I did more digging and it looks like the car was sold in a IAA auction as a salvage/junk car. Not sure how it skirted CARFAX or autocheck but autocheck didn’t even show an accident where at least CARFAX did but again no salvage/junk report? Anyways I asked to cancel the deal and requested a refund of a small deposit. Live and learn.

Upvote 0