Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a P85 signature performance with failing battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a repeat question. I've tried to search for battery replacement threads etc... I see some of the general costs from Tesla / 3rd party, Are the lead times still long?
This might be somewhat of a more unique question as I'm not a current owner. I came across someone selling a 2013 P85 signature performance for $10,000. According to them, the battery only charges to about 35%. And says they don't want to deal with replacement with Tesla. I'm not sure how they got their sales number but I assume they are trying to sell it for what they think would be the "break even" value if someone bought it and got a Tesla replacement. I'm asking you guys if this is a good way to get into an used P85? And does the fact it's a "signature" version factor in?

If I went 3rd party, would they be able to replace it with another 85kw battery?

There's alot more research to do with the car itself. ie.. drive motor, interior, suspension. But in this case, some things can be checked as the car should still drive with 35% battery? ie.. verify the model, options and drive the car around for listen to the DU, suspension etc???

Thanks for any suggestions

If I recall, only early 2012s were signature series...
Right. The ad says 2013 but from what I researched, the signature series were late 2012 models. I came across someone selling the P85 and said he just had a new battery. I messaged them and they said Tesla did the replacement at a cost of $17,000. Not sure if it was refurbished or new. If this person gets Tesla to replace it, then I guess they would have a P86 signature series with a new/refurbished battery for $27,000. Not a bad deal I guess. Oh well.

Right. The ad says 2013 but from what I researched, the signature series were late 2012 models. I came across someone selling the P85 and said he just had a new battery. I messaged them and they said Tesla did the replacement at a cost of $17,000. Not sure if it was refurbished or new. If this person gets Tesla to replace it, then I guess they would have a P86 signature series with a new/refurbished battery for $27,000. Not a bad deal I guess. Oh well.
You're welcome to call me at 775.476.2912 if you wish to discuss verbally.

I got my first Tesla in Jan-2013 (but not a signature) after waiting 4 years on reservation. The signatures were limited to 1000 cars, but I think a few slipped into early 2013, so I think it is possible that an early 2013 could be a signature. It's fairly easy to tell from the VIN (year) and pictures, as the side badges have "signature" on them.