Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a returned X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all,

I have a P85D with 53k miles ( I love her so much lol) but a growing family now where the S isn't going to work for us with 2 small kids + very large 80lb doodle/nephews that we see a few times a week at least.

We are now looking to transition to the X.

I'm debating on putting in an order for the LR within the next few days or possibly looking at a returned X (less than 500 miles on the odometer). I'd like to try to get it before EOY.

Car will be manufactured in July 2019 or later preferably so I'll be getting a Raven.. or shooting for it.

Does anyone have any experience on picking up a car that was returned within 1 week of original delivery w/ little to no mileage? or can point me to a post? did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

I find it odd that Tesla would tell you it was returned.

Normally it would just be listed as an inventory vehicle, no?

Personally, I would stay away and find one used as a demo car. If it was sent back, it was probably for good reason.

No good to guess about condition of a particular Model X.

They can be returned for ANY REASON for those who NEVER did a test drive.
Some might want to just try a Tesla for a 5 day trip and return it. Cheaper than a rental.

No, you have to look at the car, test drive, consider all the costs, tax breaks, etc...
AND what might be your return penalties IF you don't like.
Leasing yet another twist and ....

You already KNOW Tesla - what are you trying to do?? Just save money?
How long will you own? How much could you save? How much is that per year or month? Is it worth the effort?

I think glide might be correct - returns just show up as inventory cars. Would you really care if a demo or return?

IF I wanted a killer deal, guess I'd look for a "sales rep. explain what you are looking for - what a price goal?? colors? whatever.
AND offer to pay them a finders fee?? Would they do it? just an idea - probably a bad one.

Good luck, don't stress out, enjoy.

side note: talk with banker leasing department - tell them you would strongly consider picking up an a lease.
Perhaps someone looses a job, wants to remove Model X monthly lease payments. You get the idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
I would check EV-CPO to get an idea of the prices for "used" Model X's.

I was looking at Model-S's and was AMAZED at how high the price was being quoted. I guess you might be able to negotiate a deal on used cars, but the S's seem to turn over so fast, it seems like they just say take it or leave it.

Looks like Tesla.com is having some issues...

View media item 120648

I wouldn't care - my main priority is that it's functioning to the level that I expect.

Black seats, AP, and 6 seater are the main criteria for the X.

And how do you know it didn't have a drive unit replaced twice or a battery issue? And it took 6 days for the first customer to discover it was a lemon? And it might take you 8 days to discover you have a lemon on your hands.

You just don't know, they might have loved it so much they returned it for a Performance or a 7 Seater.

It would have to be a drastic cut to be worth the risk and it rarely is a drastic cut.