Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Single 19” Gemini Wheel and Tire as a Spare?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing a lot of posts about flat tires and calling Tesla Roadside assistance only to find out they have no tires in stock. Also they don’t seem to repair them. I know there are things lIke Modern Spare but I was wondering if it made sense to buy 1 19” Gemini wheel and OEM tire and keep it at home. In the case of Tesla Roadside saying they have no tires you could have them tow you to your house to swap out the tire. Providing you’re not far from home on a road trip. Does this make sense to anyone? Any other solutions? Ideas?

Reactions: positiv and TMYB-C1
I kinda did that. I ended up buying a set of snow tires. If I'm going somewhere that might leave me out in the boonies, I bring one along. I've highly considered getting a spare tire hitch attachment, but not sure which one to get.

There's a neat one that opens like a door to the side and lets you easily access the trunk, but its like $1400. Not sure I want it that badly. There are also cheaper ones... just havent gotten the itch yet.

Where did you purchase it? Directly from a Tesla? How much was it?
facebook marketplace - met seller who was 2hrs away. Paid 1200 for wheels, hubcaps, tires, and TPS. About 200 miles on them when I purchased them.

He had just swapped for a set of 18" tsports with michelin AS tires. He was after improved ride quality. Said he did not notice any difference in range. Said the ride was better.

facebook marketplace - met seller who was 2hrs away. Paid 1200 for wheels, hubcaps, tires, and TPS. About 200 miles on them when I purchased them.

He had just swapped for a set of 18" tsports with michelin AS tires. He was after improved ride quality. Said he did not notice any difference in range. Said the ride was better.
Oh you bought a set of 4?! I am thinking 1 as a spare. Can’t see in the Tesla shop where or how to buy 1 19” Gemini wheel and tower.

Oh you bought a set of 4?! I am thinking 1 as a spare. Can’t see in the Tesla shop where or how to buy 1 19” Gemini wheel and tower.

I did what you intend to do. I bought just a single gemini wheel off ebay and bought a corresponding tire somewhere else as spare. I bring this spare for road trip too. I prefer handling a flat tire situation right away on my own than using roadside assistance.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I just had a flat tire incident that resulted in Tesla roadside telling me my service center was not handling tire repairs, but luckily I had found a tire shop with the OEM Continental in stock which I was towed to.

I also plan to purchase a single wheel to keep at home in case of future issues. Tesla quoted me 600 for the rim, I paid 300 for the tire and the tpms goes for 100... 1000 for 1 wheel seems excessive

Just wanted to chime in and say I've done the same thing. Grabbed a Model Y 19" Gemini rim from a seller who was changing wheels. I'm getting a tyre put on it.
I did it because Tesla doesn't provide flat tyre services in my area and the roads around me are appalling.

What are you guys doing for the TPMS? I'm tempted to skip it as a spare
You'll hate yourself later if you do that. Instead of having five identical wheels/tires, you have four plus a spare.

What's the difference? With five the same, if you get a flat, you swap on the fifth, have the flat repaired, and you're done.
With four + spare, if you get a flat, you swap on the spare, have the flat repaired, then have to change the wheel again an additional time to get the fourth non-spare back on the car.

This is my plan. I just got a nail through the side wall of my FR tire. Insta-death. I have a '22 Model Y with 21K miles on it, the other three tires look just fine. I want to keep one of them and put it on a garage spare - but first to find a Gemini 19" wheel to do it with.
Ouch, just ouch. 16 month old car and need to drop another $1600 on four new tires.
:(

DLC

How much was the Gemini wheel on eBay? I have to see if Tesla sells them individually.

Tesla will sell you a single Gemini wheel. Just go to the service center and give them the part number from the catalog. It's over the counter so no VIN required to purchase (Houston Westchase initially refused to sell me the wheel because they thought it was a restricted part. They sold me the wheel after I showed them the OTC designation on the parts catalog page.)

Here's the relevant parts catalog info:
  • WHEEL, 19x9.5 ET45, APOLLO (3488222-00-A). Unit price == $650.00.
  • 19 INCH GEMINI CAP (1044235-00-B). Unit price == $50.00.

This is my plan. I just got a nail through the side wall of my FR tire. Insta-death. I have a '22 Model Y with 21K miles on it, the other three tires look just fine. I want to keep one of them and put it on a garage spare - but first to find a Gemini 19" wheel to do it with.
Ouch, just ouch. 16 month old car and need to drop another $1600 on four new tires.
:(

DLC

Sorry to hear about that.

Might be worth considering the Discount Tire certificate next time you get new tires. Certificate covers nonrepairable damage to tires due to road hazards or manufacturing defects. You don't have to buy the tires from Discount Tire either--I took delivery of a 2023 MS LR last month and got certificates for the factory-supplied tires 2 weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about that.

Might be worth considering the Discount Tire certificate next time you get new tires. Certificate covers nonrepairable damage to tires due to road hazards or manufacturing defects. You don't have to buy the tires from Discount Tire either--I took delivery of a 2023 MS LR last month and got certificates for the factory-supplied tires 2 weeks ago.
Mind if I ask ballpark for certificate?

Sure can! Just found the receipt for the certificates I got for the MY. Replacement tire spec'd for the certificate is 255/45 R19 Continental Pro Contact RX TE 104. Certificate cost was $54.75 per wheel.

The price is determined based off the price of the tire selected, so if you opt for another tire the price will vary. For example the certificates cost $32.50/wheel for the M3 because the 235/40 R19 Michelin Primacy MXM4 cost $186.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue