Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Spare Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we got our Leaf, the first thing I did was buy a spare tire. $65 for the tire (eBay) and $15 for the jack. Eight bucks for a nice cover.

I'd like to do the same for our new Tesla Model 3. I see a kit on Amazon for $350, but I'm hoping I can find a cheaper solution.

Anyone done this? Other advice?

Thanks.

Did you ever use the spare in the Leaf?

I did indeed! It was a major tire failure—something that required the purchase of a new tire (that is, not easily repaired). We've had the Leaf for three years.

I realize that these events are relatively uncommon, but we have places here with no cell phone coverage.

Even one of those mini doughnut tires would be preferable to nothing.

Take a look here:

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

Problem is I had to ream out the Genesis spare I purchased. Not a big deal as I was expecting the possibility. Finding a jack is bit problematic. I have a one of the floppy steel ones. I've tested it and it works, but I'm not at all enthused and would be very cautious while using it.

You are going to be hard pressed to get setup for under $120-$150 for tire, jack and tools.

You know that if you call Tesla roadside assist, they will come and install a loaner "wheel and tire" for you? Then you just to fix your tire or get a new one... then return the loaner to a SC near you.

I did not know that, but figured there was something like that. I understand your point, but ...

We had roadside service with our Leaf here north of Eureka, CA, and here's how it worked: When we needed roadside assist, we called and waited quite a while and then a somewhat sketchy guy with a tow truck showed up and helped us out.

IOW, the concept of a call followed by the quick appearance of a with-it millennial with a crewcut and a Tesla-emblazoned polo shirt who solves all your problem MAY not be correct.

Last night, we were driving on a really remote road in pouring rain (on our way to pick up our M3). If we'd had a flat, I would have preferred "Bummer, I have to change the tire in the rain" to "Oh, crap, no phone coverage. Now what? Flag down a car? Let him take me 40 miles to gas station, or coverage? Leave wife in car or have us both go? Have him call Tesla assistance when he has coverage?"

I realize that the chances of that situation are remote, so I have to decide how much I'm willing to pay for the "insurance" of having a spare.

Tesla sells a flat tire kit that injects slime. Others, like me, carry a plug kit and compressor. Either will get you to a tire shop if you have a puncture or slow leak. Neither will work for a catastrophic tire failure, but those are relatively rare. You can handle 80% of issues yourself, while the remaining 20% require a service call. For those of us who live in developed areas, that's an acceptable level of risk. If I lived in a rural area, I'd probably get the modern spare kit.

Reactions: house9
I'm in the better safe than sorry camp. Bought the modern spare and my only complaint is the weight of it (range loss) and the space it takes up (more than you'd imagine). Oh and yes it is costly. But 50k for a car and 400 bucks more for peace of mind knowing that if I have a flat I can swap it out pretty much no matter what the flat situation is worth to me. My. 02

I'll be ordering a Modern Spare or an extra wheel/tire (Titan7 T-S5 wheel). There are parts of Northern CA where I have experienced no mobile phone service, but luckily I had a spare in my VW R32. I was south of Fortuna, CA on Hwy 101, hit a pothole (couldn't see it in the heavy rain) and blew the sidewall. Tried calling AAA, but no cell service with AT&T, even though AT&Ts map showed coverage. Never saw a CA CHP or other car drive by either. Stopped at every major city on the way back to Sacramento and I could not find a tire shop that had a 225/40 18 in stock. I'm now cautious after that experience......

I'll be ordering a Modern Spare or an extra wheel/tire (Titan7 T-S5 wheel). There are parts of Northern CA where I have experienced no mobile phone service, but luckily I had a spare in my VW R32. I was south of Fortuna, CA on Hwy 101, hit a pothole (couldn't see it in the heavy rain) and blew the sidewall. Tried calling AAA, but no cell service with AT&T, even though AT&Ts map showed coverage. Never saw a CA CHP or other car drive by either. Stopped at every major city on the way back to Sacramento and I could not find a tire shop that had a 225/40 18 in stock. I'm now cautious after that experience......

Get a spare if you live in remote area, but you should also consider getting a Garmin inReach and leave it in your car. For $12 a month subscription fee, as long as you could see the sky, you could SMS anyone. Txt someone you know when you get stuck anywhere...even if you are hiking in the middle of nowhere. Or you could txt a friend to call AAA for you in case 2 of tires failed. You could also contact search and rescue in a real emergency. It is especially important right now in CA when the power company could shut off power anytime in high wind. They could cut off cell towers too if the backup went out.

Costco.com has it on sales for $230 right now... cheaper than a spare tire!

Get a spare if you live in remote area, but you should also consider getting a Garmin inReach and leave it in your car. For $12 a month subscription fee, as long as you could see the sky, you could SMS anyone. Txt someone you know when you get stuck anywhere...even if you are hiking in the middle of nowhere. Or you could txt a friend to call AAA for you in case 2 of tires failed. You could also contact search and rescue in a real emergency. It is especially important right now in CA when the power company could shut off power anytime in high wind. They could cut off cell towers too if the backup went out.

Costco.com has it on sales for $230 right now... cheaper than a spare tire!

Thanks for the advice - ordered on 12/27 which was the first day of the sale and it will be the back up to the spare. I'm still getting a spare though, as I could be on my way again in a few minutes. Except of course, if I damage more than one tire/wheel as you mentioned. I'm paranoid now after my experience !! Have a Happy New Year !

Reactions: Need
I bit the bullet and bought the ModernSpare (full kit, but without the case). Quality looks good, and I'll play with it tomorrow after I get my torque wrench and high quality chocks. The orange box is a tire repair kit. Note yellow tape on puck to make it more visible.

FlatKit.jpg

20200123_165331.jpg

Here it is in the trunk with the bugout bag. I'll get a case for the tire for$15, then make the storage more compact and perhaps store the flat tire kit inside the wheel.
BugOut.jpg