Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Standard Range Model 3 without Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you buy a standard range model 3 can you buy the autopilot separately after delivery? If so, will it still be $3k or will there be an up-charge? I've asked multiple Tesla employees and no one seems to know the correct answer. Thanks for the help!

...will it still be $3k or will there be an up-charge?...

Maybe because Tesla keeps changing the prices so often so it's unknown.

Tesla used to charge more for post-delivery price as indicated on the order page but it dropped that so there's no guarantee either way.

If you buy a standard range model 3 can you buy the autopilot separately after delivery?...

I don't see why not. Tesla needs your money.

At the moment you can add AP for $3K.

Yes, OP needs to factor in is it worth it to buy a SR+ @ ~$39K or SR & AP at 38K.

I decided to wait to see if Tesla would offer a better deal (say $2K for AP) but looks like they're going the other way at least with FSD.

Right now if you go to:
https://www.tesla.com/software_purchase_auth?vin=

which says

Autopilot Upgrades
autopilot2.png

Autopilot
Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
Buy for $3,000
sd_img.png

Full Self Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets
Note: Autopilot is required for the purchase of Full Self Driving Capability

Buy for $6,000

Last edited:
Is buying Model 3 Standard with 220 miles battery limited still an option? Now that SR+ is $39,990, it seems you can save $4990 by starting with the Standard then saving it for your next Tesla or upgrading to SR+ later on. Thoughts?

I have a friend with an SR and he is perfectly happy with it. It has no autopilot. The range is 220 but you can safely charge to 100% since the last 30 miles are software locked. With an SR+ you will likely only charge to 90%, so around 225. And if you buy it now for $35K, you can upgrade it down the road to either a full SR+ or an SR with autopilot if you choose. The SR+ battery pack is still in there, as is all the FSD hardware.

I think for $35K it’s a bargain as long as you don’t care about autopilot.

I have a friend with an SR and he is perfectly happy with it. It has no autopilot. The range is 220 but you can safely charge to 100% since the last 30 miles are software locked. With an SR+ you will likely only charge to 90%, so around 225. And if you buy it now for $35K, you can upgrade it down the road to either a full SR+ or an SR with autopilot if you choose. The SR+ battery pack is still in there, as is all the FSD hardware.

Best value IMHO.

That's what I was thinking... this gets you into the Tesla Super Charging network for long distance travel. Unfortunately, Electrified America is far behind.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Is buying Model 3 Standard with 220 miles battery limited still an option? Now that SR+ is $39,990, it seems you can save $4990 by starting with the Standard then saving it for your next Tesla or upgrading to SR+ later on. Thoughts?

Yes, you just order the Standard + online, pay your $100 fee, then call customer service or the nearest show room, give them your reservation number and tell them you want the standard plus. You’ll get a new Order Agreement for roughly $5K less.

Personally, I don’t really care about the additional range/speed/acceleration that comes with the plus and $3K for autopilot is quite a bit. All of the stuff I really want comes with FSD and I’m not paying $10K for that. So the Standard version at $35K ($37500 after tire and color upgrades) was a no-brained for me.

Reactions: house9
Yes, you just order the Standard + online, pay your $100 fee, then call customer service or the nearest show room, give them your reservation number and tell them you want the standard plus. You’ll get a new Order Agreement for roughly $5K less.

That should be “tell them you want the standard instead of the standard plus”. Sorry, I’m new here and I have no idea where the edit button is!

I agree. When do you want the full range? On road trips, when you're supercharging.
When do you quit a supercharging session? When the charge rate drops-off (e.g. as soon as possible after 50% SOC).
But on the SR, that should be at 60% instead. So it's an SR, but you can roadtrip like it's an SR+.
(But yes, there are times when you really do want all the range!)

I think an SR may also fetch more at resale (relative to MSRP) because the battery has been babied (by having 10% more capacity locked-out). The new owner could add AP and have confidence that the battery is in better shape than a typical SR+ with the same miles... maybe much better shape.

Since Tesla advertises that SR is capped at 220 miles, I had also hoped that SR would maintain 220 miles, even as the battery degrades. This would be huge, since every other Tesla loses range within weeks. But it sounds like SRs are showing <220 miles range after some use... bummer!

Reactions: vickh and OCR1