Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Standard Range Model 3 without Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to buy a SR model WITH AP? I don't care for FSD right now, but really like the AP feature. Am I forced to go SR+ if I want AP?

Yes. You can order the SR+ online, then call Tesla and ask for a SR but tell them to add autopilot back to it. That will give you a $38,000 car vs a $39,900 SR+ and you’ll be able to finance the whole amount vs having to come up with an additional $3K in cash.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Do you know if there has been any successful upgrades from SR to SR+ in terms of software? If I recall correctly, they remove the ability to turn on heated seats in the back, the range is locked, and physically some speakers aren't installed. Can you get those heated seats and range back at a later date? If so, at what cost?

There should be a simple image that lays all of this out.

Yes. You can order the SR+ online, then call Tesla and ask for a SR but tell them to add autopilot back to it. That will give you a $38,000 car vs a $39,900 SR+ and you’ll be able to finance the whole amount vs having to come up with an additional $3K in cash.

Do you know if there has been any successful upgrades from SR to SR+ in terms of software? If I recall correctly, they remove the ability to turn on heated seats in the back, the range is locked, and physically some speakers aren't installed. Can you get those heated seats and range back at a later date? If so, at what cost?

It would not make sense to upgrade later because you will be paying the difference between the SR+ and SR and missing years of usage. My thought was to buy the SR and then a few years later buy a new SR+ with newer tech.

The SR+ does not have heated rear seats either. Nor does it have any more speakers activated.

The range is software locked for the last 20 miles.

My understanding is that all of the differences between the SR and SR+ are software/system configurations, including the heated seats and enhanced sound.

I don’t have a definitive answer on if you can pay to get the SR+ features but my hunch is yes. My experience has been that while Tesla doesn’t have nailed down standard processes for most things (even switching from an SR+ to an SR takes a customer support escalation and “research” on their end), they usually figure out how to do things that are within reason. Tesla understandably wants to sell everyone the SR+ so if you decide after the fact that’s what you want, I feel like they’d be happy to charge you the price difference and make it happen, even if they have to jerry rig a solution for you.

This is a good question and it has me intrigued. If you call customer service and inquire please let us know what they say. I’m having a hard time imagining that they would say no.

I recently upgraded autopilot. I used the app to purchase. I ordered it while I was at work and thought I would have to drive home to connect the car to wifi to download. To my surprise on the drive home it was enabled. It seems all the software is pre installed. Just needed an over the air digital switch to be flipped. As of price; I paid 4K canadian which is the at time of purchase price. I read somewhere after purchase price was suppose to be 5.5K canadian so I was happy with paying the 4K. I also wanted to upgrade to the plus but was told by multiple Tesla sources that it was not yet available at this time. What would be holding Tesla back from this?

Reactions: BeeGood
I thought I read somewhere that Elon confirmed the SR+ was getting heated rear seats sometime in December.

This thread seems to indicate that the hardware is definitely there for it:

SR+ Access To Rear Heated Seats

A number of people have reported taking home an SR/SR+ and having heated rear seats for a brief period of time before Tesla removed them remotely. So yes we understand that the heating elements are physically there. However, Tesla has been known for changing their manufacturing process frequently. So while the early deliveries had all of the heating hardware, it’s possible that Tesla redesigned the seats to remove those elements. Similar to how they removed the frunk clips without publishing anything about the change.

And yes, someone tweeted Elon saying it would be nice to have a path to upgrade to heated rear seats. Elon responded in a non-commital way that led some to believe it may be a future option. Who knows if they will ever get around to it though.

• Informative
I agree. When do you want the full range? On road trips, when you're supercharging.
When do you quit a supercharging session? When the charge rate drops-off (e.g. as soon as possible after 50% SOC).
But on the SR, that should be at 60% instead. So it's an SR, but you can roadtrip like it's an SR+.
(But yes, there are times when you really do want all the range!)

I think an SR may also fetch more at resale (relative to MSRP) because the battery has been babied (by having 10% more capacity locked-out). The new owner could add AP and have confidence that the battery is in better shape than a typical SR+ with the same miles... maybe much better shape.

Since Tesla advertises that SR is capped at 220 miles, I had also hoped that SR would maintain 220 miles, even as the battery degrades. This would be huge, since every other Tesla loses range within weeks. But it sounds like SRs are showing <220 miles range after some use... bummer!

yes mine shows 207 in 7 months/ 8k miles , but i do agree about your 10% buffer that can be unlocked. and your other SR points

or credit card (w/ points) or I'm hoping using some of my solar referral $$ (still waiting to hear back re: that)