Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla for all the wrong reasons?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family has 3 Tesla's and a fourth before year end. I really think it is the best car to buy right now.
That's interesting. With all the reports of problems with the S, from door handles to multiple drive unit replacements, is it fair to say that your family has had good experiences with your Teslas? (I would guess that those who have issues are more likely to post about them than those who haven't had any.)

Hello and welcome from a Denver Tesla driver!

I wouldn't worry out here about vandalism on the car. Most people in the Denver area won't really do anything to your car (and I work over right next to Aurora). And I wouldn't worry about the image of what people will think when you have the car. I'm only 36 and have one myself. Everyone loves the car. :)

Sounds like you've done a lot of work and have come to a crossroads. My wife and I were in a similar situation when we bought ours. We were concerned that friends and family (and co-workers) might judge us for spending so much money on a car. Neither of us had ever bought a luxury car before and were worried about bosses making the argument that we don't need raises if we were able to buy a Tesla. The truth of the matter is I'm supporting the things that I want to see flourish. Elon changing the rules for the entire industry is a big one for me.

I can give you some data on experiences after the purchase:

1) Very happy with the car (I just can't stop looking at it in the driveway or parking spot).
2) You will lose money in depreciation and you have to be okay with that
3) I am comforted when I see a car accident and know that this car is probably the safest car ever made.
4) We are the people in the covered wagons heading west. We are all leaders. Everyone buying an electric car in the future will be following our path.
5) No matter when you buy the car it will be outdated in a few months.

Sounds like you've done a lot of work and have come to a crossroads. My wife and I were in a similar situation when we bought ours. We were concerned that friends and family (and co-workers) might judge us for spending so much money on a car. Neither of us had ever bought a luxury car before and were worried about bosses making the argument that we don't need raises if we were able to buy a Tesla. The truth of the matter is I'm supporting the things that I want to see flourish. Elon changing the rules for the entire industry is a big one for me.

1) Very happy with the car (I just can't stop looking at it in the driveway or parking spot).
3) I am comforted when I see a car accident and know that this car is probably the safest car ever made.
4) We are the people in the covered wagons heading west. We are all leaders. Everyone buying an electric car in the future will be following our path.
Nobody could have said it better! Thanks! I felt the same when we purchased our 2011 Leaf. Now it's four years old and nearly worthless in the eyes of many, yet it still zips us all around town better than any other vehicle I've tried (well, except my bicycle on a perfect autumn day). Yes, that even includes the Tesla. I much prefer the smaller Leaf with higher clearance and headroom for everyday grocery store trips. Of course, the Tesla is a much better road tripper.

Yes, we are all leading and paying the depreciation price, just like the iPhone, but on a greater scale. If you believe in this technology (what ever your personal reason), then you need to vote with your dollars. Nearly 25 years ago I stated my next car would be electric and I was right (I just didn't think it would take that long:redface:). If you need a long-range vehicle and want to go electric, Tesla is the only game in town. In a few years we may see the Bolt, Leaf-2, and other 200+ mi EVs, but even then you're still be limited by charging >100 mi from home using less than reliable stations (and 10+ systems!). Tesla is the only company building out a high-speed charging infrastructure that is sufficiently fast, multi-unit, robust, and properly spaced.

Another thing to note (we have a LEAF too), there are really only two companies that are making this happen; Tesla and Nissan. Pretty much all other car makers are running EV programs that are made to limited in nature or are in response to others EV programs. The EV revolution wasn't going to happen without Tesla and would have been weakened without Nissan.

Very nice, concise and accurate list.

Another thing to note (we have a LEAF too), there are really only two companies that are making this happen; Tesla and Nissan. Pretty much all other car makers are running EV programs that are made to limited in nature or are in response to others EV programs. The EV revolution wasn't going to happen without Tesla and would have been weakened without Nissan.

It's not really on topic here, but you're giving Nissan *far* too much credit, and completely ignoring the largest player in making it happen, at least at the beginning: GM.

Until GM worked with AeroVironment on SunRaycer and Impact, electric cars were powered by DC motors and the power to weight ratios were horrible. The same drive inverter technology and AC motors live on in the Tesla Roadster, licensed from AC Propulsion (founded by Al Cocconi, the lead AeroVironment engineer on the Sunraycer project.) The Roadster is also built off of a platform codeveloped by GM and Lotus.

The Impact was also what convinced CARB that EVs were practical, and led the zero emissions mandate and to lots of other folks getting involved in EVs. GM's later contributions are somewhat less clear, but the average Volt driver does more EV miles than the average Leaf, and the car doesn't have the same issues with the battery pack. And, of course, GM and Toyota built Tesla's current factory - and after closing it sold to Tesla for cents on the dollar.

We wouldn't be here without Tesla - but Tesla wouldn't be here without GM, either. I'm not sure if the Leaf would exist without the Volt - it was first shown as a concept after Nissan saw the public's reaction to the Volt production announcement.

But as I said, this is kinda off-topic. My main thought for the OP is similar to what someone else said: If you can comfortably afford the S, as a described fan of Musk/Tesla, buying the S (or possibly waiting a few weeks and buying an X,) is the best thing you can do - all of that "wasted" money goes in to Tesla expanding and building more EVs.
Walter

The original post is like reading my own thought process from a few weeks ago. I'm a software guy, 42, my kid is 5, and I've never been a car guy. I drove a Corolla most of my adult life, until I jumped into a Prius in 2010. Then a year ago, we started leasing a Leaf, and we were hooked on electric.

As much as I don't care what other people think, my biggest mental barrier was cost, and what I could do with that money. I'm a cruise addict (living in Orlando, with three ports relatively close by), and weekend 3-night Disney cruises are like crack. Also, I equate the cost with douchey status cars like Escalades and Land Rovers. But we just keep saving money, and don't really do anything cool with it. Why not support Ironman and his electric ambition, while having some fun driving? The initial investment hurts a little, but monthly cashflow will still be pretty good and we'll still be saving money.

Our 70D is on the line right now, and is set to arrive the first week of August, 5.5 weeks from order to delivery.

It's not really on topic here, but you're giving Nissan *far* too much credit, and completely ignoring the largest player in making it happen, at least at the beginning: GM.

Until GM worked with AeroVironment on SunRaycer and Impact, electric cars were powered by DC motors and the power to weight ratios were horrible. The same drive inverter technology and AC motors live on in the Tesla Roadster, licensed from AC Propulsion (founded by Al Cocconi, the lead AeroVironment engineer on the Sunraycer project.) The Roadster is also built off of a platform codeveloped by GM and Lotus.

The Impact was also what convinced CARB that EVs were practical, and led the zero emissions mandate and to lots of other folks getting involved in EVs. GM's later contributions are somewhat less clear, but the average Volt driver does more EV miles than the average Leaf, and the car doesn't have the same issues with the battery pack. And, of course, GM and Toyota built Tesla's current factory - and after closing it sold to Tesla for cents on the dollar.

We wouldn't be here without Tesla - but Tesla wouldn't be here without GM, either. I'm not sure if the Leaf would exist without the Volt - it was first shown as a concept after Nissan saw the public's reaction to the Volt production announcement.

But as I said, this is kinda off-topic. My main thought for the OP is similar to what someone else said: If you can comfortably afford the S, as a described fan of Musk/Tesla, buying the S (or possibly waiting a few weeks and buying an X,) is the best thing you can do - all of that "wasted" money goes in to Tesla expanding and building more EVs.
Walter

Not to get too off-topic either, but while early contributions are awesome, it doesn't necessarily translate into efforts today. Case and point, smart electric EVs were probably the most widespread and practically-used EV between the EV1 and the Roadster (on a global level / in Europe), but now you'll get little to no support from Mercedes getting an electric smart in a "supported" market.

I had to cancel a smart electric order after a delay of 11 months, despite "national availability", and a Leaf was the only EV available in my EV-backwards state of Ohio. Nissan cut huge corners on their battery tech, but northern climate Leafs and Leaf leases still make for tremendous commuter cars. I'm regularly getting 220-200 whr/mile on my Leaf too which is pretty awesome, and without extra state incentives I'm still leasing it for <$250 a month before gas savings.

As much as I hate Nissan's battery tech, I realistically won't own a Leaf that long once the Model 3 is out and they are the only EV that can bridge me to that point.

I wouldn't call it a true sports car. Sure it handles great, but it's a large family sedan.
I wouldn't really call it a luxury car either. Sure it's sorta nice, but it's not really indulgent. To my eyes it's a nice semi luxury without going overboard.
I don't think it's pretentious at all. Most people don't really notice it, and I doubt it's really going to standout. I have to go pretty far outside the Seattle area for anyone to even comment on mine.

I would still recommend keeping a gas powered car as a second car. Not just for bad neighborhoods, but also trips to places where you don't really want to take a Tesla. It's also nice in case of emergency. I call my Jeep the "in case of Armageddon" car.

That's interesting. With all the reports of problems with the S, from door handles to multiple drive unit replacements, is it fair to say that your family has had good experiences with your Teslas? (I would guess that those who have issues are more likely to post about them than those who haven't had any.)
Forums such as this one are typically full of problems and complaints regardless of car make. My Model S has 52k miles and is over two years old:

Master charger: 1

Charge port: 1

Wind noise from triangular window: 1

The above happened very early.

Door handles: 1

Tire wear/alignment: first set wore quickly. Good after camber bolts installed

Drive train/inverter: 0

Battery/contactor: 0

Pano noise/sticking: 0

Frunk dent: 0

Windshield crack: 0

Glove box latch: 0

A/C: works fine, no issues

Sound system: I get lot of compliments (note: properly recorded music encoded losslessly. Garbage in, garbage out)

Panel fitment: no issues

B-pillar: 1

Driver's seat: 1

(hundreds of people other than myself have sat in the driver's seat)

So basically, I've had two infant mortality problems, two adjustment issues, two issues due to showing the car, and one problem. Given the VIN of my car, I'd say that's very good.

I'm probably going to buy one. But my reasons are lame. Maybe some of you can allay my reservations and tell me you don't think they are!! Help me get to the purchase point and I'm 99% sure I won't have any remorse....
Cons[/B]:[/SIZE]
[*]I don't need a sportscar or a luxury car and neither aspect appeals to me.

I needed a five-seater with huge cargo space with a ride as smooth as a Lincoln Town Car... I got it. :)
[*]The Model 3 will be out in 2 years and I could just wait for a "more modest" car. Please talk me out of this!!
When's your current car going to need to be replaced? When I got my model S, the car I was driving was on its last legs and was requiring >$5000 of repairs per year, but I was swearing that I was going to hold out until the Model S was available....
[*]I hate the idea of being seen as pretentious or being someone who cares about "conspicuous consumption" or displays of wealth.
So don't get red. :)
[*]I occasionally have to travel to (and park in) bad neighborhoods. Vandalism target, no? (I'm thinking of keeping my Prius for THIS reason only! But really don't want to own two cars.)
Nobody's reported much vandalism. Vandals don't tend to recognize the make, I think?

I don't much car about performance or handling. But I want an all-electric with good range and AWD, so there's really no other option, correct?
Correct. Your only other option is to wait. There aren't even any used "Dual Motor" models on the market yet, or I'd tell you to get a used Tesla and save some money.

So it really comes down to whether it makes sense for you to wait.

You've driven your Prius T-6 for 7 years, so I'm guessing it's 7 years old. It'll probably be in good condition for another 3 years. So the savings from buying the Tesla are just the savings on gasoline. If you don't drive very many miles per year, the savings on gasoline will not be enough to make up for the added upfront cost of getting it early. (If you drive a whole lot, of course, it's different.)

Of course, you may decide it's worth $30K to get the car sooner, but I suggest you sit down and work out exactly how much you're paying to get the car now rather than buying a used model next year or a model 3 two years from now. That's your impatience premium.

Once you've calculated the difference in cost (after subtracting fuel savings!) of buying a modest Model S 90D now (for where you live, you want to get the range, don't get the P), or buying a similar used model S in a year or two (knock off 10% for depreciation, but keep track of the lack of tax credit), or buying a model 3 in two years (again, keep track of the lack of tax credit).... then you'll know approximately how much you're spending to get the car in a hurry. You can then decide whether it's worth it or not. It's hard to decide whether it's a worthwhile luxury to get the car earlier when you haven't put a dollar amount on the cost.

Last edited:
I don't know that the fuel savings is that much of a selling point to someone who previously drove a Prius. At the very least, the difference won't be all that dramatic. With gas prices around $2.50, I'm spending about 5 cents per miles in the Prius, while I spend 3 cents per mile in the Nissan Leaf (13 cents per kWh for me). Seeing a range of ranges among Tesla owners, let's call it 3.25 miles per kWh and call it 4 cents per mile where I live. That's not an earth shattering difference even over a year. Now if you're coming from an SUV that costs at least 16 cents per mile, OK, sure, the fuel savings are enormous. I like to put that number on America's prime symbol of excess and pretentiousness, the Cadillac Escalade. :)

I don't know that the fuel savings is that much of a selling point to someone who previously drove a Prius. At the very least, the difference won't be all that dramatic. With gas prices around $2.50, I'm spending about 5 cents per miles in the Prius, while I spend 3 cents per mile in the Nissan Leaf (13 cents per kWh for me). Seeing a range of ranges among Tesla owners, let's call it 3.25 miles per kWh and call it 4 cents per mile where I live. That's not an earth shattering difference even over a year. Now if you're coming from an SUV that costs at least 16 cents per mile

My Model S gets about 2.5 cents per mile. The Prius about 5.5. No not earth shattering. But when combined with the convenience of not having to go to a filling station, the five star safety rating, not having a gas engine to maintain, etc. It makes a very compelling package.

I've been driving a 2002 Honda Accord V6 for the past 7 years, and I am now driving that car 75 miles round trip each day. It could probably last me another 3+ years, but I'm spending quite a bit on gas and maintenance now, almost more than the car is worth each year in gas alone. Before that I drove a 1995 Geo Prism (a.k.a Toyota Corolla) for 10 years. I drive my cars until they die or cost too much to maintain.

I had some of the same reservations you did, but after piles of reading/researching (a lot of that here, thanks everyone!) and a little bit of YOLO, I'll probably be ordering a S70D in the next few months after shuffling some finances around. Working on getting a test drive set up now, but it's a little difficult to do that here in Michigan. :mad:

I'm sure I'll get noticed a bit more than others might as I work for an automotive industry supplier in the Detroit Metro area. I kinda hope people (especially those in the industry) take notice in some ways.

I've been driving a 2002 Honda Accord V6 for the past 7 years, and I am now driving that car 75 miles round trip each day. It could probably last me another 3+ years, but I'm spending quite a bit on gas and maintenance now, almost more than the car is worth each year in gas alone. Before that I drove a 1995 Geo Prism (a.k.a Toyota Corolla) for 10 years. I drive my cars until they die or cost too much to maintain.

I had some of the same reservations you did, but after piles of reading/researching (a lot of that here, thanks everyone!) and a little bit of YOLO, I'll probably be ordering a S70D in the next few months after shuffling some finances around. Working on getting a test drive set up now, but it's a little difficult to do that here in Michigan. :mad:

I'm sure I'll get noticed a bit more than others might as I work for an automotive industry supplier in the Detroit Metro area. I kinda hope people (especially those in the industry) take notice in some ways.

Exciting. Hope you'll keep us posted on how your auto industry comrades feel about the car. My guess is overtly positive.