Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla in Japan - what they don’t explain well or at all

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is for those looking to buy a Tesla in Japan and to explain a few ‘surprises‘ you may encounter as the information provided online by Tesla is vague to say the least.

Pricing - as we all know Tesla has pricing that goes up and down like a rollercoaster but once you pay your deposit it is locked in. In addition to the price of the car, they disclose there is an additional charge of JPY100,000 for registration. This has nothing to do with normal registration costs you will find an other Japanese dealers, it is just a straight up charge for their bottom line. You can expect the additional charges in the image below. The JPY99,999.99 is for the aformentioned admin charge:
02BA6DCF-3BF6-4348-ACDD-FF8881EBB06F.jpeg

So, there will be at least an additional charge of JPY85,880 added to your final invoice that does not show up on your initial order amount. Be prepared for these that they will spring on you come the time of the final invoice.

But wait, there are more costs…. I am sure many will watch YouTube videos reviews and all of them from overseas show the Mobile Connector that comes with the car, but not in Japan….it is an additional charge of JPY31,200! This became an extra charge from April 2021. Seriously, who sells an electrical product without a charge cable, baffling.

Now the widest charging network in Japan uses CHAdeMO, and until November 20th, 2021 Tesla provided this with your order but no longer do. They did not announce this or tell their customers, that had to be found out by customers recently during delivery or through their own research online. Add another JPY51,100 to your order if you plan on traveling anywhere away from home.

The J1172 adapter, also included in other markets, is an extra charge of JPY11,000 or so too.

So buyers beware, you will inccure about JPY180,000 in addition to the ordinal amount you thought you would be paying.

Also, if you get a Tesla home charger, you‘re looking at 61,000 plus a min. construction set up cost of 50,000 to 100,000.

I hope this helps some and saves you the surprise costs during the process. I sure hope ownership goes smoother for me cause the ordering process has been down right aggravating. Tesla management also has been quite unapologetic, they just say that is the way it is. Take it or leave it.

A shout out though to my advisor, Fujiwara san at Itabashi Tesla. He has helped faciliate the process in English and I appreciate his efforts. Hopefully though, Tesla Japan improves the information they provide so customers have a more pleasant purchase experience.

they disclose there is an additional charge of JPY100,000 for registration
Isn't that 100k part of them doing the shaken?

Seriously, who sells an electrical product without a charge cable, baffling.
Well, most high-end phones now come without a charger... they're copying them being 'brave'. Honestly, f-that. Should at least get the J1172 adapter. I got a nissan leaf 200v charge cable from mercari for 15k.

I think the chademo cable is due to an update, hence they don't give them anymore. Not sure if I'm going to buy one after they come back in store.

My tesla advisor doesn't get a shoutout, can't speak any english, no we can't have a translator, no you can't swap it. Forgets to reply me for 12 days at a critical time so I had to call their office to nudge him, their website had the wrong financial information etc... list goes on.

Isn't that 100k part of them doing the shaken?

Well, most high-end phones now come without a charger... they're copying them being 'brave'. Honestly, f-that. Should at least get the J1172 adapter. I got a nissan leaf 200v charge cable from mercari for 15k.

I think the chademo cable is due to an update, hence they don't give them anymore. Not sure if I'm going to buy one after they come back in store.

My tesla advisor doesn't get a shoutout, can't speak any english, no we can't have a translator, no you can't swap it. Forgets to reply me for 12 days at a critical time so I had to call their office to nudge him, their website had the wrong financial information etc... list goes on.
Welcome to the forum!

100k is indeed the new car registration fee for the shaken, but in fact, Model 3s are homologated in Japan, so it's just Tesla's administration costs. However, note that you need to go to DMV to register the vehicle by yourself in most other countries. In Japan, when you get your car, your license plate is ready to go, and you can drive off on a trip. But, of course, that convenience comes with the cost...

Re; CHAdeMO adapter, you can ask them to get one. Tesla has a minimal number of adapters in stock, so they plan to sell it to customers who absolutely need one.

Apologies for all the spelling mistakes above, damn autocorrect on the phone. I wish this forum had an edit mode but I don't seem to be able to find it....

I've bought many cars in Japan, have never been charged like this for 'registration' as the dealers handle it and it is most likely built into the price for the car. This is Tesla Japan's way of separating that I guess for their books, it honestly comes across the wrong way for me compared to buying BMWs and Lexus in the past. IMO they should handle it the same way as other manufacturers do here to avoid confusion and angst.

I should have added that Tesla takes Tuesdays and Wednesdays off in Japan so don't expect any responses during those days.

Anyway, off to pick up my M3LR today. I truly hope the next stage of my 'Tesla Experience' goes better.

Apologies for all the spelling mistakes above, damn autocorrect on the phone. I wish this forum had an edit mode but I don't seem to be able to find it....

I've bought many cars in Japan, have never been charged like this for 'registration' as the dealers handle it and it is most likely built into the price for the car. This is Tesla Japan's way of separating that I guess for their books, it honestly comes across the wrong way for me compared to buying BMWs and Lexus in the past. IMO they should handle it the same way as other manufacturers do here to avoid confusion and angst.

I should have added that Tesla takes Tuesdays and Wednesdays off in Japan so don't expect any responses during those days.

Anyway, off to pick up my M3LR today. I truly hope the next stage of my 'Tesla Experience' goes better.
You should have an edit button below your post,as displayed below but it times out and disappears after a set period of time.
1646884797533.png

Reactions: sagamidaiM3
I was literally shocked to know the mobile connector is not included. I couldn't believe it.
Since my wife is taking care of the ordering process, I kept telling her she must have misunderstood or something.
If they raised the price 30,000¥ beforehand including the connector I wouldn't even notice.

Seriously, Tesla.