Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla in Michigan, 2016 vs 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I bought our first Telsa, a Model X, in Michigan when it first came out in 2016. Because it's Michigan, we had to take an overnight trip down to Cleveland Ohio to pick it up. Tesla paid for a rental loaner and we have a nice overnight stay and great diner in Cleveland. We visited Ralphie's house from "A Christmas Story" and did a little sight-seeing before picking up the car. We took delivery, signed papers and drove back home without ever having sat in a Tesla before. I had to jump through some hoops to register the vehicle and get a license plate, but it was pretty painless.

Today, we just picked up a Model Y performance. We placed the order a couple weeks ago online and were contacted about one with the exact specs already available. We financed again with Alliant since I already had an account. Again, since we're in Michigan, the vehicle has to be paid for in full before crossing the border for delivery so with a combination of financing and cash, we easily handled it all online. We had loads of time to inspect the vehicle during the touchless delivery. I found two small paint chips on the rear passenger door sill and the 60% second row seat couldn't recline. Tesla Clarkston touched up the paint and found a slightly loose connector preventing the recline. Everything, I mean everything, else is perfect about the car. Perfect paint (one light surface swirls that will be corrected), perfect panel gaps, no missing connectors, perfect assembly. I'm not ultra critical to build quality, but nothing jumped out at me. I did run through a few delivery checklists, which helped catch the paint and seat issue. I've read complaints about ear pain, excess road noise, and harsh suspension, but experienced none of it. For reference, we traded in a 2009 RAV4 sport, I daily drive the Model X, and her fun car is an Audi TTRS, so we have a good range of suspension feels. There were 8 or 9 other vehicles awaiting pick up, all Model 3's and Y's. This one came with the updated console, heated steering wheel, and updated headlamps. There was already a license plate attached to the car when we picked it up so no extra trip to the Secretary of State is needed.

The difference in both purchasing and tech in 4 years is amazing. My Model X is an AP1 and the new hardware, autopilot, and driving visualizations are amazing. I have a Cybertruck reserved with plans to replace the Model X when it comes out. I'm still a bit on the fence due to the overall size, but we need more space for family trips and lumber hauling. Michigan still has a bit of a way to go before they'll let Tesla sell completely in state, but it's nearly seamless in its current process.

20210331_123427.jpg

Just picked mine up two weeks ago and I'm from Michigan. Unfortunately I drive to Cleveland by choice so I found get it on Friday instead of Tuesday in Clarkston. Planned on applying ppf and would rather have the weekend to do it but was happy to learn a lot of the Michigan problems have been resolved.

We got a quote for ppf from Motor City Autospa in Royal Oak. It's where I got the full front end done on my Model X. They quoted $1599 for the full front or $5600 for the full car on the Model Y. That includes wash, clay, and polish on affected areas. I've read the Model Y has issues with road rash on the lower read door panels that can be mitigated with mudflaps, so maybe we'll just get the full front, mudflaps and Tesla door protection pieces or something.

Just found another oddity for MI residents: only financing through Alliant Credit Union allows for delivery in MI. Leasing and financing through Tesla‘s finance source required delivery in Cleveland. So backward.
Yeah you have to use your own financing to pick up in MI, can be cash or a loan from anyone but under their loan program. Genisys gives 1.87% if you do direct deposit with them.

The Clarkston center had everything ready for me when I got there, a new plate and registration waiting. I was so confused with the financing, I just ended up paying cash. I was surprised since everyone outside of MI claims it’s so much better than a dealership, didn’t realize Michigan is such a pain in the butt.
Another negative is the gas tax you have to pay every year since you aren’t buying gas.

I went with Alliant in 2016 for my Model X and again for the Model Y. They have some kind of partnership with Tesla, especially in Michigan, which makes the weird car transfer and loan process easy. The rate is good enough that I'm not bothered to hunt for slightly lower rate, just to save the headache. The gas tax/electric vehicle registration tax is annoying, especially in light of the pandemic. I barely drove at all last year but paid full road usage on the registration. If it was a gas car, I would have paid less tax at the pump. I wish you had the option to have the road tax collected by the utility company if you have a separate EV meter. It would be more on par to a pump tax and more accurate to driving habits.

Patiently waiting for my first Tesla from the Clarkston location. I worked with Joe, we ordered the Model Y LR AWD for my wife and myself, we're at almost $900 a month in gas with all of our driving and 14-16 MPG in our cars so we're really looking forward to charging instead of fueling! Thanks for this thread, I know it's different than a dealership but the financing has been a bit weird. SA told me to get a pre approval, which I did through Genisys but they only last for 30 days and with my delivery pushed back to Aug 15 we're going to have to re run my credit, no big deal but I'm going to look into Alliant as well since I have to reapply either way. Beautiful garage, thanks for this thread!

Patiently waiting for my first Tesla from the Clarkston location. I worked with Joe, we ordered the Model Y LR AWD for my wife and myself, we're at almost $900 a month in gas with all of our driving and 14-16 MPG in our cars so we're really looking forward to charging instead of fueling! Thanks for this thread, I know it's different than a dealership but the financing has been a bit weird. SA told me to get a pre approval, which I did through Genisys but they only last for 30 days and with my delivery pushed back to Aug 15 we're going to have to re run my credit, no big deal but I'm going to look into Alliant as well since I have to reapply either way. Beautiful garage, thanks for this thread!
Are you leasing? We are ordering a Y and want to lease. Not clear on who I can lease from in Michigan and also get delivery in clarkston

Are you leasing? We are ordering a Y and want to lease. Not clear on who I can lease from in Michigan and also get delivery in clarkston
I'm purchasing, we have a 2016 4runner that's paid off and still worth basically what we paid for it with 60k miles so I'm private selling that and using it as a down payment should be almost 60% of the purchase price and financing the rest. I'll have a lower payment than the 4runner with no gas and minimal maintenance I'm looking forward to it!