Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla S when you live "in the middle of nowhere" ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched but couldn't find a thread on this.

I live in central Virginia -- we don't even have Lexus or Infiniti dealer within an hour's drive (Richmond) -- DC will likely be the closest Tesla "dealer"/service center -- that's 1.5-2 hrs away.

Will the Rangers come help with problems? Or will I be stuck getting the car to DC? I assume for regular maintenance it's on me, but I'm more concerned about problems. What about delivery -- do I have to pick the car up in DC, or will Tesla bring it to me?

I'm not quite in the middle of nowhere, but ~2 hours to the nearest service center any time soon will certainly put me at a disadvantage. Just wondering what others thoughts are on this.

Thanks!
Scott

You'll want the Ranger service. If you buy the 4-year "anywhere" service plan then Ranger service is included.

Incidentally, I live 4 hours from the nearest Tesla service, and have been using Ranger service for a couple of years now. Wonderful experience.

I'm very much in the middle of nowhere. The closest Tesla dealer to me will be in St.Louis--a solid 3 hours away. As Doug said, the full ranger service maintenance package is definitely the way to go. I'm also hanging onto my Prius as an emergency backup vehicle in case of issues and lack of access to the ranger for a day or two, or if it has to be shipped to a repair center for an extended time. This is purely paranoid over cautious behavior. I did the same when I first bought my Prius and held onto my Ford Expedition for a couple of years...killed 2 12 volt batteries in the Ford due to disuse. Will probably end up with similar issues with my Prius.

You better make sure you use the Prius a little more to keep all of the batteries ok!

Yea, I will. Hoping my wife will make it her daily driver...but even if she does we'll have similar issues with her Highlander Hybrid. We're pretty familiar with the battery issue, managed to keep the car alive during a 9 month sabbatical a couple years ago.

I live in central Virginia -- we don't even have Lexus or Infiniti dealer within an hour's drive (Richmond) -- DC will likely be the closest Tesla "dealer"/service center -- that's 1.5-2 hrs away.

Hi Scott, welcome! Glad to see another Virginian looking at the Model S!

If it makes you feel better, I'm in Smithfield (Hampton Roads), so you're an hour closer than me. You are far from the middle of nowhere. *I* don't even consider myself to be the middle of nowhere. Ranger service ought to be perfect for you. I also think that in a few years you'll be fairly close to a Tesla Supercharger site expected on I-95. That's a plus!

Incidentally, I live 4 hours from the nearest Tesla service, and have been using Ranger service for a couple of years now. Wonderful experience.

Doug, where were the Rangers actually dispatched from to get to you? Curious to know, now that the Toronto (Mississauga) Service Center is open, if they'll be dispatched from there. I understand the service is great, but those Rangers must log a lot of wheel time getting around to clients!

Being remote is NOT an issue. I am 400 miles from the nearest center and have had no issues with my Roadster. I had two annual servicings once from Miami and once out of Chicago. Then i had a warranty program and they have a new center in Atlanta 300 miles so they came from there. A delay is likely as schedules need toto be coordinateda but the service outstanding.

Doug, where were the Rangers actually dispatched from to get to you? Curious to know, now that the Toronto (Mississauga) Service Center is open, if they'll be dispatched from there. I understand the service is great, but those Rangers must log a lot of wheel time getting around to clients!

Yes, Mark and Eli (and before them Dustin) have been driving up from Toronto to service my Roadster. They were doing that long before they even had their own service center.

As to whether it is practical... Absolutely yes! I've been using Ranger service for 2-1/2 years with my Roadster, and I'm a solid 4 hour drive from the service center.

Here's the 4.4 mile trek from my house (not exact location :smile:) to my nearest Service Center:

ScreenShot001.jpg

...sorry guys, couldn't help rubbing it in :tongue:

Accident

So, what happens if one is in an accident and needs significant repairs? I thought I read that rangers could only do a limited subset of repairs.

I find it hard to believe my insurance company is going to ship my car 800km to be repaired...

It's $100 per visit (roundtrip total cost regardless of distance) and the $2,400 4 year plan has unlimited Ranger visits. I'd definitely go for that since you live so far away. It used to be $1/mile so this new plan is much better.

Hey Dave, didn't Tesla say that the $600/yr is discounted to $four-something if you do 4 years at one time, in addition to the free rangers?