TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buying A Tesla S85 from Montreal, bringing it back to Vancouver - help...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by usa9910, May 14, 2018.

1. usa9910

usa9910 Member

Hello folks,

Looking at buying a Tesla model S from Montreal and having it "shipped" to Vancouver BC. Would I pay the taxes when i insure the vehicle with ICBC? Im guessing 15% tax rate? Do i have to get the vehicle inspected? anything else I need to know?

2. harry

harry Member

Well, don't let Montreal collect the sales tax if you are going to register the car in another Province. They did that (over our strenuous objections) on the last Model S we bought there, and it took months to get it straightened out. Tesla claimed they collected Quebec taxes and then we were to apply to get them back when we registered the car at its final home. Tesla did not, in fact, remit the taxes to Quebec revenue, and Quebec Revenue explained that there was no way Tesla could do so, since the tax collection is part of QR's registration process (license plates, title recording, etc.). Tesla Fremont eventually refunded the money to us, but it was clear that Montreal was totally confused about what they were doing in this area.

3. NovaWood

NovaWood Member

I did that a few years ago with a non-Tesla: Bought in Quebec and registered in another province. The sales tax was paid at the time of registration in the other province. (IIRC, I had a tire tax or surcharge to pay, too.)

4. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

I would be glad to drive it there for you. FREE

• Like x 2
  5. usa9910

usa9910 Member

what about vehicle inspection? did you have to get it inspected before you could register it here?

6. NovaWood

NovaWood Member

That sounds right. I had a temporary registration provided by the dealer in Montreal and it was good for something like 14 days.