Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla with quietest cabin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Proposal : The best Tesla to buy if you need quietest cabin is the 2017 Model S with metal roof due to the insulation. Does anyone else agree?

My Model 3 is loud at highway speeds, it's bothersome and I can't hear the nuances of many types of music. It's not serene. My previous 2001 Lexus and 2000 Subaru were much better at 80mph with cabin noise, but both had metal roofs with fabric/insulation.

I just test drove 4 Teslas including two Model S, and the 2017 Model S with metal roof had the quietest cabin with best sounding music (it had base audio system). The cabin was quieter than the 2020 Model S with glass roof I drove last week and quieter than Model Y. In the 2017, it was soooo comforting and relaxing to be in a car that quiet again since selling my Lexus in 2018. I had genuinely forgotten how good it was.

I'm sensitive to road noise and want quiet and serenity from Tesla. Model 3, Model Y, Model X have glass roof near driver ears, so I think it will be too loud at 80mph. Model S had option for metal roof with insulation until around May 2017.

So if I want quiet/serene cabin (first priority) and also newer Tesla tech, should I get a Nov2016 to April 2017 Model S to replace my Model 3? I'm OK with slower charging and less range and worse windshield view from seating position. Any advice is appreciated!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I just picked up my 2021 LR+ Raven with the glass roof and can tell you it is probably the quietest tesla you can buy. The addition of the new Raven suspension has reduced NVH a lot! I would definitely check that the 2020 you drove was a Raven or not. Its almost Audi level quiet

• Informative
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Believe the quietest Tesla will be when they are allowed to replace the side view mirrors with cameras, plus dual pain side windows.

There are also production variables with Tesla, so some with identical configurations are quieter than others.

My latest Raven Model X is much quieter than my previous 75X. (Stereo much better as well).

Sounds like you're on the right track with the metal roof, though you should really confirm tires were the same as others have recommended.

I would also budget for sound damping material on any car you get. It's not that expensive if you do the job yourself, and the results are nice, especially for improving the stereo, which should also be upgraded IMO, regardless of whether you get the UHFS or not.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I'm proposing that the glass roof is a large, long, wide, heavy item that is reflecting sound. The metal roof is covered with insulation that also acts as sound-deadening material. I'm thinking that when both cars are built to normal spec, the roof with the insulating material will always be quieter. The 2017 felt like a cocoon, all noises were deadened immediately. The music sounded so much different. Every other Tesla I've driven in had glass roof. Some points:
- Many have said that Raven Teslas have improved their insulation quite a bit. I believe that. But alas, all Ravens have glass roof.
- I think suspension and tires and aftermarket items can make smaller differences, but a massive insulated roof will be a much more dramatic change. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to tires during the test drives.

The Raven I drove was definitely smooth and refined, but the 2017 with metal roof was on another higher level of quietness.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I have 2017 MS with a full glass roof. I made a full roof cover made of sound deadening foam and black felt, with purpose of improving in-car acoustics, two summers ago.

I thought it probably made a difference, but I did many other things to deadening around the same time. Later, I took it away for a test drive so some little backseat Tesla fans could see the sky. However, I didn’t notice a difference in road noise or audio anymore.

I wouldn’t trust subjective evaluation too much, as it is too easy to get confirmation biased. Like pointed out earlier, tires make a bigger difference in road noise than a medium level deadening project. Removing sound at its source, e.g. road contact and suspension transmitting vibration, is the most potent way to reduce noise. I’m not denying what you have experienced, but just adding my experience.

I rode in a friend's 2015 Model S with the metal roof. I didn't find it particularly that quiet, but probably because I am coming from a Lexus LS 430 and LS 460. I can definitely relate to OP's pursuit of a quiet cabin as those are one of the hallmarks of Lexus and the brand really hit their stride between the 2001-2006 model years.

That said, as a Lexus loyalist for over 20 years, ride quality was also paramount on my list of requirements and the primary reason why I went with a Raven S over the pre-Raven. The Ravens (S and X, starting May 2019), have a much smoother air suspension and soaks up road irregularities better, providing a quieter ride despite the all-glass roof. Our Raven S is not as quiet as previous Lexuses, but it isn't significantly louder to me. I have casually measured it at 3 dB difference, which is enough to detect a difference but not roaring loud. Keep in mind, I have the EXACT same Pirelli P7+ 245/45/R19 tires on the Raven S as I did on our LS 460, so I can take the tires out of the equation. The reason I chose the Pirelli P7+ is due to its proven quietness and rave reviews from the ClubLexus forum. However, on a Model S, I wish the Pirellis had more grip so I will be trying something else next time, even though the P7+ provided what I asked for -- a smooth and quiet ride. To OP, I think you just need to turn up the music, although the Tesla sound system(s) are nowhere as good as the Nakamichi/Mark Levinson systems from Lexus.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of sound dampening throughout my model 3 and reduced the noise a lot, but the absolute best thing I did was switch my tires to Vredestein Quatrac Pro ultra performance all seasons. Handling is superb in snow, rain, ice and dry and the tires are dead silent. I was averaging 70-75db at highway speeds before doing anything. After soundproofing I got it down to 64-70db. Once I put the Vredestein tires on I was amazed as the car is like a Mercedes S class now and I am seeing 58-66db at 120kmh. I couldn't be happier!

I've done a lot of sound dampening throughout my model 3 and reduced the noise a lot, but the absolute best thing I did was switch my tires to Vredestein Quatrac Pro ultra performance all seasons. Handling is superb in snow, rain, ice and dry and the tires are dead silent. I was averaging 70-75db at highway speeds before doing anything. After soundproofing I got it down to 64-70db. Once I put the Vredestein tires on I was amazed as the car is like a Mercedes S class now and I am seeing 58-66db at 120kmh. I couldn't be happier!

That is great to hear. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro was the next tire I was considering. Either that or a set of the latest runflats. I know, I know, but newer RFTs supposedly don't compromise ride or road noise as much as before and I'm willing to test it out.

That is great to hear. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro was the next tire I was considering. Either that or a set of the latest runflats. I know, I know, but newer RFTs supposedly don't compromise ride or road noise as much as before and I'm willing to test it out.

I've had Michelin, Conti, Bridgestone and was hesitant to try the Vredestein as I'd never heard of them. But once I took my first mountain drive I was sold. I went out and bought a second set for my wife a few days later. I have spent a ton on mods for my car and done floor, doors, sub trunk, wheel wells and nearly every soundproofing you can imagine (cost a fortune). The tires made the biggest difference. Significantly quieter than even the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S from Tesla with the acoustic foam. I then took them into the Swiss alps alone to test them during a big snowstorm and was very pleased. There are other threads on this forum about them and they are quite popular in Europe but fairly new to the US. Tire Rack has a very good review on them as well. Just be aware that the Quatrac 5 is the older version and the Quatrac Pro is the newer and only available in larger sizes from 17-21 inches. I'm running them on my 20 inch Brixtons with 245*35 front and 275*30 rear and even with the wider contact patch they are super quiet! I seriously didn't think I'd ever be so excited about something so simple like tires. But after all my struggles to quiet my car down I can't emphasize it enough.

I'm proposing that the glass roof is a large, long, wide, heavy item that is reflecting sound. The metal roof is covered with insulation that also acts as sound-deadening material. I'm thinking that when both cars are built to normal spec, the roof with the insulating material will always be quieter. The 2017 felt like a cocoon, all noises were deadened immediately. The music sounded so much different. Every other Tesla I've driven in had glass roof. Some points:
- Many have said that Raven Teslas have improved their insulation quite a bit. I believe that. But alas, all Ravens have glass roof.
- I think suspension and tires and aftermarket items can make smaller differences, but a massive insulated roof will be a much more dramatic change. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to tires during the test drives.

The Raven I drove was definitely smooth and refined, but the 2017 with metal roof was on another higher level of quietness.

disagree. Tires can be a HUGE factor in cabin noise

Overall the glass roof is great! For more headroom, light, and view from back seat. And ease of manufacturing.
But the metal/insulated roof can be great too! For sound deadening, and less chance of air leaks where the glass is sealed.

The experience in the quiet cabin with metal roof was so luxurious and different than the other Teslas I drove, that I'm going to invest in a Turo rental for 2 days, so I can experience it the whole day.
My current feeling is:
- If Biden brings back $7500 tax credit, then I'm getting a 2021 Model S refresh with $10,000 off the price (California incentives too) for maybe $62K with Raven suspension and 100kw battery. Basic autopilot. Includes 4 year warranty. Glass roof.
- If no federal tax credit, then I'm getting a mid-2016 or early-2017 Model S 75D with metal roof and air suspension and 1-year warranty. This will be around $43K with FSD or $39K with AP1, based on listings I just saw from tesla.com .
Add $2800 for MCU2 upgrade with tax.