Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla with the intent to sell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we all would agree that the market will ultimately decided what the "fair market value" is of the car. If you are able to get what you are asking for it, then the market will have done exactly what it should do - pair a buyer and a seller together. I think the responses you have gotten so far is merely the active thoughts that will go on in the marketplace when it comes to determining if what you are asking for is the fair value of the car. Good luck.

The "limited" nature of the Signature series is relatively bogus, I'd hope we can all agree. They are making as many cars as they can sell (oh the sheer greed of it!). The Signature Series buys you nothing more than a jump in the line, a choice of red and a word on the back and for that you get to pay about $4K-7K (more greed on our dear Tesla's part!). Let's not act like the Model S is a limited resource. Again, thanks for the good wishes from most of you.

There's nothing funny by saying Tesla is being greedy.

Tesla is NOT being greedy.

Elon is running a BUSINESS, you are taking advantage of the Tesla name and his work.

And he has a $500,000,000 loan to repay.

Do you?

Model S Signature is a limited resource.

The Signature series is a limited resource for a reason. Elon and Tesla have made the decision to charge more for the exclusivity of owning the car before others and also having it configured with some options not available in the other configurations. He has every right to charge a "fair" price for this exclusivity. Equally, we as customers have the right to pay or not to pay for that exclusivity of owning such a car.

What many have expressed is an uneasiness about someone profiteering additionally off of the exclusivity of the Signature.

Rather than mince words, I'll call it what it is - morally distastefully. Harsh words, yes, but I think this situation is doing a disservice to Tesla and all who are trying to make the company and their products a success.

I think someone having 1 slot on the Signature list isn't really a reason to say some other poor soul lost out. The signature list has sat wide open for YEARS. Those poor souls had plenty of time to jump in. This guy took a risk investing early and is coming to collect on it. If we wanna feel bad for people, let's feel bad for those who plunked down 5k 3 years ago who are getting skipped by the doubters and newcomers who plunked down an additional 35k.

If what he's doing is so wrong, the market should respond in kind and he should be stuck with a car.

There is a difference between investing in something and speculating in something. If there is anything we should have learned from the last several years is that there is a big difference between the two and the harsh consequences that may arise from going into a transaction thinking it is an investment versus speculation. Enough of the pontificating... I still have trust in the "invisible hand" of the marketplace in determining whether or not $150k is reasonable.

The "limited" nature of the Signature series is relatively bogus, I'd hope we can all agree. They are making as many cars as they can sell (oh the sheer greed of it!). The Signature Series buys you nothing more than a jump in the line, a choice of red and a word on the back and for that you get to pay about $4K-7K (more greed on our dear Tesla's part!). Let's not act like the Model S is a limited resource. Again, thanks for the good wishes from most of you.

You have every right to do what you're doing but I'm curious. Why would you lock yourself into the car if you had no intention of keeping the car if you can't sell it at the profit you're looking for? Or maybe you do plan to keep the Signature if it doesn't pan out. I realize you have a second Model S on order you can cancel if your sales doesn't go through.

There's nothing funny by saying Tesla is being greedy.

Tesla is NOT being greedy.

Elon is running a BUSINESS, you are taking advantage of the Tesla name and his work.

And he has a $500,000,000 loan to repay.

Do you?

Model S Signature is a limited resource.

Should add ... that when I say he is running a business ... one can argue everyone is ... but Tesla is an unconventional one.

99.9% of businesses are ho-hum. Tesla and Elon's passion is driving a (hopefully successful) business that is changing the world for the better.

VERY few can claim that.

And while we know little about his inner dealings over the years and whom he "pissed-off" climbing the ladder, his personal life, etc., I have tremendous respect, admiration and "trust"* that the man is really "into this" equally for the good of our surroundings and for his shareholders. (*I trust no one! :))

I am proud to be a reservation holder.

And am glad to wait a year for any kinks to be worked out.

And like others, yes, I feel like you are doing a disservice to the Tesla brand and uniqueness (company not car).

I'm done!

Last edited:
Elon and Tesla have made the decision to charge more for the exclusivity of owning the car before others and also having it configured with some options not available in the other configurations. He has every right to charge a "fair" price for this exclusivity.

As do I. I'm baffled by those that seem to feel Tesla is a non-profit and I'm Mr. Monopoly. So do you feel your home builder has a right to make a fat profit but if you re-sell your home at a profit, you're greedy? What in the world do you see as the difference? As for feeling any guilt over Elon's financial situation... yikes. Once again Elon himself suggested flipping the car so if you're so wildly offended by the notion, just know that he isn't.

And I will once again point out that I can't get "stuck" with the car. If the market decides it's not worth the premium, I will be extremely happy if not overjoyed in keeping it.

As do I. I'm baffled by those that seem to feel Tesla is a non-profit and I'm Mr. Monopoly. So do you feel your home builder has a right to make a fat profit but if you re-sell your home at a profit, you're greedy? What in the world do you see as the difference? As for feeling any guilt over Elon's financial situation... yikes. Once again Elon himself suggested flipping the car so if you're so wildly offended by the notion, just know that he isn't.

And I will once again point out that I can't get "stuck" with the car. If the market decides it's not worth the premium, I will be extremely happy if not overjoyed in keeping it.
Tesla is a business selling a product with preset rules of engagement governed by rules and laws to protect the consumer. You are an opportunist looking to make a profit off of the hype and desperation of consumers.

I never claimed what you're doing is wrong, or illegal. But I think it's selfish and greedy and unethical.
You're gonna do what you want to do, but don't expect everyone to pat you on the back and say you're a good guy for doing it.

Look, I'm not saying he's doing anything illegal or technically wrong, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth still from dealers marking up early Gen II Prii by $5000 and more just because they could. Lots of people were angered at the dealers and those memories of unfair treatment persist.

Right. The dealer that I took delivery from was mad at me because the Pioneer Program didn't let them jack up the price. A big reason for getting the Model S is so that I don't have to purchase from a Toyota dealer (and the Nissan dealers don't seem any better).

Tesla is a business selling a product with preset rules of engagement governed by rules and laws to protect the consumer. You are an opportunist looking to make a profit off of the hype and desperation of consumers.

I never claimed what you're doing is wrong, or illegal. But I think it's selfish and greedy and unethical.
You're gonna do what you want to do, but don't expect everyone to pat you on the back and say you're a good guy for doing it.

I don't feel I was unethical to make a profit when I sold the last two houses. The original builder didn't get a cent. I don't feel it was selfish or greedy, either. I could have easily lost money on those deals. But I'm getting the feeling you would think I'm unethical, greedy, and selfish for doing so.

How long would he have to hold the car before he was allowed to sell it for a profit? Or is that unacceptable, too? I don't get all the emotion over this. No one is forcing someone to pay a premium. Anyone could put down a deposit and get in line.

Tesla is a business selling a product with preset rules of engagement governed by rules and laws to protect the consumer.

So am I. Get it? Efusco, enough with the name calling. I'm happy to have others read our posts and decide their merrits. But I'll point out that I didn't ask for your approval let alone a pat on the back.. I posted a for sale post in a for sale section and you attacked me personally (yes, I take "selfish, greedy and unethical" as personal attacks"), repeatedly and with poor reasoning. Move on.

There super wealthy think nothing of 100,000 dollars. If Red can scalp the car to someone who decided to jump on the Tesla bandwagon late in the game then both parties are happy.

If he is not able to sell it. I'll take it at 50K off-list. :)

Ok, this has to stop. I couldn't even read though all the whining in this thread and I frown heavily upon what sound like personal attacks.

As long as no laws or Tesla sales agreements are being broken here, I don't see the problem. You may not like it, and you are free to express that, but having done so there is no need to repeat yourself or start name calling.

The problem I see with this is someone is selling something they do not even have...The OP should be required to show moderators proof that he is indeed a signature holder and has configured his vehicle etc. Anyone can post a classified for a future item that they may or may not procure, I think the "Tesla Cars For Sale" forum should prohibit the speculative "future" sale of automobiles. If the OP physically had the vehicle and was trying to ask 50k that is one thing, not having a car and marking up the vehicle could lead to a bad situation. I am not sure what Tesla Motors Club has to gain from allowing "future" automobile sales, if this deal ends up going sideways, the reputation of this forum could be tarnished significantly.

The problem I see with this is someone is selling something they do not even have...The OP should be required to show moderators proof that he is indeed a signature holder and has configured his vehicle etc. Anyone can post a classified for a future item that they may or may not procure, I think the "Tesla Cars For Sale" forum should prohibit the speculative "future" sale of automobiles. If the OP physically had the vehicle and was trying to ask 50k that is one thing, not having a car and marking up the vehicle could lead to a bad situation. I am not sure what Tesla Motors Club has to gain from allowing "future" automobile sales, if this deal ends up going sideways, the reputation of this forum could be tarnished significantly.

You mean we have members here who are not adult enough to realize that they alone are responsible for any offline activities regardless of where initiated?

Come on, I think everyone here understands the deal. This isn't the first such post here, and anyone with the money to entertain this sale likely has enough sense to understand the risks and take appropriate precautions. The mods aren't nannies.

You mean we have members here who are not adult enough to realize that they alone are responsible for any offline activities regardless of where initiated?

Come on, I think everyone here understands the deal. This isn't the first such post here, and anyone with the money to entertain this sale likely has enough sense to understand the risks and take appropriate precautions. The mods aren't nannies.

I am not talking about this deal in particular...once the precedent has been set, I can see this forum being inundated with "Future" Model S Vehicles for sale... I ask the question why not limit this forum to Vehicles for Sale that are physically present? One deal goes bad and this forum is tarnished forever. Better to stop it now and just allow "real" vehicle sales. What is the upside of allowing these types of postings?