Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used, 100,000 mile Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing really to worry about degrading will be the battery, it would be good to see the range estimate for 100% (you can toggle range and % by clicking, then work out what 100% will be. It will have originally been 310 miles, I would expect it to be > 270, anything much less may be an issue. Another thing to consider is the max SuperCharging speed, Tesla ramp this down if its been SuperCharged a lot, harder to measure though.
I wonder if there are any 2020 models with free SCs?

I don't think there has ever been a Model 3 in the UK with free SC, it stopped before the Model 3 shipped in 2019. Very early Model 3's ordered in May 2019 do get lifetime connectivity included though.
And June but only due to a typing error on Tesla's part. They never intended that to be the case. And I bet it goes out the window if Tesla buy it back in part ex at any point.

Suspension parts, front and rear, failing at 20k miles. 380 cars currently waiting for rear suspension parts. Rear light condensation. Screens that stop working due to cracks that don't appear to be a result of impact. Rangers swapping out modems and other electronics when things aren't working correctly but are much more likely to be software issues. Rear camera failure due to wiring loom. Not relevant to this specific car but power boot struts. Trim rattles and creaks.

Tesla aren't bottom of all the car reliability surveys for no reason. But there are very few issues reported with the M3 battery and motors.

I had a 25K 2019 car and I never had any of those issues, one handbrake servo failure was my only problem.
Reading this though glad I sold it two months ago! Got £41.5K for it and now similar cars seem to be more like £32K looks like I may have jumped at the right moment!
Not to say the MY won't end up being worse depreciation wise in the long run but that is a steep drop in 2 months........

Thank you for everyones input.

It is between this and an MG4 at the moment, and there have been lots of complaints about the MG4 so not sure which to go with.
not sure what the MG issues are but I do know it has a good warrantee.
The Tesla has a lot more space and is a lot faster and probably cooler and has the SuC network if any of that stuff matters to you.
It just depends how you balance that against risk of an expensive issue to fix.
I still think you can get a a much lower mileage M3 for that Money in which case at least the battery and motor warrantee expiring will not be a problem for a few years and if its under 50K you still have the main warrantee for a while as well.
not sure how you are paying but have you considered a private sale? They may be better looked after than ex company cars. A lot of early owners really loved and looked after them? they still have a warrantee and not likely to be clocked or Stolen (can you even clock a Tesla??) so there is not really much risk from a private sale.

not sure what the MG issues are but I do know it has a good warrantee.
The Tesla has a lot more space and is a lot faster and probably cooler and has the SuC network if any of that stuff matters to you.
It just depends how you balance that against risk of an expensive issue to fix.
I still think you can get a a much lower mileage M3 for that Money in which case at least the battery and motor warrantee expiring will not be a problem for a few years and if its under 50K you still have the main warrantee for a while as well.
not sure how you are paying but have you considered a private sale? They may be better looked after than ex company cars. A lot of early owners really loved and looked after them? they still have a warrantee and not likely to be clocked or Stolen (can you even clock a Tesla??) so there is not really much risk from a private sale.
I would be looking to pay cash for the vehicle.

I would either be looking for a LR or a LFP SR. Looking at AutoTrader there aren't many other long ranges around this price.

It all depends on how risk averse you are, what you intend to use the car for and likely milage per year you will add. Providing all looks well looked after and your happy with the visual appearance and everything functions - a good test drive to identify any drivability issues (take a mechanic friend to test drive the car or have an AA/RAC comprehensive check) and If you can knock the price a little down then why not.
The big fear factor has got to be the motors and drivetrain - but as you have 20000 miles to go if your annual mileage is low then you could still get to year 8 with the warranty intact (Keep reading people type Warrantee - that relates to the person who has the Warranty - the warranty is the cover you have guaranteeing free from defects for x time and miles)

My car is a 2020 and just 7700 miles - so in my case 20000 left would provide me with the full 8 years. You can determine the degree of battery degradation and I believe Tesla state 30% reduction qualifies for a new battery under warranty, however, there are 12-year-old Tesla's with high mileages still returning 90% or more. Give the car a full 100% charge and read off the miles estimated before committing to purchase.

The 2020 M3 was the peak for perfection of the model 3 - production issues sorted, paint, panel gaps etc, the car also had lots of bits that were removed on later cars due to "Value engineering" - or to put it simply penny pinching,

I love my 2020 M3 and wouldn't touch a new M3 with a barge pole as the penny pinching has gone too far, the price is too high and so many functions just don't work too well, The 2019 cars? - going for a 2020 model - 4th quarter of 2019 and you will find some real beauties in the price range you are looking with reasonable mileages.

I would either be looking for a LR or a LFP SR. Looking at AutoTrader there aren't many other long ranges around this price.
always worth checking one which does not exclusively say it is LR but has "Dual Motor" badge at the rear.

Wouldn't be the very first time it is mislabeled :)

p.s. dual motor which is underlined is Performance ;)

I am not to worried about the risk on the vehicle, as if a major issue were to arise I would claim on my insurance (always protect your no claims!).

I think a lot of those listen on AutoTrader are way over valued, and with the excess stock Tesla has now in (or coming soon to) the UK then prices will have to drop. Couple that with majority of purchases on finance and Tesla's APR going up then I would hope they drop new prices soon.

how many are you looking to buy?

1669042389433.png

I am not to worried about the risk on the vehicle, as if a major issue were to arise I would claim on my insurance (always protect your no claims!).

I think a lot of those listen on AutoTrader are way over valued, and with the excess stock Tesla has now in (or coming soon to) the UK then prices will have to drop. Couple that with majority of purchases on finance and Tesla's APR going up then I would hope they drop new prices soon.
Different sort of risk.
Your insurance will not cover a new battery or motor if it fails

So far as the issue you raised is concerned, I've shown you what the rock bottom (WBAC) value of a 100,000 miles 2020 M3P is. Expect a M3LR to be less.
The cheapest 2020 LR on Autotrader is a private sale 102k mile asking £33,490. I think that's fantasy land. The next cheapest is a 43k miler asking £36,500 which, given the seller is openly showing us their number plate, WBAC would give £31,180. In your position I'd be tempted to offer that seller (a doctor, no less, as if that makes a difference) a quick grand over the WBAC price and see what happens. But if you dont mind buying a 100,000 mile car, fine: having said that, I don't understand how your insurance would pay for a risk arising from mechanical failure (unless you careened into something solid when a wheel fell off, for example). For mechanical piece of mind you need a warranty.
I also dont see how anyone thinks that at a time of rampant price inflation any manufacturer, particularly one still in demand, is going to drop its prices.

So far as the issue you raised is concerned, I've shown you what the rock bottom (WBAC) value of a 100,000 miles 2020 M3P is. Expect a M3LR to be less.
The cheapest 2020 LR on Autotrader is a private sale 102k mile asking £33,490. I think that's fantasy land. The next cheapest is a 43k miler asking £36,500 which, given the seller is openly showing us their number plate, WBAC would give £31,180. In your position I'd be tempted to offer that seller (a doctor, no less, as if that makes a difference) a quick grand over the WBAC price and see what happens. But if you dont mind buying a 100,000 mile car, fine: having said that, I don't understand how your insurance would pay for a risk arising from mechanical failure (unless you careened into something solid when a wheel fell off, for example). For mechanical piece of mind you need a warranty.
I also dont see how anyone thinks that at a time of rampant price inflation any manufacturer, particularly one still in demand, is going to drop its prices.
Tried £32,500 but Tesla are still offering very good trade in values above market.

The search continues!

Reactions: candida

If you haven't already done so, have a look on here tesla Info - this site aggregates ads from most sources including Autotrader, eBay, Piston Heads, Tesla themselves as well, etc.

Reactions: MrT3