Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used 2018 MX 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, gang,

Hope everyone is well.

As the subject line states, I am looking at 2018 100Ds. Looks like there are quite a few on the market now. This will be my first Tesla and wanted to gut check a few things with this crew:
  • Is MCU2 available on all 2018 models or is there a production/made after this date that I should be looking out for?
  • A local tesla dealer said warranties would not be transferred (there’s about 10 months left on the warranty), another dealer said warranty would be honored — hoping for the latter
  • Can I pay a tesla dealer to do a full check on the car to see if there are any known issues? Is there a secondary partner that anyone would recommend?
  • Any known issues for the 2018 model that I should check out/be on the look out for?
  • Can I pay to add on a multi-year warranty before the 4-year warranty expires?
Please share any other recommended reading or advice if you don’t mind.

Thank you!

pcnyc

Hey, gang,

Hope everyone is well.

As the subject line states, I am looking at 2018 100Ds. Looks like there are quite a few on the market now. This will be my first Tesla and wanted to gut check a few things with this crew:
  • Is MCU2 available on all 2018 models or is there a production/made after this date that I should be looking out for?
  • A local tesla dealer said warranties would not be transferred (there’s about 10 months left on the warranty), another dealer said warranty would be honored — hoping for the latter
  • Can I pay a tesla dealer to do a full check on the car to see if there are any known issues? Is there a secondary partner that anyone would recommend?
  • Any known issues for the 2018 model that I should check out/be on the look out for?
  • Can I pay to add on a multi-year warranty before the 4-year warranty expires?
Please share any other recommended reading or advice if you don’t mind.

Thank you!

pcnyc
Some answers

- MCU2 appeared in late March 2018
- Warranty should transfer. Free Supercharging will not transfer unless it is a private party sale. Tesla will remove it.
- My 2018 had no major issues.
- Check with Tesla on the warranty extension.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Anything manufacturer April 2018 or later. MCU2 first appeared in March 2018 but it's possible to get a car made in early March with MCU1.

A local tesla dealer said warranties would not be transferred (there’s about 10 months left on the warranty), another dealer said warranty would be honored — hoping for the latter

The factory 4yr/50k mile warranty should transfer and remain in effect. The battery/drive unit warranty (8yr/unlimited) will remain in effect.

Can I pay a tesla dealer to do a full check on the car to see if there are any known issues? Is there a secondary partner that anyone would recommend?

Yes - Tesla can do a pre-purchase inspection. You can also take it to a place like The Electrified Garage (MA) and they will do it.

Can I pay to add on a multi-year warranty before the 4-year warranty expires?

Not from Tesla (they don't allow purchasing extended warranties on second hand cars) but you can purchase an extended X-Care warranty.

@dannycamps, @Jboy -- Thank you. Looking for 2018's after April is a huge unlock.

I know battery efficiency will go down over time with usage. What's the floor for acceptable battery degredation, 5%? 10?

Hope to join this amazing crew sooner than later.

P

@pcnyc, if it is an early 2018 with MCU1, you can also do an upgrade to MCU2 for $1500. Or there is a chance the MCU may have already been upgraded as that has been out for a year now.

Most model X’s have a shudder/vibration under hard acceleration. It is a problem with a half shaft. It is covered by warranty but the problem historically has returned for most people. Put the suspension in low and the problem should not be apparent.

If you care about any specific option, make sure the car you are intending to buy has it. For most of 2018 there were still a number of separate options that later got rolled into the base configuration.

Tesla doesn’t have dealerships. Strike that word from your vocabulary! They are all Tesla owned service centers and stores.

Reactions: Pacernow
@Bigriver -- thanks for the education (truly). I have to get the slang and terminology down. Dealerships are gone! Ha.

Great call out on the 2018 options. I'll do a search to see what the universe of options were at that time and cross-reference.

The shudder/vibration is something I will look out for as well.

Again, appreciate the response.

P

I know battery efficiency will go down over time with usage. What's the floor for acceptable battery degredation, 5%? 10?

My 2018 MX100D with 49,000 miles and mostly supercharged is at about 6.5% degradation, maybe 20 miles off range of 295 miles. Scan my Tesla shows Nominal Full pack of 93.5 kWh. Around town I actually get better range numbers, but on the highway where I spend most of the time at 75-80 mph I usually only get 3-3.5 hours or 230 miles on a start of 100% charge to 10%. Subsequent segments are usually 150-175 miles as you don't charge to 100% on the road unless you are stopping for an extended period of time. Speed really affects range. When I am on roads with a speed limit of 55-60 mph I could go a lot closer to 290 miles on a charge.

Reactions: Pacernow
Les236 - if I’m being honest, that’s where lack of EV experience comes to haunt me. All the new cars are ~300+ miles/range even at 75-80. I just can’t wait until Q2‘22 to buy a car. ’

The drop in mileage at 75-80mph is stark!! I am no speed demon but 75-80 is normal, lol.

P

There are no affords able 2018 MX right now. I’ve been looking. 75D with seven seats are almost non existent and start around $76k and up. 100D with seven seats are also difficult to find and those start around $86k and up. Hopefully next year, prices will adjust downward. The used car market is insane and I’m waiting for a correction like everyone else. I don’t know how much longer this crazy market can sustain.